Wake Up

A Deep Breath

Adrienne’s P.O.V

Me- “ He squeezed my hand.”

Dr- “ Alright lets get started then.”

The doctor went over to wash up for a second time and I just had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that I was doing the wrong thing.

Me- “ Billie are you sure, I mean are you really sure you can breath on your own? I don’t want to loose you, I couldn't live on this earth without you.”

Billie lifted his hand a little and I took it. He then gave me thumbs up, as much as I wanted to forget this whole thing and let him be I needed to trust in Billie’s judgment.

Me- “ Ok, lets do it.”

Dr- “ Ok lets get started then. His oxygen level has improved, and his heart rate is normal so I think he has got a great chance.”

Dr. Chris grabbed the tube lightly and then went to go turn the machine off, I stopped him.

Me- “ Dr. Chris I’m sorry what if this doesn't work?” Dr. Chris took a deep breath.

Dr- “ Mrs. Armstrong if this doesn't work then we will have to do an emergency tracheotomy. That means we will have to put a hole in his neck and put a tube in that way. Lets hope we wont have to do that because I know he is a singer, and if I have to do that he wont be able to sing anymore.”

I looked back down at Billie who again squeezed my hand hard.

Dr- “ Mrs. Armstrong, I can’t tell you not to worry, but I can assure you his vital signs look normal so he has a great chance of breathing on his own. I will only continue if you are comfortable with it, are you?”

I once again thought about it, but once again Billie squeezed my hand, I knew what I had to do.

Me- “ Yes, lets continue.”

Dr- “ Alright, now Billie don’t be startled when this machine goes off. You are going to feel a tube in your throat, but don’t panic you can still breath just take calm breaths. Squeeze your wife’s hand if you understand.”

Billie squeezed my hand again and gave the Dr thumbs up.

Dr- “ Here we go.”

With that Dr. Chris turned off Billie’s breathing machine. My hear dropped, I closed my eyes I couldn't bare to look.

Dr- “ He’s fine he is breathing on his own. Mrs. Armstrong look, look he opened his eyes!”

I opened my eyes to see Billie’s big beautiful green eyes staring back at me.