Whatever You Say

PAY

Susanne and I walked to class together before The Queen stepped in the way, flipping her black, luscious ponytail, making the rest of us look like a piece of misery. She stared at Susanne for a mild moment. Susanne turned to me.

I was, of course, unsure of what to do. Éirin gestured Susanne to leave, but Susanne only held her position. Then Éirin proceeded to take my hand and led me towards herself. I looked over my shoulder, seeing Susanne stay still.

Éirin saw that some people were growing us looks. She ignored them for a slight second and stopped turning to me, her jet black hair swinging to caress her neck. “There’s a party at Skyler’s house tonight.” The Indian guy from the drones. “You’re lucky, it’s your pay day.” She thought for a second. “Though, I’m not supposed to pay you for blackmailing you.”

“I thought this wasn’t blackmail.”

“Of course it is!” she said cheerfully. “I’m too much of a bitch to let an opportunity like this pass by.” She held onto my shoulders. I felt the weight of her manicured, yet slick fingers, play gently on them. “Besides, it would be a nice charity case.”

Okay.

I smiled and felt my head turn to Susanne. She was waiting in her messed hair and thick glasses. “I’ll go if she goes,” I said to The Queen.

Her smile seemed to disappear from her lips and her hands slid down. “No.”

“But she did half the work.” It was only fair. Plus, what was I going to do at Skyler’s house? Oh. I just noticed that. “Wait, why would you want me in there, anyway? I’m not the most popular kid around here.”

“I’m aware of that,” she replied. “The teacher gave us an excellent grade. Don’t expect us to socialize with you.” She started walking out, but then looked like she remembered something. “Oh, and yeah. I didn’t ask you to get help from your little girlfriend.”

“She’s not my girlfriend,” I whispered before she could leave completely. I could almost hear Éirin’s sarcastic “sure, sure” when Susanne stepped in.

“What did she want?” she asked.

“Nothing,” I said a little too quickly. I thought Susanne didn’t need to know about the party. It would probably hurt her feelings or something of that sort.

“Then, why wa—?”

“She just wanted to congratulate us on the work.”

“Well, why did she want me to le—?”

“She’s like that,” I said with a smile.

She returned it.

(*)

“Oh, a party!” My mom fanned herself quickly. “That’s so great, Sweetheart!” She took my face between her hands and pressed my cheeks against my mouth.

We were in the living room, as soon as I had arrived. I didn’t exactly think my mom would let me go, even if it was a simple Friday.

“How come you never let me go?” Rehan asked from above the kitchen counter. Didn’t he know it could break off easily?

“Now not’s the moment, Rehan. And get down from there you’re going to break it,” my mom replied to him and after Rehan got off the counter top, she turned to me. “What are you going to wear?”