Status: Attackative

Jagged Edges

Gian

The first person I came out to was Mickey Mouse. I was twelve. My family had gone on a vacation to Disney World because every time we move, my parents give us treats. Last time we got a trampoline. The time before that we got flat screen TV's in our rooms. This time they surprised us with our first trip to Disney.

We waited in line to see Mickey Mouse for almost forty-five minutes minutes. It gave me plenty of time to think of what to say to him and after careful consideration, I knew that there was nobody better to reveal my secret to.

When it was finally our turn I raced up and motioned for him to come closer. When I was faced with those big black eyes and wide welcoming smile, my confidence faltered a little. I quietly asked him if he would still love me if I liked boys.

It took a moment but he nodded and held me close for a photo. 

I still have it and it's my all time favorite. Sometimes it brings me to tears knowing that he accepted me, no questions asked. 

L'von was the next person I told. It was two years after I told Mickey. L'von was a little surprised but he figured that I was still his brother. I was gay before I told him and the only thing that was different was that I let him in on the secret. 

At that moment, me and L'von became closer than most other brothers, biological or not. 

I told dad next knowing he'd take it better than mom. He's extremely liberal and takes the words 'freedom and justice for all' very very seriously. It was one day after we had finished watching Duke win the coveted NCAA championship against North Carolina. Dad was ecstatic, jumping around and screaming about how he was going to make the sweetest love to their head coach. 

This may seem weird but trust me, it's not the weirdest thing he's ever said with such a favorable outcome. L'von and I weren't as big of basketball fans as dad was but we were still pretty happy. Mom had gone to the grocery store or something so she wasn't around to celebrate with us.

I figured that since he was in such a good mood then was as good a time as ever. Besides, I was tired of L'von bugging me to tell one of them. Not that I didn't appreciate the support or anything. It just gets old.

After he calmed down a considerable amount I asked I asked Mickey Mouse all those years ago; would he still love me if I like boys?

He gave me an odd look before laughing and ruffling my hair. He then told me that he already knew. Ever since I was three and got into my moms make-up and, somehow, applied eye shadow perfectly.

I was surprised, to say the least but that didn't matter. What mattered was that my dad, a hardcore military man, accepted me. If that was possible then I was hoping my mom would take this in stride as well. 

I was just so scared. She was a woman who was firm in her faith. She never pushed it on any of us because she believed that we should seek our own happiness. For that I was grateful, but it didn't make the task any less daunting.

That day was probably the hardest day of my life. We were knitting. (Yes, knitting.) It was a project for the church she was then attending. Knitting prayer shawls for people who were sick and in the hospital. I was helping because I love making people smile. 

She had asked me what was wrong, claiming that I hadn't been myself for several days. She was right; I was miserable. I didn't like hiding things from my mommy.

It was then that I told her I was gay. I apologized and broke down in tears. She sat shocked in silence for a few seconds before getting up and leaving the room quietly. 

Dad came in a few minutes later and hurriedly gathered me in a hug upon seeing my breakdown. He soothed me with comforting words and promises that she'd come around. That it was just a shock and that they both still loved me.

He was right. She did come around. It took a few days before she spoke to me but when she did she assured me that she still loved me to bits and pieces. She surprised me by also asking me to help her understand so that she wouldn't have any misconceptions. 

There's a reason I love my family so much and it's because they love me despite the fact that I'm a little gay white boy. They don't care and that means the world. 
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's a day late.
Hopefully you like it though.
I'll try to update again on Friday.

I have a big presentation tomorrow so wish me luck.

Shout out to WhatTheFunk!? And Lexington. (Close enough, bud. Close enough.)
Please Comment&Subscribe.