Status: Finished, check other stories.

P.S. I Hate You

This Marriage Might Work

Terrance and I were still by the edge of the pool as more people started to come outside. We were laughing and having fun. From behind Terrance I could see James get even more angry, see him get more drunk.

I stopped smiling at a joke Terrance said. My head tilted to the side as I looked at James, his head in his hands. “Why is James such a… ass hole?” I asked.

“You don’t get it, Ever. He had a hard life. His dad is so, demanding. He never got to really see his parents. Damn before Meghan was born and they decided to have them live here, he had to be escorted to the movies.” Terrance looked behind himself and stared at James also.

“That’s no excuse. I rarely saw my parents either. With my mother planning weddings and my dad making electronics all I had was my cleaning lady, my best friend, and my dog.” I shook my head and looked at the water below my feet.

Terrance looked at me and shook his head in agreement.

I continued to stare at James. Soon enough he got up and walked over to Madiline. I knew the scene was going to be entertaining. James slugged over to Madi. The boy Madi was drooling over tapped on her shoulder. She turned around and stared at James.

“Hey baby. This is Jack, he is super yummy.” Madiline said pointing to the boy and kissed his neck.

The boy slightly pushed her off, “My name is Jordan.”

“Whatever, J and J. So J James, what are you doing here?” She asked, her voice getting higher with every word.

“I need to talk to you Madiline. I love you I really do but-” He said lightly, he took her hand. They both stumbled backwards, not falling, but really close.

She stopped him in the middle of his sentence, “But that bitch is in the fucking way!” She pointed to me, “I mean she’s not even pretty. Your parents are total retards for picking her for you. I’m right for you,” She slurred pointing to him.

“No, that’s what I have to talk to you about,” He took her shoulders and started walking backwards a bit, “I think we should break up. This is all to confusing and-” Madiline didn’t let him finish the sentence.

She pushed him, hard. We stood and walked back a little to keep ourselves from not falling as well. “No! We are not breaking up! We’re the most perfect couple in the world. You said you’d always love me. Did you lie? Well did you, James?” Madi yelled. Pushing him after ever sentence. They were terribly close to the edge of the pool.

“I’m sorry Madiline. You're just so cold hearted, mean, and not the one. I just don’t fancy you the way I used to.” James tried to comfort her. She shook her head and threw his arms off her.

“Bullshit!” She yelled, giving him the last push. The final push and that landed both of them in the water with a loud smack. “Fine,” Madiline yelled when she reached surface, “we're through. Have fun with that whore!” She pointed to me. She swam to the edge and stomped all the way inside the party.

People were looking. Gavin came behind me and put his hands on my shoulders. James was swimming over to the edge.

“Mate, I think you should be getting home right now.” Terrance said, giving James a hand to sit at the edge, where we were just sitting a moment ago.

“No, I’m fine. I just want another drink and-” Gavin shook his head at James.

“No. No more drinks. Ever, honey. Do you mind taking your fiancé home?” Gavin asked me, handing me the keys. I felt like I would be doing this often. I took the keys and nodded my head in agreement.

Gavin and Terrance got up and helped James up. We went past the backyard and through the backdoor and walked to James’ silver convertible.

“From here on out, this is your responsibility.” Gavin told me pointing to James. I looked his way. He was looking at his shoes. I sighed and hugged Gavin and Terrance. Face it Ever, you're the one who has too look out for this bastard.

“Come on James. Get in the car.” I opened the car door and pointed to James to get in. James moaned and climbed in the car. I closed the door behind him and walked over to the drivers side. I started the car and pulled out.

“James can you function enough to show me the way?” I asked. Great I was only fifteen and driving an expensive car. I've only drove three times in my whole entire life! Thankfully it was night and I don't think that drive was that long.

“Take a right,” He muttered. He started to lean my way. I let him put his head on my shoulder. “Ever, you're so pretty. How did I ever under estimate you?” He asked. I could smell the alcohol on his breath.

“James you're drunk, calm down.” I took the right and waited for James to tell me where to go next.

“Right, left, and straight, then your home. You know when your drunk you revel the truth. I don’t think I’m drunk enough for that. But what I can tell you right now is, I think you're so hot. Like bangable hot.” He said. He started to kiss my shoulder. I sped up the car a bit.

“Thanks James. But I don’t think I like you that way.” I shrugged him off and stopped once we got to the house. I got out the car and helped James out the car.

He leaned on me while I helped him get in the house and up the steps. We were walking to the bed when James said, “I heard you Ever. I heard you say I’m hot too. Do you think I’m bangable too? Anyway that doesn't even matter. We're going to have to love each other sooner or later.” James smiled and fell on the bed.

“James, I don’t think I should answer that right now. I’m sorry.” I looked at him. He looked like a little kid.

I smiled at him and helped him with his shoes. I went in his drawer and got him some pajamas. I went in my drawer and grabbed myself some pajamas also.

I told James to put on his night clothes. I put on mine in the bathroom while James did his. When I was done I came out while James was putting on his shirt. I slightly blushed and looked away. I sat on the couch.

I heard James let out a sob. I looked at him. He was really crying. There was no fake tears. His face was blotchy, red, puffy, and had a frown. You know how some people cried ugly and some people are pretty criers? He was one of the ugly ones. I felt sorry for him. I walked over to the bed and sat down next to James’ chest.

I patted his back, “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I’m not ready. I can't handle it. Please, Ever help me. I don’t know what to do.” He let out a few more sobs. I knew what he was talking about. He wasn’t ready for being King. He wasn’t ready to leave his life and give up a normal teenage one. He couldn’t handle the pressure. I couldn’t help him. Hell, I couldn’t even help my self.

“I know what you mean, James. I feel the same way. But I can't help you. I can't even help myself. The only person who can save you is yourself.” I pointed to him.

James let out another sob, “I’m scared, Ever.”

“So am I…” And that night was the first night James and I connected. I slept in the same bed with him. He could help me, and I could help him. This marriage could work.

*~*~*~*~*

I woke up to James, shirtless, and walking back and forth across the room. He was yelling into the phone. I sat up and watched him walk back and forth and speak in a loud, angry tone.

He looked my way and slightly smiled. I smiled back when he started to say, “I’m sorry Madi, but I don’t it's going to work. I know you know the same thing also. The idea of you being my mistress is odd. Hell, I don’t even want to get married. See you tomorrow Madiline. Bye.” He sat on the couch and sighed.

I got out the bed and walked over to James. “Sorry to hear about you and Madiline.” I said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

He looked up from his hands, “Look Ever, what happened last night was because I was drunk. No we're not friends and I still don’t want to marry you. I just want to let you know, nothing happened.” He put disgust in the words ‘nothing happened’.

I looked at him with disbelief, “What? Last night you said when your drunk you reveal the truth. It sure as hell seemed like we were starting to be friends. I don’t want to marry you either, but I at lease thought we were going to be friends.”

“No!” He stood up and looked at me, “We’re certainly nothing close to friends. Like you said, I’m supposed to hate you and your supposed to hate me. Its just the way it works.” He said and walked out the room.

My mouth hung open, I quickly closed it and followed James into his dad’s study.

I stomped in, folded my arms, and stared at James. “You know what James, you’re a cocky, coincided ass whole. Being a dick won't get you anywhere. When your king everyone’s going to hate you, just like they do now! Why do you think you don’t have any friends, James? Do you know why you’re an ass whole? You're afraid to get your heart broken so you break hearts.” I stopped my ranting, still not quite done.

“You know what, Ever?” My eyebrows raised as I waited for an answer. James stood up and looked down at me, “You're absolutely right.”