I Wish Forever Would Hurry up and End

The Same as it's Always Been

After my "break-up" (if you can even call a few hours apart a break-up) with Jarvis, I felt completely empty. No one would text me in the mornings, "good morning beautiful. how'd u sleep?" No one would be waiting at my locker before first period, and no one would be waiting to walk me home at the end of the day.

That's why I needed Jarvis back.

I thought what I was feeling was true love... I suppose it wasn't. I guess it was just loneliness, a longing for someone to love me, to call me beautiful... even if it meant a couple of broken bones along the way. But I could put up with that. It was worth it.

That's why I called Jarvis two hours after our break-up.

That's why I sobbed, begging, pleading with him to take me back.

That's why he promised to take me back, but only after I got a little punishment for what happened.

That's why I fell asleep that night with red eyes and tear-stained cheeks.

When I was discharged from the hospital, my parents were waiting to take me home. Jarvis wasn't there, but he promised me... or, threatened me that he would see me as soon as I got home. Once I got home, I was sent upstairs to lie down, and my parents told me that they had to go have a meeting with the school. After being out for a week, usually the school required a parent meeting so that they could discuss how to get the child up to speed again.

When I heard the front door lock behind them, my pulse immediately picked up, and I knew I needed to get out of there. But there was no time. I looked out the window to see Jarvis cruising along the street in his dad's old pick-up. I saw him get out of the car, double-check that my parents weren't home, then let himself in with the key he made me give him.

I heard his heavy footsteps climbing the stairs until they reached my bedroom. I quickly turned over, not a good idea because of my bandaged side, and pretended to be asleep. When he came in he noticed and sat down next to me quietly. He hummed softly and stroked my cheek before whispering, "Oh Raven, you're so beautiful when you are sleeping. It makes me not want to hurt you."

I squeezed my eyes shut tighter and wished he would stop. I had heard him say it so many times before the pain came. Finally I felt him nudging me, making me "wake up". I woke up slowly, wanting to savor my last few minutes before his anger washed over me, turning me black and blue.

"I'm so glad you're awake, babe. But you know that we have to fix what you've done, to make sure it never happens again.

I closed my eyes again, then screamed as blow after blow was delivered to my already broken body.