Sequel: Forever & Always.
Status: Completed. :) Thank you guys for getting this story to 9 Stars... I love you all <3

Let Me Be The One To Save You

But Does The Hero Get The Girl?

Gerard’s party was crazy. Donna Way, his mother, had gotten Frank to invite, what looked like, our entire year group. There was alcohol and a lot of under-age drinking. It didn’t seem like Gerard’s kind of party. And, sure enough, when I found him he was in his basement bedroom. He lay curled up on his bed - unwrapped presents strewn all around him - and was avidly watching his TV. screen, where Disney’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame was playing.

“I love that movie.”

Gerard jumped before turning to face me, “Jesus Ciara! You scared the shit outta me.”

I smiled, “Sorry.”

He sat up and patted the space beside him, indicating for me to sit down, and then returned his attention to the screen. He looked so innocent, like a five year old child, definitely not the eighteen year old young man he really was. I sat beside him and watched the ending of the movie. At the scene where Quasimodo places Esmeralda’s hand into Phoebus’ one I heard a shaky breath from beside me. Gerard was staring intently at the sad scene biting his lip and looking very forlorn.

“You okay Gee?”

He turned to face me, his hazel eyes glistening with tears but a small smile playing on his thin lips, “This movie always makes me cry. I’m such a pansy.”

I returned his small smile and giggled a little, “You’re not a pansy Gee. This story always makes me sad too. I always wanted Quasimodo to get the girl.”

“That’s why it’s my favourite, it’s more realistic,” He pulled his eyes away from mine to face the screen and he pointed at the scene unfolding upon it. “The hero never really gets the girl because she’ll always want the handsome guy more. It’s stupid, but true.”

I shook my head, “That’s not true. I’d pick the hero. I’d rather be with someone who truly loves me than a guy who I find attractive but doesn’t love me at all.”

Gerard aimed a soft smile at me, “But you’re not like most girls Ciara,” He pushed a strand of hair out of my face and pecked my cheek. “You’re one in a million.”

I hugged him. He was just being so sweet and adorable that he deserved one. When I pulled away we sat awkwardly beside one another, neither of us saying anything to break the silence that had descended upon us. Then I remembered why I had sought Gerard out in the first place.

“Hey, why are you spending your eighteenth birthday in your room watching Disney movies? Shouldn’t you be upstairs partying?”

He shrugged and twisted his slender, artist’s hands in his lap. He was uncomfortable, that much was obvious, “I guess,” He shrugged again and cleared his throat. “I guess it’s just not my cup of coffee. I don’t like crowds of people that I don’t really know. They make me uncomfortable.”

I nodded, understanding him completely. Large crowds made me shy and more awkward than usual. I hated them!

“Oh Gee!” I suddenly exclaimed, remembering something. “I have a present for you!” I rooted through the bag I had slung over my shoulder until I found what I was looking for. A card and a small rolled up canvas. “Here. Happy birthday Gerard.”

He smiled delightedly and opened the handmade card, “Thank you C.”

“You’re welcome; I decided to get you a proper present. The stuff Frankie and I got you weren’t exactly appropriate for your eighteenth.”

A chuckled escaped his upturned lips, “I liked them. Especially the tiara.”

I giggled, “You missed all the fun though. Frankie had everyone upstairs wearing one, even your dad.”

He shook his head still grinning and began to unroll the canvas I had given him. His mouth dropped as he took in the painting I had made especially for him.

“It’s amazing,” He stared at it in awe, lightly stroking the painted image of himself.

The painting of me and him and the coffee shop was one I had only recently finished. It had taken me weeks but was still nothing when compared to one of Gerard’s pieces of art. He was far more talented than I could ever dream of being.

“It’s not that great. You’re way better,” I swept my hand across the room, over the painting and drawings that adorned every empty space on his walls. They were all so magnificent.

He shook his head, “No… this is way better than anything I could do.” He smiled looking nostalgic. “We look so peaceful. Can you believe that we only met in September?”

I shook my head. It felt like I had known Gee forever. He had taken to place of my old best friend, helping me put the broken pieces of myself back together.

“I don’t know what I would’ve done if we hadn’t met.”

He stroked my hair, his touch soft and apprehensive. Since he’d found me that night, Gerard would sometimes become incredibly careful when touched me, afraid that I’d freak out.

“You would’ve been fine Sugar,” He whispered in my ear. “You’re strong. You would’ve found a way to be happy.”

As always, his words comforted me and I hugged him tightly, “Thank you Gee. You always know exactly what to say.”

We sat, just embracing each other, until the unmistakeable sounds of Green Day’s Basket Case could be heard playing upstairs.

“I love this song!” Gerard exclaimed and jumped excitedly to his feet. Music and art, the only two things Gerard Way ever seemed to get truly excited about. “Dance with me Ciara!”

I laughed at his childlike pout, “You can’t dance to this.”

“It’s my birthday so I can do whatever the fuck I want,” He hauled me to my feet and into his arms.

We moved awkwardly around the room, Gerard stepping my toes every few steps. The pain shooting through my feet had become almost unbearable, but I said nothing. Gerard had the biggest, cheesiest smile plastered across his lips and I didn’t want to ruin it. It was the first time I’d ever seen him so happy.
I looked up at the raven-haired teen and, in the slight dark basement; he looked like a comic book hero. The mysterious badass who saves the world by night. But then again, he didn’t just look like a hero - he was a hero. My hero.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 1087.
Title Credit: Kill Hannah <3

Uhm... I think this may be the last update for a while. I'm back at school on Tuesday and so I'll be swamped with work. Sorry :/
But hope you enjoyed this chapter. Let me know what you all think.

<3