Status: Completed

Lessons Learned

Parker

Vias bustles about the room like a worried mother on her son's first day of school. Rolling my eyes as he asks once again if I'm really ready to go back, I check my reflection in the mirror one last time. A new pair of jeans, a blue, green, and white plaid shirt- all curtesy of Vias's pity concern- adorn my repairing body. Aside from a few yellowing bruises and my still-not-up-to-standard muscle control, it's as if that night never happened.

"Are you sure you want to go today?"

Groaning good-naturedly I trail my hand over his shoulder as I walk by to get my backpack- who knows when Vias stopped by my house and got my stuff- and repeat myself for the sixth time.

"I'm fine Vias. Honest I am. And as crazy as it may sound I really don't want to miss anymore school. So please, stop worrying about me."

I know he can't help himself, but who'd have ever thought the student teacher all the girls couldn't stop talking about and all the guys envied would turn out to have such a mothering complex. Smiling when I hear the honk of my friend Mark's car honk out front I quickly grab my stuff and dash for the front door.

"See you at school!"

Vias calls out another protest but I act as if I don't hear him.

Shutting the door behind me once I get in the car I wave smugly at Vias, who's standing in the doorway looking a little pissed but happy to see that I'm so energetic today- though what he sees and what is are two different things.

Mark and Johnson at talking about last night's game and Frances asks me about living with Mr. Littela. Answering his questions with vague responses I wonder just what I should do to get Vias to let the incident go. As it is I'm doing all I can to put it behind me, yet he doesn't seem to get the hint. He keeps pressuring me to tell him who hurt me, that he'll keep me safe and that he won't let them hurt me ever again.

Looking out the window as Frances joins the conversation of which baseball team has the highest chance of winning this year, I know that Vias means the things he says. More than I'd expected considering he barely knows me except that I'm flirt, a good student who doesn't have to try, and have home issues that need to be fixed.

But already he knows too much.

In a couple weeks I'll be done with school. I'll be done with this town and long, long so far gone. Vias was never part of my plan. In fact he's screwed it up in more ways than one. But as long as I haven't fallen for him yet things can still go on as planned.

Lance and my mom could be back any day, any time without a warning. I don't know what I'll do when that happens, but I know I've got to stop Vias from getting involved. The more involved he gets with me will only hurt him more.

Licking my lips I know I shouldn't be leading him on. That I'm being selfish, keeping him around just because I love the way he makes me feel, both physically and mentally. But I can't let him go just yet.

No not just yet.

I need to lean on him a little longer. Just a little, tiny, tad bit longer… that's all…
♠ ♠ ♠
609 words :)

71 subs :D