Status: Complete

Believe Me, I'm Lying

Chapter Twenty-Six

Nearly scalding hot water rained down on my back as I stood under the shower nozzle, trying to relax my muscles. An abrupt knock at the door made me start. Yanking the curtains open, I stuck my head out. “What?”

“Harley?”

“Will?”

“What?”

I smiled, rolling my eyes. “What do you want?”

“Your phone is ringing.”

“Well I’m in the shower—”

“I’m coming in. I’ll pick it up for you.”

“No, Will—”

The sound of the door opening cut me off, and I quickly yanked the shower curtains closed again. “Hello?” I heard Will say. “Yeah, she’s right here. Hold on, let me give her the phone.”

Scowling, I quickly turned the water off so there wouldn’t be any background noise. Opening the shower curtain only the slightest bit, I stuck my hand out for my phone. Will placed it in my hand and I quickly retracted it, closing the curtain. “Hello?” I asked, putting the phone to my ear.

“Hi Harley!”

“Who’s this?”

“Anthony.”

I blinked. “Oh, hi. Um, what’s up?”

“What are you doing right now?”

“Er… dishes,” I lied, goosebumps starting to pop up on my skin. “Why?”

“Well I was hoping you could come in tonight,” Anthony explained, sounding sheepish. “I know you don’t usually work Wednesdays, but two of our workers called in sick, and you’re the only one I can get a hold of right now.”

I stuck my head out of the shower, making sure Will had left the bathroom before I stepped out. “Sure, let me just ask my neighbor if he can watch my little brother.”

“Sure.”

After carefully wrapping a tower around me, I padded out to the kitchen where Will was eating soup with Elliot. “Hey Will. Do you think you can watch Elliot for a little while?”

Will cocked his head to the side. “Why?”

“Work.”

“Ah,” Will responded with a knowing look. “Sure. Don’t stay out too late though. You have school tomorrow.”

I nodded to Will before turning back towards my bedroom. “Yeah, Anthony, I can come in.”

“Thank you so much!” he responded enthusiastically. “You’re a life saver!”

I laughed. “It’s no problem.”

“See you in a little bit then?”

“Yep.”

“Bye, Harley. Thanks again.”

“Anytime.”

I entered my room, tossing away my towel, and going to my closet to pull out work clothes. If I calculated the time in my head correctly, I had half an hour to dress, dry my hair, and quickly eat something for dinner in order to make it to the bar in time. I had to hurry.

With ten minutes to spare, I emerged from my room, dressed and ready. I quickly ran a brush through my hair a few times, getting rid of the left over tangles. Elliot and Will were still in the kitchen at the table, their bowls now empty. Elliot was doodling on a piece of paper while Will was reading the newspaper. He looked up when I entered, going straight to the fridge.

“Are you going to drive yourself?” he questioned as I pulled out a jug of milk. “I could give you a ride if you want.”

I shook my head, putting the milk onto the table. Then I moved to the cupboard to pull out a box of Fruit Loops. “It’d be easier if I drove myself. Elliot needs to go to bed soon, anyway.”

“No I don’t,” Elliot protested now looking up at me with a pouting expression.

“You need to stop staying up until ten—”

“Pig, you stay up later!”

“I’m older.”

“I’m staying up,” Elliot responded defiantly, crossing his arms. “You can’t make me go to bed!”

I gave him a flat look. “I can’t because I won’t be here, but Will can. Right Will?”

He sighed, putting down his newspaper. “Sure, make me the bad guy.”

“That’s what you’re good for,” I responded, dropping down into the seat next to him. “Get me a spoon.”

Will pushed back in his seat and reached over to the silverware drawer, opening it, and pulling out a spoon. He tossed it to me and I barely managed to catch it. I dropped it into my bowl, pouring some cereal and milk into it. Will returned to his newspaper as I began to eat as quickly as I could without choking.

“It’s times like these were I think your nickname is very fitting,” Will drawled, his eyes never leaving the paper.

I sent him a glare he didn’t look up to see. “I’m in a hurry.” To prove my point, I dropped my spoon into my bowl, pushing away from the table. “Wash my dish for me, will you?”

“Of course your majesty. And while I’m at it, would you like me to polish your shoes and hand wash your linens?”

“Well if you insist…”

Will gave me a sarcastic look. “Go to work. Be careful.”

The trip to the bar took a little longer than I expected. When Oliver drove, it only took half-an-hour to make it there, when I drove, it took forty-five minutes. It made me wonder just how much faster Oliver drove than me. I pulled into the parking lot, skidding through the slush as I took the corner too sharply. Luckily for me, the closest employee parking space was open and waiting for me.

Cold air bit my exposed cheeks as I hurried towards the bar, shoving my hands deep inside my warm pockets. As soon as I stepped into the lively pub my body defrosted. I hurried towards the lounge, throwing my jacket onto the hook by the vending machines. I straightened out my blouse and threw on the black work apron before rushing back into the main room, pushing my hair out of my face.

Anthony was nowhere to be found. Some old woman I didn’t know was working at the cash register and the usual bartender was behind the bar, taking orders. My eyes searched the room for Anthony, and narrowed when he realized he wasn’t around.

Just as I was about to go back to the lounge room my eyes caught the sight of someone oddly familiar. A young man with mahogany colored hair was wiping down a table in the far corner of the bar. Slowly, I started towards the worker, my eyes widening in surprise. The young man turned around just as I came to a stop behind him. Piercing grey eyes met mine.

“Arden?” I said in disbelief, staring at him incredulously.

Arden looked just as surprised as I felt. “Harley?”

“You work here?”

Arden gave me a panicked look. “Yes, but Harley, I promise I don’t drink—”

I laughed, cocking an eyebrow at him. “You don’t need to tell me that. Where have you been?”

Arden had been absent the past three days of school. It was unfortunate too, because I had finally worked up enough courage to tell him the truth about my age. After the whole scene at the graveyard, guilt had eaten away at me until I couldn’t take it anymore. And of course Arden was nowhere to be found.

“Sick,” he explained, giving me a sheepish grin. “Too much fun out in the snow the other night.”

I smiled at the memory. “Oh, well sorry about that.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“Well since we’re both here, can I talk to you about something?” I requested, a nervous feeling spreading through my gut. “It’s kind of important.”

Arden cocked his head to the side. “About what?”

“Just something.”

“Well, I’m on break in about ten minutes if you want to wait,” he told me, a grin spreading across his face.

I smiled back at him. “I can wait.”

“Harley!” a new voice called, sounding relieved. “I was beginning to think you were going to be a no show!”

Arden’s eyes snapped over my shoulder, and I turned to see Anthony hurrying towards me. “I drive slow, apparently,” I informed him.

He laughed. “Well, as long as you’re here.” Anthony turned to Arden, his eyes widening slightly. “Oh! Harley, this is Arden—”

“I know,” I interjected, grinning.

“You two know each other?” Anthony questioned, sounding baffled.

Arden nodded, turning to look at Anthony. “She’s my teacher.”

“Teacher?” Anthony repeated, his eyes becoming as wide as saucers.

Immediately a feeling of trepidation swept through me. I knew what Anthony was going to say before he probably even knew it— and it was not good. I tried desperately to think of something to say so that I could stop him. “Hey, Anthony—”

“Harley, I thought you’re only seventeen?”

The color drained from my face. He said it. Anthony had exposed my secret… He exposed my secret right in front of Arden before I could. Even though I finally decided I was going to!

Arden’s face went blank. I watched him apprehensively, waiting for him to start laughing or yelling. When no reaction came, I furrowed my eyebrows. Why wasn’t he upset? Why wasn’t he saying anything? His silence was unsettling.

“I didn’t know you could be a teacher at such a young age,” Anthony mused, scratching his chin.

“You’re… seventeen?” Arden finally questioned, his voice low.

I quickly returned my attention back to Arden, swallowing nervously. “Um, yeah…”

Arden’s face abruptly hardened, his shoulders tensing. “Are you kidding me right now?”

“I can explain,” I said quickly, a panicky feeling spreading through my chest from his sudden change in demeanor. “Arden—”

Arden shook his head, setting his jaw. “I don’t want an explanation, Harley. You lied to me!”

“But I can explain—”

“That doesn’t make the fact that you lied to me any better!”

“But I—”

“I don’t want excuses Harley! We made a promise! Do you know what a promise is?”

I gave Arden a pleading look. “I’m not making up excuses! Just let me explain!”

“How do I know you won’t just lie again?” he shot back, narrowing his eyes.

“I didn’t lie to just you,” I responded pathetically.

Arden’s eyes flashed. “That’s right, you lied to everyone. And is that the only thing you lied about?”

“What do you mean?”

Arden scoffed. “As if you don’t know. Did you lie about your parents to make me feel bad? Were those graves really not your parents’?”

I looked at Arden incredulously. “No! Arden! I wouldn’t lie about that!”

“Well how the hell would I know what you wouldn’t lie about now, Harley?” he nearly shouted, his voice cracking.

My mouth suddenly went dry as I stared at Arden. He looked furious and hurt. Really hurt. My eyes were starting to burn— a telltale sign I was about to cry. Arden looked away from me, shoving his hands in his pocket.

“I can’t believe I trusted you,” he continued, lowering his voice again. “You promised me Harley. I needed someone I could trust, and I thought it was you. I actually thought I might have fallen for you too.”

My heart skipped a beat as Arden’s words rang in my ears. “Arden,” I breathed feebly, reaching my hand out towards him.

Arden stepped away from my hand. “Save it,” he snapped, giving me a pained look. “Don’t talk to me again.”

“Wait!” I demanded as he started walking away. He stopped for a second. “Arden, please! Let me explain!”

“No.”

Irritated, I grabbed the back of his apron. “Arden, you jerk! Listen to me!”

“I’m the jerk?” he responded, turning to look at me, his eyes shining. “Do you honestly believe I’m the bad guy here?”

“No! I don’t!” I cried quickly, my chest squeezing painfully. “I just need to explain!”

He ripped his apron out of my hand, turning to glare at me. “No!”

I flinched at the tone of his voice. Arden stormed off to the back, shoving another waiter out of his way. Anthony stared after him, his jaw on the floor. He turned to me, finally closing his mouth. Tears were filling my vision and I quickly wiped them away with the back of my hand, sniffling.

“Did I… Did I say something I shouldn’t have?” Anthony asked in horror, staring between Arden’s retreating figure and me.

I shook my head, forcing the lump in my throat away. “No… this is entirely my fault.”

“Do you want to go home?” Anthony asked softly, putting a hand on my shoulder. “You can go. Come on, change back into your other clothing.”

I shook my head. “No, I can work.”

Anthony pursed his lips. “I don’t think it’s a good idea, Harley.”

“I can work,” I protested, my eyes starting to water again. “I’ll just… I’ll just—”

“Go home,” Anthony urged, wrapping a hand around my shoulder. “I shouldn’t have called you in. I don’t know what happened, but I’m sorry I opened my mouth.”

I shook my head, feeling hot tears running down my face. “This is my fault. I would have never guessed such a small secret could cause such a problem.”

Anthony rubbed my back soothingly. “I’m sure Arden will get over it. He’s just upset right now.”

“I don’t know. Arden really trusted me.”

“He’s a good person though,” Anthony urged, leading me into the lounge. “Just give him a day or two to cool down. I’m sure you’ll be able to talk it out with him.”

“You think?”

“I know.”

Anthony grinned at me as I stared up at him, frowning. He untied the back of my apron for me and took it, hanging it on the rack. “Be careful on your way home.”

“Are you sure you don’t need help?”

“Harley, I’m not sure having you and Arden here at the same time right now is a good idea.”

My stomach dropped again and I ducked my head. “Right.”

“So I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

“I’ll be here.”

“I’m sorry again,” Anthony apologized, sending me a regretful look. “I didn’t know your age was a secret…”

I shook my head at him. “It’s fine. This is my fault.”

“No it’s not,” he responded with a frown. “It’ll blow over, okay?”

“I hope.”

Anthony sent me one last worried look before retreating out of the lounge. Tears once again threatened me, but I did my best to keep them away. This was my fault. I shouldn’t be sorry for myself. I was the one who hurt Arden, not the other way around. I was getting what I deserved. With one rogue sniffled, I slowly put back on my jacket, hitting towards the door. Before I left, I looked around the pub quickly.

Arden was standing in the far corner, leaning against the wall with his eyes shut. My heart twisted at the sight of him. After a few more seconds he pushed off from the wall, his eyes landing on me. For a split-second we stared at each other. Arden’s expression was torn between anger and distress. I was tempted to go comfort him, but just as I was about to head over, his expression dropped, a scowl appearing on his face. After one last harsh stare, he turned his back to me, storming into the kitchen.

A lump caught in my throat again as I watched his back. Hopefully Anthony was right and this would blow over. I didn’t know what I would do with myself if Arden hated me. I shoved open the bar door, stepping out into the frigid air— but I barely noticed the temperature. There were more important things on my mind to worry about.