Picking up the Pieces

Chapter two

Bob came in as I howled softly and came to my side instantly, “oh my God, Gee, what the hell?”

I looked at him and opened my mouth to speak but Mikey spoke first. He tilted his head to one side and regarded Bob, “Gee-Gee is upset cos bad Frankie shouted at him and… and I am upset cos nobody will play!” he stamped his foot at the last bit and I couldn’t help but smile at such a cute gesture.

“Go and play with that car set over there so I can talk to… ah… Gee-Gee. I will be over straight after.”

“Promise?”

Bob nodded and Mikey scampered away. My hand felt cold where he had let it go so I pulled it into my sleeve and hunched over. Bob looked at Mikey and then back at me, “what happened?”

I shrugged, “pretty much the same thing that happened to me," my voice contained no emotion because I didn’t want to cry. I couldn’t lose it in front of Mikey even though I desperately wanted to hurl myself into Bob’s arms and weep. He would know how to make it all better, he always knew. I relied on him, he was my rock and I needed him. Right now I felt I should be clinging to him but instead I sighed and brought my hands to my face, “Mikey has regressed and it is my fault.”

“Is that what Frank said?”

“Yeah but it’s true. You see I told Mikey that I couldn’t look at him anymore and then he…,” my voice trailed away and I flapped a hand towards Mikey, “oh God, what have I done?”

“Why did you tell him that?” Bob asked as he pulled my hands from my face so his eyes could search mine, “is there something that you haven’t told me?”

I bit my lip, “well… It was nothing to him but everything to me. He kissed me by mistake and it brought all my feelings to the surface. Suddenly I couldn’t see him without needing him and so I avoided him. He asked me why and I decided to be honest with him but just look at the result,” I watched Mikey playing happily in silence, “what have I done?”

“Gee, you didn’t know this would happen,” Bob said as he enveloped me in a hug, “I should have realised something was up between you two because I noticed you avoiding him. I should take some of the blame for this one,” he turned my face towards him and away from my brother, “I thought you had got over this but it seems I was wrong. Why didn’t you tell me he kissed you Gee? Don’t you trust me?”

“Bob… oh no, God no!” I was quick to reassure him, “I didn’t think it’d be such a problem for me and I didn’t want to trouble you with my lust for another,” because I thought you would leave me if I told you! I added in my head.

“It might have helped you to share this my love,” he stroked my hair, “nothing you say would be trouble Gee so please don’t hesitate to come to me in the future.”

“I don’t deserve you.”

“Don’t talk stupid.” Bob said as he dropped a small kiss on my lips, “now you go to our room and stay there for now. Frank might come out if you are not here because right now I can understand his anger.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled as I got up and did what he told me. Bob would make this right again, I knew it.