Sequel: Torque II

Torque

Winds of Change

People ran screaming. A large group of daemons running rampant around the area. They tore at the buildings, smashed windows, ransacked shops and killed where they could. Violet looked on, awestruck. Maybe thirty daemons were destroying as much as they could before her very eyes. She turned an flew off at an unnatural speed, searching for Torque. There! He was fighting his way against the flow of the crowd, still running in fear. She drifted down to him.

"Violet, what's going on?" He asked her, still trying to force his way through the streets.

"Maybe as many as thirty daemons running riot maybe a block ahead!" She grabbed his hand and flew them to the top of a near by building. "Do you think this has anything to do with Beral and his plans?"

"Most likely, yeah." He said. He launched himself between the buildings. Torque headed in the direction of the daemons, jumping between gaps in buildings as if they were no more then puddles on a path. They looked down on the group of daemons, fighting through buildings, the area now devoid of humans. The two of them dropped down into the centre of the junction.

"Ok, guys. You have the count of three to get your ugly butts back to the daemon plains." Torque yelled above the rabble of the monstrosities. One of them stood out of the crowd and marched up to him. He twas maybe a full foot taller then Torque, extremely muscularly built.

"Daemon slayer, we will remain here. We signify the beginning of our Overlord Beral Khaan's plans." He roared laughter. "The Overlord told me to tell you that if we don't do it, he will personally tear your body in two." He spat this last bit out with malice making the intention clear.

Torque just drove the sword up into the daemon's gut, firing a single shot up through the daemon's chin. It slumped to the floor lifelessly. Torque turned to face the others. They charged at him, making him fall to the floor. He kicked them off, Violet helping to remove them. He began rhythmic slashes at the daemons as they came at him, firing off the odd revolver shot at them.

Violet slashed at the daemons, solidifying to attack them, evaporating when they attacked her. A daemon caught her wrist mid swing, seemingly stopping her from disappearing again. It bared it's teeth in a proud, evil smile. It swung her round, driving her face first into a brick wall. Violet fell back onto the concrete, living, but unconscious, a gash down her left cheek.

The daemon roared with pride before being swiftly decapitated by Torque. He turned to the remaining daemons. They looked at their losses before disappearing, showing their cowardice. Torque counted their dead: 23. They'd suffered badly from that and he laughed at the thought that Beral would finish them off for him. He holstered his weapons before swinging Violet over his shoulder. He put her in an undamaged chair in a restaurant.

Torque stepped out of the restaurant through the smashed window. He walked out to the centre of the junction again. The daemon's body's had melted away now. He cupped his hands around his mouth and called out, "Aria!" A tall, slender woman appeared infront of him. She was dressed in brown leather and boots. Two curved, cerated blades hung on her back a her pale blue hair matched her complexion. She had pointed ears and detailed features.

"Hello Torque." She said smiling at him. "What have you called upon me for this time? Another dipute with Violet over my favourite flavour Ice Cream?" She laughed.

"Aria, we've just had a large horde of daemons charge through the area. Buildings are damaged, we have five dead civilians and I'm not sure about wounded. If there were any, they weren't badly hurt." He looked over to Violet. "And she's unconscious."

Aria's face became straight and serious. "I was afraid this may happen. Beral Khaan is truely making his intentions to come here known. I shall call on the other Keepers. We'll do our job as you do yours. Is there anything you wish to ask of me while I'm here?"

Torque shook his head. With this Aria turned, four more people, all who looked to be the same species as her, appeared from a portal. "Clean the place up. We make it spotless. Then we shall notify the dead relatives of their losses." She clapped her hands and the group set about their work, removing shattered glass, replacing furniture, fixing damaged building. They took to bodies, one each, and took them with them, presumably to their loved ones.

Torque walked back into the restaurant through the now fixed door. He sat at the table with Violet. She moaned something inaudible and rubbed her eyes. "Did we win?" She felt to bit where he had previously had a gash, no traces left apparent.

"Yeah. We still have a few more hours of our shift to go." He said getting back up. People were already returning to the area, as if instinct had told them it was safe.

"But I have a headache." She complained. "Did Aria come?" Violet asked, following him regardless.

Torque smiled. "Yeah."

"When will that girl ever tell me what ice cream she likes!" She said frustrated.

"Calm down, you'll probably find out some day." They left to continue their day's work.
♠ ♠ ♠
I likes this chapter very much =)