Status: One Shot - complete

You Just Gotta Ignite the Light

Chapter 1 of 1

A small tear slipped down Theresa's cheek as she watched the fireworks illuminate the sky above her family home. In a tradition that had dated back longer than she’d been alive, she was curled up under a blanket with her mother as her father and older brother tended to setting off the fireworks. The smell of fresh bread, soup and baked potatoes wafted around the backyard, a small campfire giving them heat as they celebrated her mom’s birthday.

Feeling another tear slip from her eye as a rocket exploded high above them, she lifted her hand to wipe it away catching her mother’s eye in the process.

“I hope you’re not crying.” She warned quietly, her tone teasing.

“No.” she whispered in reply, a small smile tugging at her lips as her mother’s arm slid around her shoulder, pulling her closer and kissing her temple.

Theresa nodded as she wiped away another tear. “Hey, what’s all this about Reece?” her mother asked quietly, not to gain the attention of the two males.

“I just can’t believe that this is going to be the last time I get to do this with you guys.” She sniffled quietly.

Her mom chuckled lightly, squeezing her gently, “Not forever.” She said quietly. “You’ll be back. Or at least you better be.” She warned with all seriousness.

“Of course I’ll come back.” She said with a smile. “But I’m going to miss you guys so much.”

“And we’re going to miss you too sweetheart. But like I said, it’s not forever, and we’ll talk on the phone, and visit too.” she told her.

“I know.” she murmured.

“Reece, this is something you have to do and you’ve worked really hard to get that place in university, it’s what you’ve wanted to do since you were a little kid.” She said sternly, her tone laced with love.

She nodded, smiling as she wiped another rouge tear from her eyes. “I know.”

“And you’re going to make us so proud.” Her dad chimed in with a wide smile. “Now, this food isn’t going to eat itself.”


~*~

Returning home from an early morning lecture, Brian Haner Jr grabbed the bundle of mail from the mailbox before making his way up to his student apartment. A smile graced his thin lips as he entered his home, spotting one of his room mates curled up on the sofa watching the TV.

“Morning.” He called over cheerfully. She turned her head, smiling as she waved over at him as he looked through the pile of envelopes in his hand.

“How was the lecture?” she asked with a yawn.

“The usual.” He replied simply as he walked over to join her on the sofa. “Here, for some reason there’s quite a few for you this morning.” He said handing her a handful of handwritten envelopes a knowing smirk creeping onto his lips.

She returned the smile, recognising his handwriting on the envelope on top of the pile. “Happy Birthday Theresa.” He said, leaning over to kiss her cheek.

“You’re such a goofball Brian.” she teased as she opened up his birthday card.

“I got you a present too, it’s not much, but it’s what I could afford.” He said as he got off the sofa and headed into his room while she opened some more cards.

“Oh, Brian, there was no need, really.” She called after him as she opened a card from her mom and dad.

“Yes there is. You’re my best friend Reece, I wouldn’t have survived the first semester here if it wasn’t for you.” he said as he walked back into the room, his face falling as he saw tears slipping silently down her cheeks. He was immediately back by her side asking her what was wrong.

“I just miss home so much, especially on days like today.” She said hastily wiping away her tears as Brian’s arms wrapped around her body.

“I know sweets, I can’t imagine what it must be like for you to be so far away from your family.” He said quietly. He held her in a comforting embrace for a long moment before she pulled away.

“It’s just that this will be my first birthday apart from them, my first birthday without fireworks in the back yard.” She told him with a saddened smile.

“I know it’s not much of a consolation, but you and me can hang out together all day if you want.” He said, his thin lips curving up into a smile.

“I do have a couple of lectures in a little while, but that sounds like a really good plan.” She replied with a smile. “Now, didn’t you say something about having a present for me?”

Brian smiled back at her and placed a small gift wrapped box into her lap. Reece took it in her hands, pulling gently at the purple ribbon that encircled the black gift-wrap. With the paper removed, she opened the box, her jaw falling loose as she stared down at the watch.
“Brian, it’s…lovely, thank you.” she stuttered.

“You’re welcome, I know you need a new one.” He replied as she leaned across to kiss his cheek.

“Thank you, I love it.” she said taking it out of the box and placing it on her left wrist. “And what you said just now about not surviving the first semester without me, the feeling’s mutual. I would have been back home before the end of the first month if it wasn’t for you.” she told him, smiling as she embraced him again.

She sighed as she pulled away, glancing down at her new watch. “Is this the correct time?”

“Yeah, I made sure it was set right before I wrapped it.” he replied. “Why?”

“I better go get ready for my lectures.” She sighed getting up off the sofa.

*~*

With a large smile on her face, Theresa let herself back into her apartment after her lectures. It hadn’t been the best way to spend most of her birthday but the thought of spending the rest of the day with Brian made her happy.

They had first met on their first day at university after they had found themselves sat next to each other in one of their classes. Brian had decided to sit next to her when he had noticed that she had been wearing the same Pantera t-shirt as he was. Having the same taste in music had been what had started off what had become an unbreakable friendship and after the first semester they had decided to move into the same apartment together, along with two other people they had met.

He had been her rock throughout her first year at university and she highly doubted that she would have survived without his constant support. She had missed her family more than she had ever thought possible and had suffered from terrible homesickness but Brian had a special talent of making her feel better, knowing exactly what to say or do to put a smile on her face again. She truly would have been lost without him.

As she placed her purse on the kitchen counter, she spotted a note that was propped up against one of the mugs. On closer inspection she saw her name scribbled in Brian’s handwriting, so she picked it up and opened it out.

“Go to the roof.” She said out loud as she read Brian’s words. Feeling confused she turned and made her way back out of the apartment.

Living on the second floor from the top of the building, it didn’t take her too long to reach the door that led out onto the roof of the apartment building. She and Brian went there often, it having a beautiful view over the city of Los Angeles, especially in the evening, when the sin began to set and the city lights illuminated the vast sky.

She pushed open the door and stepped out onto the roof, spotting immediately the blanket stretched out on the floor with a few cushions on it, a picnic basket next to it. She walked over to the blanket, smiling as she noticed Brian stood a little distance away.

“Happy Birthday.” he said cheerfully. “Take a seat.”

“What are you up to Haner?” she asked as she settled herself on the blanket.

“Well, I know it’s not going to be the same, and that you usually do this with your family, but I hope that this kinda makes up for you being here in California instead of Ontario.” He said stepping forward, allowing Theresa to see what he had been stood in front of.

“Brian? Are those…?” she asked.

“Roman Candles? Yeah, I could only afford to buy two, but I wanted you to have fireworks on your birthday like you do at home.” he told her, noticing the smile on her face.

She stood up and ran over to him, flinging her arms around his shoulders “You are amazing, you know that right?”

“Well, I do try. And you’re worth it.” he replied. “Now, go back and sit down so I can light these things.”

She kissed his cheek before doing as she was told, Brian joining her once the fireworks were lit. She wore a large smile as they both sat in silence, watching the fireworks explode, lighting up the roof as the sun set beyond the horizon behind them.

Once they had died out, Theresa turned and hugged Brian once again, “Thank you Brian, that was beautiful.” She told him.

“I’m glad you liked it, now, no birthday would be complete without cake right?” he said, turning to the picnic hamper and pulling out a small chocolate cake, a lone candle stood in the middle. Theresa shook her head, her smile still firmly in place as her pulled out his lighter and lit the candle.

“Make a wish.” He told her, holding the cake out in front of her. She nodded and closed her eyes as she leaned forward to blow out the flame, jerking back as she felt something cold make contact with her nose. Opening her eyes quickly she noticed the large blob of chocolate icing smeared over the tip of her nose, and a wicked smile on Brian’s lips as he licked his long index finger.

She narrowed her eyes, scowling at him as she wiped the end of her nose, leaning over quickly to smear the chocolate over Brian’s chiselled cheek. “Just be glad I didn’t push that cake into your face Haner.” She told him.

“I would have made you lick it off.” he told her as he set the cake down to clean his face with a napkin.

“Tempting.” She teased as she removed the remainder of the icing from her nose with a napkin he had passed her.

“Maybe I should smear it somewhere else then.” He said suggestively wiggling his eyebrows.

“Brian!” she yelled, playfully pushing him. “Just cut me a slice.”

He did as he was told and cut them both a slice of cake before getting two beers out of the hamper for them.

Noticing a shiver pass through her body, Brian reached into the hamper and produced another blanket and passed it to her. She unfolded it and wrapped it around the two of them, snuggling closer to Brian.

“Thank you for today Brian, it means so much to me, like you wouldn’t believe.” she murmured as she rested her head on his chest, his arm sliding around her body.

“You’re welcome, and you’re worth it.” he told her smiling as he kissed the top of her head.

She lifted her head, smiling as she reached up to softly press her lips to his cheek, their eyes meeting, holding each others’ gaze for a long moment, before Brian lowered his lips to hers in a soft, sweet kiss. When she didn’t pull away, he pressed his lips a little more firmly against hers. Again she didn’t pull away, instead she reached her hand up to the back of his neck, ushering him closer to her, her lips moving in unison with his.

Suddenly she found herself being lowered onto the blanket, Brian joining her, hovering above her, their lips never parting as their hands began to roam over each other’s bodies, their tongues toying teasingly together.

In a movement that suddenly felt very natural, Theresa found her hands slipping down his body, finding his belt. As she pulled it out of the loops, she felt Brian’s hand slip under her top.

Their lips barely left each other’s bodies as they stripped each other of their clothes.

Theresa’s breath came in short quick gasps as Brian’s lips trailed slowly down her exposed torso, her fingers slipping through his dark hair as his tongue circled around her belly button. She felt goose bumps erupt over her body as his fingers wound in the material of her panties. Her hips lifted of the ground as he slowly slipped them down her slender legs, their eyes locked together, reciprocated smiles on their lips.

Still keeping his brown eyes on Theresa’s, Brian lowered his head to hers, his lips gently grazing hers before whispering in her ear, “You’re so fucking beautiful.”

His lips were then quickly back on her stomach as he slowly parted her legs, his calloused fingers skimming gently over her thighs, up to her folds.

“Oh God!” she gasped almost inaudibly as his fingertips brushed over her opening, his breath hot against her as she felt his tongue flick lightly against her clit. Theresa gasped loudly with every agonisingly slow lick, her eyes rolling as he slipped two of his long fingers into her wet opening, her hips rocking faster against his face and hand.

Warm wetness flowed freely from her as she tightened around his fingers, calling out his name in a moan. She shuddered as his tongue slowly trailed back up her body, slipping into her mouth as he pushed his hard cock into her wet pussy.

His hands found hers, their fingers entwining together as he lifted their hands above her head, keeping eye contact as he thrust slowly into her.

“Oh God, Brian.” she began to chant as she felt the pressure build up within her, Brian’s lips leaving soft kisses over her neck and chest.

“Fuck!” she moaned loudly as she constricted around him, a growl emitting deep in Brian’s throat as she felt him pulsate within her. They both let out short shallow breaths as they tried to regain composure, Brian smiling as he leaned down to press his lips to hers.

“Brian, I –“ she began quietly as he raised a long finger to her lips to quieten her before pushing a stray strand of light brown hair off her face.

“I love you Reece.” He whispered, Theresa gazing up at him in shock.

“You, you love me?” she questioned quietly. He nodded silently watching with a sense of fear that she may reject his feelings.

“I love you too.” she replied, quietly cupping his face and leaning up to kiss his lips. He smiled into the kiss, pulling away slowly as he finally pulled out of her, collapsing next to her and pulling the blanket around them to keep them warm.

“You wouldn’t believe how happy you saying that makes me.” he told her, lacing his fingers once again with hers.

“I had no idea that you felt that way.” She told him with a smile.

“I realised it when you went home for Christmas break. I missed you so much and hated being so far away from you and not seeing you every day. But I didn’t think you felt the same way about me and I didn’t want to loose my friendship with you. I’d rather have you in my life as only a friend than not at all.” He explained, bringing an even bigger smile to her face.

She turned her head to kiss him again, her arms slipping around his naked torso and resting her head on his chest, shivering as a light breeze blew over the rooftop. “You cold babe?”

“A little, but yanno, I am naked on a roof top.” She giggled.

“Come on,” Brian said, helping her to stand up, grabbing the blanket they were led on to cover his body as she wrapped the other around her. “Let’s head back inside.”

“My room or yours?” Theresa teased as he grabbed the picnic hamper before taking hold of her hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
There you go Hun, I hope you like it! :)

Theresa

Oh and Title Credit goes to Katy Perry - Firework :)

Comments?