Collision Kisses

Seven

Frank’s P.O.V.

Two weeks have gone by, and Gerard goes straight home from work to keep an eye on Mum before Amy leaves for her job. The rota we’ve got going is working out extremely well. It’s the best situation in the circumstances, me and Gerard spend the evenings together. The worst thing is Mum is usually asleep, she’s deteriorating fast, she has no appetite and she’s extremely weak. The doctors don’t think she’s got long left. I think even she has given up hope.

We should all be prepared for when it happens. We know that it’s not going to be long until she dies, and at least she won’t be in pain anymore. I know all of this. It still feels like my heart is shattering when I think about the moment she goes. I feel a kiss on my cheek, as Gee brings me back from my place of thought.

“Babe, we’ve got no coffee left can you go get some from the store? I’d go but I’m already in my pj’s.” I smile and look him up and down in his cute pyjamas. Most of his clothes are at mine now. He always sleeps there he doesn’t go home much. I’m grateful, I know he stays to give me support.
“Yeah, of course I’ll go. Keep an eye on Mum though, she’s in a lot of pain tonight.” I know he would anyway but I am extra precautious.
“Of course I will baby.” He kisses me softly and I leave for the store.

Gerard’s P.O.V.

I watch him walk down the street from Linda’s room. She looks over at me before smiling and commenting
“You’ve got it for him big time haven’t you son?” I can’t help but smile.
“Yeah, I do. I really do, I don’t wanna mess this up you know? He’s really special. Really Special.” I’m serious and she knows it. She smiles.
“You were a match made in heaven.” I’ll treasure that comment forever.

We carry on talking for about 5 minutes before see suddenly gasps.
“It hurts Gee, real bad. Make it stop! Please! Just make it stop!!” She’s almost screaming and there isn’t anything I can do to help her. I walk over to her and take her hand.
“Squeeze it as hard as you like honey, I’m here. I’ll stay here until Frankie gets back. We’ll make it go away Linda I promise.” I say reassuring myself more than her.

She grips my hand extremely tight for a few moments before suddenly her hold loosens. My head snaps up.
“Linda?! Linda talk to me! LINDA!” I plead trying to get her to respond.
“Gee, there’s a letter in the top drawer. Read it with Frankie.” She pauses straining against the pain she’s experiencing.
“There’s one for Amy too,” she pausing again trying to catch her breath “Promise me you’ll look after them.” I know she’s dying as well as she does and a single tear escapes my eye.
“I promise.” I whisper, the lump in my throat become larger by the millisecond.
“You’re the best man for the job.”

She squeezes my hand one last time before she becomes completely motionless. I stand over her for a minute, coming to terms with what just happened before whispering.
“You’re the best woman I’ve ever met Linda. May you rest in peace.”

My first thought then is of Frankie. He’ll be back any minute now; I walk back over to the window I was just at, talking to the breathing Linda. I see him walking down the street; he’ll be here soon. There is a weight in my heart, I feel so sorry for him. I’ve become attached to Linda in the last two weeks. Her death has hit me more than I expected. God only knows what it is going to do to Frank.

I hear the door click and I take a deep breath to prepare myself to break the devastating news. I now know, that nothing would have prepared me for what was about to happen.

Franks P.O.V.

I walk through the door and immediately know that something isn’t right. Gee comes over to me and looks at me with tears in his eyes. No! What’s happened. Something’s happened. Please no. I wasn’t even here.

“Babe, I’m really sorry. She’s gone.” He says, I don’t know if he was whispering or I just couldn’t hear. I didn’t want to hear. I didn’t want to listen. No. She’s not gone. Mum, please you can’t have.

I walk over to her room and look at her lifeless body. I can’t take this in. I walk over to her and stroke her hair. She’s gone, isn’t she. She’s really gone. I turn around to Gerard.
“She’s gone.” I mouth, my voice not even loud enough to be a whisper. Gee just nods. Something clicks, that nod how can he just nod?!

“This is all your fucking fault! I shouldn’t have left you here with her. I should have been here when she died! You didn’t know how to save her! Why did I let you look after her?! Why?” I scream. He looks shocked and hurt and I’m glad. So he should it’s his fault my mother is dead, his fault.
“Frankie, I know you’re sad but..” he starts, his voice weak. I cut him off.
“No! This is your fault. I hate you. GET OUT!” I scream. There is no remorse in my voice, I can’t believe I was stupid enough to let him look after her.

I watch as he leaves the house still in his pj’s but he has a hoodie over the top with his head down, tears pouring from his eyes. I feel a pang of guilt but then look back at my mother’s lifeless body, and I feel that I have done the right thing. I sit there, all night just crying. Crying so much that my eyes stung and my lungs hurt. I cried until I fell asleep.