Status: Complete

Believe Me, I'm Lying

Chapter Seventeen

“Jeff and Aaron.”

Two groans.

“Mason and Tyler.”

Two more groans.

“David and Jake.”

This time there was a sigh and a snort.

“Luke and Greg.”

Greg coughed, his eyes snapping wide open. “What? I told you yesterday you shouldn’t put us together!”

“Don’t be a baby,” Luke responded.

I rolled my eyes. “Please be quiet so I can finish the list. Greg. Coon-tail boy.”

Luke stared at me curiously, and I realized my mistake. A faint blush made it’s way onto my face. “I mean Luke…”

There were a few chuckles throughout the class and I cleared my throat, trying to gain their attention again. “Joey and Joel,” I said slowly, gazing at the pair to see their reactions.

Joey didn’t seem upset, but Joel furrowed his eyebrows the slightest bit.

“Tucker and Zak…”

The expression on Zak’s face told me he thought I was crazy. Tucker held the same expression, although he looked more irritated. Neither of them protested though.

“So,” a new voice commented, a hint of amusement in his tone. “That means me and Oli, eh?”

Oliver shot a glare at Arden. “How many times do I have to tell you not to call me Oli?”

“More than that,” Arden shot back.

I frowned at the pair. “At least Oliver shows up for class,” I commented casually.

Okay, so that was a little immature, but I was still annoyed by the fact Arden had skipped class yesterday to hang out with his girlfriend— no, one of his girlfriends.

Arden turned to me with a frown, but didn’t say anything. Looking away from him, I turned to Oliver who was looking at me with a bored expression. None of the guys had moved to a spot with their new partner. A small sigh escaped my lips.

“Oliver, you and your partner move there,” I commanded, pointing at the first table on the right side of the room. “Behind them will be Zak and Tucker, then Luke and Greg, then David and Jake. On the other side it will be Joel and Joey in the front, then Mason and Tyler, then Jeff and Aaron... Get going.”

The scraping of chairs and boys muttering filled the room as the pairs went to their new tables. As each pair sat at their new table, they pushed their chairs to the complete opposite end to put as much space between them as they could. It took all I had not to roll my eyes at them.

“Alright, today we’re going back to the desserts again,” I started, clapping my hands together to get everyone’s attention. “Since today is the first November, I thought we’d bake something that relates to the fall—”

“Pumpkin pie?” Arden cried, his eyes lighting up in excitement.

“No,” I responded flatly.

Arden’s face fell and he adverted his gaze. “Oh. Sorry.”

I chewed on my lip for a moment, staring at him. I was being too harsh on him. He only skipped school— every now and then I did too when I went to school. There was no reason for me to be so catty.

“You were close though,” I told him, lightening my tone. “It’s a type of pie.”

Arden looked back up at me, a grin on his face now. “Really?”

“Apple?” Oliver guessed in an off-hand voice.

“Blueberry!” Luke chirped.

I made a face. “No way. Blueberries are gross.”

“No they’re not,” Luke protested, looking incredulous. “They are the best!”

“Well, we’re making apple pie. Oliver was right,” I told him, pushing a lock of my chestnut hair behind my ear. “Fortunately for us, we have pre-made crust, so we just have to make the insides.”

Tucker snorted. “You mean we’re spending all period cutting up apples?”

“You do want to be able to take your pie home, don’t you?” I responded, raising an eyebrow. “We need time to bake it. Hopefully cutting the apples won’t take all period…”

“I want to take my pie home!” Zak interjected, thrusting his hand into the air. “Can we get started now?”

I nodded. “Sure. I just need to get the apples from the back. Would anyone be willing to help—”

“I will.”

I turned to Oliver in surprise. Since when did he become so willing to help me? Oliver pushed away from the table and stood up, heading towards the supply room. I quickly followed him, still puzzled.

“The apples are over here,” I said, moving past Oliver to the back counter, where a few bags of apples were. “There’s a lot so we might need to make two trips.” I scooped up two of the bags in my arms and turned around, smacking straight into Oliver.

He quickly grabbed the front of my shirt to steady me, a frown on his face. “Don’t forget you’re working tonight.”

“I didn’t,” I responded, taking a step back. “Be at the bar for six.”

Oliver released my shirt. “I’ll pick you up.”

“You don’t have to. I have a car.”

“It’s easier.”

“No it’s not,” I responded, furrowing my brow. “It’s easier if I just drove myself there, that way you wouldn’t have to drive me home after we were done.”

Oliver glared at me. “I’m pick you up, and that’s it.”

I huffed at him. “Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why do you have to pick me up?” I demanded. “Is there some kind of reason as to why you want to?”

Oliver scowled at me, looking away. “No.”

“Sure there isn’t.”

“There isn’t!”

“Could it be that you want to see Elliot?” I guessed randomly, smirking.

To my surprise Oliver’s face grew the slightest shade of red. My eyes widened in surprise.

“No kidding!”

“It’s not because of that,” Oliver snapped, turning to glare at me. “It’s just easier!”

I couldn’t help a grin from appearing on my face. “Aw, you really do like little kids, huh?”

“Shut up.”

“You know,” I started, nudging him in the shoulder with my shoulder, “you could just ask me if you want to see Elliot. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind making a new friend to play videogames with.”

Oliver opened his mouth to retort, but abruptly shut it, looking away again. “Move,” he ordered, shoving me out of the way so he could grab the rest of the bags of apples.

A soft sigh escaped my lips. Apparently Oliver didn’t take teasing too well. But it was really cute how he wanted to see Elliot but didn’t want to admit it. I wondered briefly if Oliver had any younger siblings… He must, otherwise he wouldn’t be so keen on seeing Elliot. Unless he didn’t have any siblings and he’s always wanted a little brother like Elliot. Aw, that was too cute!

“Stop grinning like an idiot,” Oliver grunted, shoving past me. “You look ridiculous.”

I just simpered at him, ignoring his jibes. “I would have never guessed you like little kids.”

“Just shut up!”

Knowing not to push his limits, I kept my mouth shut, and the grin on my face. It would be good for Elliot to have someone new to talk to. Being home-schooled didn’t give him a chance to meet other children his age. Even though Oliver was a lot older, he was still someone for Elliot to talk to.

Oliver passed out a bag of apples to each table as I went back into the supply room to get knives and peelers. A feeling of anxiousness washed over me as I grabbed the knife set, looking at their sharp blades. Was it really a good idea to give delinquents sharp knives? Especially since I paired them up with people they obviously didn’t get along with? My rational side said it wasn’t a smart idea, but another part of me said that these boys were smart enough to know better than to attack each other with knives.

Silence filled the classroom as everyone started peeling apples. Not one person was talking to their partner. Arden was grumpily peeling an apple, a scowl on his face as Oliver did the same, his body angled away from Arden. Every now and then someone would let out a heavy sigh. I sat at my desk, watching the class with a bored expression.

“You know,” I finally started, tiring of the silence, “you can talk to each other.”

Almost everyone gave me a dirty look and I quickly adverted my gaze, a wry smile slipping onto my face. Apparently no one was feeling amiable today. From the corner of my eye I saw Arden reaching for a knife, and I quickly turned my head to watch him. He caught me staring and he grinned, waving the knife in his hand at me.

I grimaced. “Don’t wave a knife around.”

“It’s fine,” he assured me. “I’m a pro at handling knives.”

Oliver snorted. “Yeah. Okay.”

Arden scowled at his partner. “No one asked your opinion, Oli.”

“Don’t. Call. Me. That!”

“Whatever you want, Oli,” Arden responded, turning his attention to the apple in front of him. He put the knife on the edge of the apple, and began cutting. Towards himself.

“I thought you said you were a pro with a knife,” I commented, hurrying forwards, and stopping his hand with mine.

“I do,” Arden insisted stubbornly, trying to pull his hand free of mine.

“No,” I argued, keeping a tight grasp on his hand. “First of all, you don’t cut towards yourself! Cut down.”

Arden gave me a flat look, puffing out his chest. “I knew that.”

“You’d think with all your girlfriends one of them would have at least taught you how to cut,” I sighed, letting go of his hand.

“What?” Arden gave me a hard look. “What are you talking about? ‘All my girlfriends’?”

Oliver snickered and I shot him a glare before returning my attention to Arden. I really needed to watch my mouth. “Um, never mind.”

“No, tell me,” Arden demanded. “What do you mean?”

I mentally slapped myself. Tucker gave me a warning look from behind Arden and I grimaced at him. “I don’t mean anything. I was just—”

“Ow!”

My eyes snapped to Tucker, who was holding out his hand and shaking it. It took me a second to notice the blood on it. Arden turned around with a frown, staring at Tucker.

“Dude, are you okay?” Zak asked, leaning towards Tucker.

Tucker, Arden, Oliver, and I all looked at Zak in surprise. Zak stared back at us quizzically.

“What?” he demanded.

Arden raised an eyebrow. “Why are you asking him if he’s alright?”

“Obviously since he accidentally cut himself,” Zak responded, furrowing his eyebrows.

“Hmm, so you care?” I asked with a smile.

Zak gave me a confused look. “I thought you wanted us to get along? Is it weird for me to ask if he’s okay?”

“No!” I said quickly, my smile growing. “It’s great!”

“Don’t expect it too much,” Zak warned me, eying my excited expression warily. “This doesn’t mean we are friends.”

“It’s a step forward!” I chirped.

Tucker waved his hand at me. “Ms. Allen… My hand?”

“Oh,” I gasped, turning back to him. “Sorry! Here let me see it.” I held out my hand, and after a second of hesitation Tucker placed his hand into it. Luckily, it was small and shallow cut. “We’ll disinfect it and put a band-aid on it, and you’ll be set,” I told Tucker, pulling on his hand. “Come on.”

Arden gave me a suspicious look as I tugged Tucker towards the supply room. He and Tucker also exchanged a look I couldn’t make out. Tucker went to wash off his cut while I pulled out the first aid kit Will had restocked for me over the weekend. The disinfectant was at the top, so I grabbed it and tossed it to Tucker while I dug for the band-aids.

After a few seconds I heard Tucker hiss in pain and I held in my laugh. I lifted up a package of medical tape and my eyes flew wide open when they landed on the next item in the kit.

“Where’s the band-aid?” Tucker demanded, now hovering over me.

I stared at the band-aid box in horror. “Um, well… You see,” I mumbled, grabbing the band-aid box and holding it out to Tucker. “I think Will put my brother’s band-aids into the box instead of the ones I bought…”

Tucker stared at the box for a few minutes, his expression unreadable. I looked at the box too, seeing the rainbow colored ponies printed on it. I probably had the only little brother in the world obsessed with My Little Pony. Tucker eventually locked gazes with me, and then, to my surprise, he laughed.

“My Little Pony?” he asked, taking the box. “Your little brother likes that?”

“Yeah,” I muttered, feeling my face heat up. “If you want you can go down to the nurse—”

Tucker shook his head, smirking. “No, I’ll use one of these.”

“Really?”

Tucker nodded, opening the box, and taking out one of the band-aids. I watched in amusement as he opened the package and wrapped it around his injured finger, the ponies in plain sight. I couldn’t help but to laugh. Tucker rolled his eyes at me.

“Ms. Allen, before we go back out there, I want to tell you something.”

I cocked my head to the side. “What?”

“Um, I didn’t really explain enough about what Arden was doing last night,” Tucker said, a little uncomfortably. “It’s not that he’s dating more than one girl. I don’t even think he has a girlfriend at the moment.”

Relief washed through me, but I quickly shoved it away. What was there to be relieved about? If he wasn’t with a girlfriend, what did Tucker mean? “Then what was he doing?”

“I can’t really—”

Tucker was cut off by a loud, crashing noise from the other room. He looked at me in surprise, and we both hurried towards the door. I was out first, looking around the room for the source of the noise.

“Hey, watch out!”

Tucker suddenly yanked me to the side and not even a second later I saw an apple go whizzing by where my head just was. I inhaled sharply, giving Tucker a thankful look.

“You two! Stop it!”

My attention turned to Arden, who had his arms around Joel, who was trying to attack Joey. Oliver was in front of Joey, glaring at Joel and Arden. Tucker and I exchanged confused glances as I hurried towards them.

“What happened?” I demanded in disbelief. “I wasn’t even gone three minutes and I come back to almost be murdered by an apple!”

“Sorry about that,” Joel apologized immediately. “It was meant for Joey,” he added, glaring at his twin.

“That doesn’t make it okay!” I cried, staring at the twins. “What’s going on?”

“A fight,” Joel responded, stating the obvious.

“Thank you Captain Obvious,” I snapped.

“You’re welcome, Lieutenant Sarcasm.”

Arden sighed, smacking Joel over the head lightly “Dude, don’t disrespect the teacher. Remember, you have a soccer game this weekend.”

Joel scowled. “Sorry,” he apologized.

“It’s fine,” I told him with a frown. “What were you two fighting about now?”

Joel didn’t answer me, so I turned to Joey. Olive moved out of the way so I could see him, and he stare at the floor, avoiding my gaze.

I pursed my lips. “Who’s going to tell me? I’m waiting.”

Neither of the twins answered. I turned to Oliver. “Do you know?”

“How would I?” he snapped.

“Arden?”

He shook his head. “Nope. They just randomly started after each other.”

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. “Okay. How about this: If you don’t tell me what you two were arguing about, you both get detention Friday.”

Both their heads shot to me, a look of surprise on their faces. I returned their gazes with a stern one.

“You two are brothers! You shouldn’t be arguing so much!”

“It’s none of your business,” Joel snapped.

“I know it’s not, but since you’re in my classroom fighting, I have a right to know!” I told him. “You two will both stay after school Friday. If you argue anymore during this week, I’ll keep adding on.”

“But I have soccer practice all next week,” Joel protested.

“And I have to go to my job!” Joey added.

I held up my hands. “Then you two will have to get along, huh?”

Before anyone could say anything else, the bell rang. I looked at the clock in surprise. Class was over already? Immediately the group dispersed, going to gather up their personal belongings. I frowned, looking at the mess on all the tables.

“Ms. Allen?”

I looked up to see Zak standing in front of me, his hands in his pockets. “Yeah?”

“I don’t have work today, so if you want… I can stay and help you clean up?”

“Really?”

Zak nodded. “I want to help.”

I grinned at him. “Well, I’m not going to say no.”

Students were now filing out of the door, in a rush to go home or to sports practice, or to a job. The last people left were Oliver, Arden, Tucker, Zak, and myself. Oliver gave me a meaningful look that said “you better be ready later” before exiting.

“Um, Tucker,” I said as Tucker threw his bag over his shoulder. “About that thing I asked you to make earlier, will you do it?”

Tucker looked at me curiously for a few minutes. “What thing?”

“You know… The list?”

Recognition flashed in his eyes and he immediately lowered his gaze. “I guess,” he muttered.

“Thank you!”

“What list?” Arden asked curiously, frowning at me.

I waved my hand. “It’s nothing. Have a good day, Mr. Bring.”

“Tucker?”

“It’s nothing,” Tucker snapped, glaring at Arden.

Arden looked taken aback for a moment, and then he shrugged. “Okay then…”

Tucker exited the room, and was quickly followed by Arden. Zak watched the pair leave with an amused expression.

“You and Tucker have something going on?” Zak joked.

I rolled my eyes. “No. It’s just… Nothing.”

“Oh,” Zak responded, letting it drop. “Shall we get started then?”

“Yeah. There’s a lot to clean up…”

Zak grinned “
at me. “Want to make at least one pie with everyone’s apples that were already cut up?”

“You want to?”

“Yeah!”

I laughed. “Okay, let’s get started then. But I have to be out of here by four.”

“We’d better hurry then,” Zak responded, going to the first table and gathering up all the apple slices.

I nodded. Will and Elliot would be very excited when I brought two pieces of pie home for them.