Status: Complete

Believe Me, I'm Lying

Chapter Twenty-Three

“Harley! Psst! Harley!”

I paused, trying to figure out if I was imagining my name being called or not. When nothing else came, I resumed in my table wiping, leaning across the table so I could reach the other side.

“Harley!”

This time I quickly snapped my head towards the source of the sound, catching the silhouette of a person disappearing into the hall that led to the employee lounge. I glanced around the room, locating Oliver at the cash register. My eyebrows pulled together in confusion.

“Harley!”

Throwing my rag down on the table, I turned, and began to walk cautiously towards the hallway. I slowly looked around the corner. No one was there. I frowned, wondering if I was imagining things. Suddenly Anthony appeared in my vision, seemingly appearing out of nowhere. My heart skipped a beat and I took a step backwards in surprise.

“Boo,” he said, grinning.

I let out a slow breath, trying to calm my heart. “How did you do that?”

“Secret,” he responded with a wink. “Do you want to take a break?”

“Now?”

Anthony nodded. “Yeah. Why don’t you and Oliver go get something to eat together?”

“I don’t really need a break,” I told Anthony. “Wiping tables isn’t that hard.”

He shook his head. “That’s not why I’m giving you a break.”

I gave him a confused look. “I don’t know what you mean.”

“You’ve been walking around looking depressed since you got here,” Anthony pointed out. “I’ve never seen you in such low spirits.”

“I’m not depressed—”

“You’re clearly upset about something.”

I shook my head. “I’m just… tired.”

Anthony frowned. “Lying is a bad habit, Harley.”

“I know,” I whispered, dropping my gaze. If anyone knew that, it was definitely me.

“Come on,” Anthony ordered, grabbing my upper arm and dragging me towards the cash register. “You’re going to go eat.”

“I’d rather clean,” I protested, trying to pull free from his grasp. “It’s really nothing—”

“Oliver!” Anthony called, waving at his son. “Oliver, take a break.”

Oliver turned to scowl at us. “I’ll take my break when I want my break.”

“Then you can take another one later, but you’re taking one now.”

Oliver looked thrown off guard. “What?”

“Take Harley out to eat,” Anthony suggested, giving my back a forceful slap. “Before her gloom seeps into our customers.”

“I’m fine,” I stated forcefully, giving Anthony a meaningful look.

“Oliver.”

Oliver shrugged, ducking under the counter. “I’m not going to refuse a paid break.”

“I never said it was paid—”

“Let’s go, Harley,” Oliver ordered, putting a hand on my shoulder, and steering me away from Anthony. “See you later, old man.”

“I’m not old!”

Oliver continued to push me until we arrived at the exit. I watched as he discarded his apron, tossing it onto one of the benches that lined the front waiting area. After a moment I quickly took mine off too, throwing it on top of Oliver’s.

“Where do you want to go?” Oliver asked as we left the bar.

I shrugged. “You choose.”

“Sure. Let’s go to the Chinese place down the street. My mom used to take me there a lot,” he explained, gesturing with his head for me to follow him. “It’s good.”

“Okay.”

Oliver turned his head, giving me a flat look. “What’s wrong with you?”

“There’s nothing wrong with me,” I snapped. “I’m fine.”

“No, because you’re not as annoying as you usually are.”

Oliver thought I was annoying? I smiled wryly. “Gee, I’m sorry for not bothering you.”

He rolled his eyes. “This might be a shot in the dark, but I’m going to guess that you’re upset over something that has to do with Arden.”

“I’m not upset! Why does everyone think I’m upset? I’m fine!”

“You’re a little liar.”

I glared at Oliver for a moment, caught between annoyance and pain. Did everyone have to point out how much of a liar I was? I got it already. Without responding, I hurried down the street, trying to leave Oliver behind. He chuckled from behind me, and I heard his paste quicken to match mine.

“Touching a nerve, am I?”

“Go away, Oliver.”

“You shouldn’t feel bad about lying to Arden,” he told me. “He lies all the time.”

I quickly glanced over my shoulder at Oliver, narrowing my eyes at him. “Maybe Arden used to lie, but he wouldn’t lie to me. I trust him.”

“So I take it he trusts you too?”

Clenching my jaw, I ignored Oliver. He purposely bumped his shoulder against mine. “If you worried about what he will say if he kinds out your true age, don’t bother.”

“Why not?” I asked in surprise, forgetting I was planning on ignoring him.

“Arden’s a good guy,” Oliver told me, surprising me more. “I’m sure he’ll understand.”

I stopped, turning to face Oliver, raising an eyebrow. “I thought you hated him?”

“I do.”

“Then why…?”

“Just because I hate him doesn’t mean I don’t think he’s a good guy.”

I gave Oliver a confused look. “Why do you hate him?”

Oliver’s friendly aura suddenly dropped. He narrowed his eyes at me, a frown slipping on his face. “That’s not your business.”

“I know. But Arden told me that the reason you two aren’t friends anymore is because you broke off the friendship.”

Oliver made an annoyed face. “Why do you guys talk about me?”

“Why did you stop being friends with him?”

“Claire moved us,” Oliver told me with a shrug. “We didn’t live near each other anymore.”

I pursed my lips. “That didn’t mean you two had to stop being friends.”

“Look, I just didn’t want to be friends with him anymore, okay?”

“No, I want to know why,” I said stubbornly.

“You’re prying,” Oliver excused.

I puffed out my chest. “Well I’m curious.”

“Well it’s none of your business,” Oliver snapped, brushing by me. “Come on, let’s go eat.”

Frowning, I followed Oliver up to the Chinese restaurants entrance. The front room was cluttered with people talking animatedly. Oliver scowled in annoyance and I couldn’t help but smile. Did he expect it to be empty in here? He wedged in between an old couple and quickly followed, apologizing as I pushed past them.

“We’ll get take out and go back to the bar,” Oliver told me, standing in the take-out line. “I don’t feel like waiting for a table.”

“Sure,” I responded, leaning against a counter that held a large goldfish tank. For a second I watched the large fish swimming around in a pack, mesmerized by their color.

Suddenly Oliver stepped back into me, blocking my view, and bringing us to an uncomfortable proximity. He glanced over his shoulder as if he was surprised I was behind him.

“What are you doing?” I asked casually, trying to slip out from behind him.

He shot me a panicked look. “We have to leave.”

“Why?”

“Never mind, let’s just go—”

A high-pitched squeal suddenly broke the murmurs of those surrounding us. “Oli!”

Oliver tensed, his head snapping back to the front. “Hey, Lily.”

Lily? My eyes widened considerably and I looked around Oliver to see an adorable young girl standing before Oliver, her eyes wide in excitement. Immediately I recognized Oliver’s bright blue eyes, and his umber hair— which she had tied into two, cute, little ponytails.

Lily moved forward, wrapping her little arms around Oliver’s legs. “Oli, I’ve missed you!”

Oliver stood stock-still, his hands straight at his sides. A frown crossed my face. Wasn’t Oliver good with kids? He never acted like this around Elliot— and Elliot wasn’t related to him like Lily was. When Lily pulled away she grinned largely up at her brother.

“Where are your mom and dad?” Oliver asked, looking around. “Are you with them?”

Lily nodded, pointing towards the back of the room. “They are sitting at the table. When I saw you I came right over!”

Oliver and I both followed Lily’s pointing finger and located a couple that were pushing away from a table in the back. Oliver let out a sigh of frustration as the couple started towards us. My eyebrows knit in confusion when I realized that the both of them looked wary. Lily grabbed Oliver’s hand and started tugging him towards them.

“Come on, Oli!”

Oliver quickly yanked his hand out of Lily’s, taking another step backward. “I have to go—”

“Lily!” a sharp voice rang out, and I turned to see it belong to the woman who I assumed was Lily’s mother. She had dirty blonde hair that short and cropped, framing her face. Her eyes were a dull brown, and for some reason, she looked nervous.

“Mom! Look who it is!” Lily cried excitedly, going to her step-mom. “It’s Oli! Remember?”

Lily’s step-mom glanced at Oliver. “I remember. Hello, Oliver.”

“Hello Kate,” Oliver muttered, adverting his gaze. “Andy.”

Andy, Lily’s step-dad, nodded in greeting to Oliver, his facial expression staying blank. He had short, curly brown hair, and bright green eyes. He didn’t resemble Lily at all. Nor did Kate.

Kate’s eyes slid over to me and I quickly threw a grimace at her, unable to pull out a smile. What Oliver had asked earlier was bothering me. Where are your mom and dad?

“Are you Oliver’s friend?” she asked, giving me a small smile.

“Um, yeah,” I responded, glancing at Oliver. He was staring determinedly at the fish tank, his jaw clenched.

Lily looked up at me in excitement. “I’m Oli’s friend too!”

“Oliver’s… friend?” I echoed, my eyebrows knitting in confusion. “I though you were—”

Suddenly Oliver’s hand was over my mouth, holding it tightly. Kate let out a gasp of surprise, taking a step backwards. Andy took a step backwards, looking menacingly at Oliver. Lily looked confused, looking between Oliver and myself, her mouth slightly open.

“We’re leaving,” Oliver stated in a hard voice, shooting me a glare.

I stared back at him in surprise, reaching my hands up to pull his hand away from my mouth. He held his hand against my mouth firmly, glancing back at Andy and Kate. I followed his gaze and saw Kate giving me a scared look.

“Oliver,” Andy said in a warning voice.

Oliver dropped his glare and turned to Andy, a frown on his face. “We’re leaving. Enjoy your dinner.”

“You’re leaving?” Lily asked in a disappointed voice. “But Oli—”

Oliver sent me a warning look before pulling his hand away from my mouth. He then crouched down in front of Lily, putting on a tight smile. “Sorry Lily. I’ve got to get back to work.”

“But you just got here,” she protested. “I haven’t seen you in forever!”

“Sorry,” Oliver apologized again. “Maybe we’ll see each other again in the near future.”

Lily pouted. “Fine.” She quickly threw herself at Oliver, putting her arms around his neck in a hug. “Soon!”

Oliver froze, trying to stay as still as possible. Kate and Andy exchanged an alarmed look, which didn’t go by unseen. I stared at them incredulously.

“What was that look for?” I accused them, feeling irritated for some reason.

Kate looked at me in surprise. “What look?”

“The look you’ve been giving Oliver ever since you saw him,” I snapped. “The one that makes me think he’s a murderer or something.”

“Harley,” Oliver snapped, shooting me another warning look. “Drop it.”

I glanced at him. “What? Why? They’re acting like—”

“I said drop it,” he growled, lightly pulling Lily away from him.

Andy quickly stepped forward, pulling Lily towards him. Lily frowned, looking up at her stepfather. Kate cleared her throat, nodding once to Oliver. “Nice to see you again,” she said.

“You too,” Oliver responded, turning his back. “Let’s go.”

“But Oliver—”

Oliver grabbed my upper arm, dragging me towards the exit. “Shut up.”

I glanced back at Kate, Lily, and Andy. Lily was staring after Oliver, looking like she was going to cry. Andy and Kate, however, both looked relieved. Oliver didn’t let go of my arm until we were all the way back on the street. He dropped my arm, immediately turning his back to me, and heading back towards the bar.

“Oliver!” I called after him, quickly hurrying forwards. “Wait a minute!”

He ignored me. I scowled, grabbing his arm, and pulling him to a stop. He turned to glare at me. “What?”

“What… What the heck was that all about?” I demanded, looking back towards the Chinese place. “Why did Lily…?”

“Lily doesn’t know I’m her brother.”

My jaw-dropped. “What?”

Oliver gave me a hard look. “I think that’s pretty self-explanatory.”

“But… But…” I trailed off, unable to think of anything to say. Lily didn’t know Oliver was her brother? “Do Andy and Kate know?”

“Duh.”

“Then why doesn’t Lily?”

Oliver clenched his jaw, looking to the side. “It’s better this way. Kate, Andy, and Lily make a nice family.”

“But Oliver…”

“It’s better than having Lily grow up without knowing who her real mom and dad are, isn’t? Better than having her wonder why her older brother’s family refuses to talk to her? At least with Kate and Andy she can have a normal life.”

I stared at Oliver, biting my lip. “Why did Andy and Kate seem so…” I hesitated, trying to think of the right words.

“Why did they look at me like I might attack someone?” Oliver guessed, his hard expression returning. “Because apparently they don’t let things go.”

“What do you mean?”

“Because I got angry and attacked Andy before,” Oliver stated simply. “And then my dad because he was in the same room at the time.”

I stared at him in surprise. “What? Why?”

Oliver rolled his eyes. “Imagine someone trying to take Elliot away from you. And it just so happens the man who is giving Elliot away and the man who is taking Elliot away are in the same room as you, and you’re angry with both of them because they are taking Elliot away from you without your say.”

My fists clenched. “No one—”

“Exactly,” Oliver cut me off. “You’d be angry. I was angry. And I just lost control. Hence why I was sent to Wesley Academy. The funny thing is it was Claire who decided I should go here. My dad forgave me right away because he understood what I was going through.”

“Claire?” I stated in shock.

“Yep.”

“But if your dad forgave you, then why did she…?”

Oliver shrugged. “Maybe the same reason Kate’s afraid to let Lily around me. It might happen again. But I’m not as immature as I was back then.”

I furrowed my eyebrows, frowning deeply. “I thought you said Kate and Andy were good people.”

“They are good people.”

“No they’re not!”

“Yes, they are,” Oliver stated firmly. “They may not like me, but they love Lily. They are the best for her, and I appreciate that.”

I ducked my head, glaring at the ground. Even if Oliver said that, they should at least let Oliver see Lily. I couldn’t imagine not being able to see Elliot. The thought made my heart clench uncomfortably. “You’re a strong person, Oliver.”

Oliver looked at me in surprise, raising an eyebrow. “For what?”

“Putting your sister over yourself.”

Oliver shrugged. “You would do the same, wouldn’t you? I’m no different than you are.”

I looked back up at him, smiling slightly. “I would. I guess we’re more alike than I thought.”

Oliver snorted. “I’m nothing like you. You’re a little girl.”

“I’m not a little girl!”

“Aw, is the little girl upset?” Oliver teased, smirking at me. “Want me to buy you a lollipop?”

I glared at him. “You’re only a year older than me!”

“Come on, little girl,” Oliver said, putting a hand on my shoulder, ignoring my retort. “The pizza place is calling. I don’t feel like going back to work yet.”

I frowned. “Won’t Anthony be angry?”

“He’ll understand,” Oliver responded with a shrug. “You’re in a better mood now, right?”

My mouth opened slightly. I had been so caught up about Oliver, I had forgotten about Arden. Immediately my shoulders sagged. “No…”

Oliver smirked. “Whatever your worrying about, worry about it later. I want pizza and a paid break. One night without feeling bad won’t hurt, right?”

I hesitated for a moment. If I was with Oliver, I could forget about lying to Arden for at least a little while. Then I could figure out what I should do about it. A smile made its way to my face. “One night.”

Oliver nodded. “You can go back to pain and guilt tomorrow.”

“Whoop-de-do,” I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. “I can’t wait.”