Status: Attackative

Jagged Edges

Treason

Before I really have a chance to turn off my car, a very furious Gian appears outside my window. He flings open the door for me as I take the key out of the ignition. I look up with wide eyes.

"Treason, we need to talk." And that's when I know he's serious. He used my full name for the first time in weeks. 

With a sigh, I grab my bag and climb out of the car. I can't avoid him anymore and now he's mad at me. "Gigi, I'm sorry I've been-"

"Avoiding me?" He asks. "Sunny, what did I do? Why are you mad at me?"

"I . . . I'm not mad at you. You didn't do anything. It's just that I . . . Look, I don't know." I sigh, running a hand trough my hair.

"You don't know? Treason, I've been worried about you all week." He exclaims.

"You have?"

"Yes! You've been ignoring me! What was I supposed to think

"That's not what I wanted, Gian. I was just being a jerk and a coward and I'm sorry."

"What's going on, Sunny? Things have been weird lately."

"It's nothing. A few things have been on my mind lately but I'm over it." I lie. I am, by no means, over it but things can get back to normal. I hope.

He scans my face for a second before giving me a sad smile. "Do you wanna hang out after school or something?"

"Yeah, that sounds great."

Gian beams and hooks his arm through mine at a bit of an awkward angle considering the height difference, but neither of us mind. 

School passes in a blur of 'welcome back' and before long Gian is in the passenger seat of my car, flipping through the radio stations happily. It feels good to be around him again. I definitely can't deny that I missed him.

He tells me that his dads dad, Papí, is still visiting and that his mom will probably expect me to stay for dinner. Then, with a grin suspiciously resembling one of mischief, Gian informs me that he told his mom about how amazing he thinks my voice is, and that I might as well just save myself the trip and bring my guitar in with me because he knows I have it.

I don't have a problem with this which concerns me because when have I ever been okay with singing in front of new people? I try not to dwell on the thought as I follow him inside and into the kitchen where L'von and Gian's mom sit with a man I don't know.

L'von grins and nods. "Hey Treason."

"Hey man. Hello Mrs. Vercillian."

"Hi Treason, I'm glad you're here." She smiles, giving Gian a look I can't quite decipher. "This is Mr. Vercillian's father, we call him Papí."

"It's nice to meet you sir." I smile, reaching out to shake his hand.

"You're a nice boy." He announces. "Why doesn't Gian go out with you?"

Mrs. Vercillian grimaces and places a hand on his arm. "Papí, Gian has a boyfriend. You met him yesterday, remember?"

He scrunches his nose and spits out a string of French words that I don't understand, ending with, "I do not like that boy."

Gian rolls his eyes and leads me into the living room instead. "Sorry about him."

"It's okay. Why . . . Uh. Why doesn't he like Seth?" I ask, against my better judgement.

"I don't know. He calls it a hunch. I don't know what that means." He shrugs. "I don't wanna talk about Seth. How was your Thanksgiving?"

"Oh. Uh. It was fine. My mom and I went to my dads house to spend it with him and my brother." 

"You have a brother?" He asks, eyes wide.

"I . . . Yeah. It's sort of a sore subject. I'm sorry I didn't mention him earlier."

"No, it's fine. What happened? I mean, I heard the rumors but clearly they aren't true."

"He . . . His name is Amren. He tried to kill himself almost five years ago."

"Oh my god. Sunny, I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"Hey, it's fine. You didn't know."

"I shouldn't have asked." 

"I obviously don't mind telling you. Really, it's fine." I smile. Gian scoots closer to me on the couch and rests his head on my shoulder. 

"What happened?" He asks softly.

I tell him the while story from the morning of the incident to my decision to live with my mom after the divorce. Gian listens closely and hugs me tighter after each revelation. Having him so close soothes my nerves and I feel tons better about life itself.

"I've never told anybody that." I admit.

"Well, I'm glad you told me." He murmurs, looking up at me with a small smile.

"Yeah, me too."

We stay like that for a few minutes until we hear footsteps. Gian quickly let's go of me and scoots away as Papí comes in carrying a chess board.

"Cmon, Gian. I want to win my title back." He announces.

"Papí please, we have company."

"Oh, how rude of me. Treason, would you like to get your ass whopped?"

"Papí!" Gian exclaims.

"No, it's okay. I'd love to play you." I laugh.

We set up and he allows me to take the first move. Half an hour later, Mr. Vercillian has come home and is watching over the game with elated interest. Soon we're joined by his wife and L'von as well. I really don't know if I've ever felt this much pressure. We're down to my three pawns, two rooks,  knight and king, against his one pawn, two rooks, queen and king.

He takes out my knight and then a pawn but I take out his rook and queen. The next thing I know I'm in a position to put him in a check mate with a pawn and he's screaming French curse words. Mr. Vercillian congratulates me and all Gian can do is stare at the board in disbelief.

"It took me sixteen years to beat the many and you got him first try." He groans. "And with a pawn!"

Mrs. Vercillian just laughs and ushers us all to the dining room. There's two prayers, one in English followed by one in French. Mrs. Vercillian explains the dish as leftover turkey day casserole. It's a mix of mashed potatoes, turkey, green beans, stuffing and more. It's my new favorite food.

Once everyone is finished, L'von and Mr. Vercillian are ordered to clean up while Mrs. Vercillian ushers me and Gian into the den, Papí following.

"I've been really patient." Mrs, Vercillian grins. "But I'd really like to hear you play."

"I'd love to play for you." I smile, going to fetch my guitar and then sitting opposite them all. "Any requests?"

"None at all. Play what makes you happy." She insists. I think for a second before strumming the notes carefully.

30 days till Christmas and all I know
Is I'm not quite ready to let go of this past year
I have so much to show

One more month
And all I need 
Is a sign from you 
That you think of me
If you don't
Then please just say so
Cause all I do
Is think of you

And it's wearing me out
It's wearing me down
This holiday is nothing but frowns for me
But I've got a gift
You see
I'm making a list
Hell I'll check it twice
Of all the things you've done in my life
Then I'll send it your way
So you see why I love you

Who would have thought that someone like me
Could have fallen in love so easily.
I know that you know that i know what i want
I know I cant have it but give it a thought.
I know that it sounds crazy baby
but all I do is think of you.

And it's wearing me out
It's wearing me down
This holiday is nothing but frowns for me
But I've got a gift
You see
I'm making a list
Hell I'll check it twice
Of all the things you've done in my life
Then I'll send it your way
So you see why I love everything you throw my way

I know it's hard to say
But it's a crying shame that I came all this way
With so much to say
But all that came out was “Happy Holiday”
A home cooked meal and a nice warm bed
Somebody to love
A place to lay my head
But I got 30 days and I'm gonna make ‘em count
Cause I cant call it Christmas without
Someone to smile about


When the last notes fade, Papí launches into a speech about how I shouldn't let my talent go to waste while Mrs. Vercillian just thanks me and says that Gian was right about my voice. Gian is quiet and simply looks stunned yet pleased.

I can't help but feel that I overstepped my boundaries. I mean, that song meant something. I'm sure Gian realized it too. I can't just sing things like that when he has a boyfriend. It's not right. But no matter how hard I want to, I can't bring myself to feel bad about it. I just hope I haven't fucked up. Again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lots of things going on here. They're all significant so I hope you paid attention! This is the longest chapter so far so there's that. I have a weird plan for next chapter. You should pay close attention to that too. 

miss.sobriety [x2]
Lovecrush1
matthuee.
JessicStar
Emochick920
DeceptiveDani
Sarcastically Blunt
UnderTheThought
Tongue Tied Ideas.
Hot Chelle Rae


Thank you for the feedback! I hope your thanksgiving was awesome :) 

Let me know what you think?