Whatever You Say

OKAY

Blasphemy. It couldn’t be her, because first, Teddy had checked everything. Second: no one was allowed to enter except for the participants (at least today), and even if people were allowed to enter The Swimming Team’s locker, why would she be there?

Unless she was devouring one of the members, which wouldn’t exactly surprise me, considering the rumors spreading around since her freshman year (my freshman year also).

I walked around, deciding to definitely skip the “celebration” in honor of the first win for The Swimming Team in Feltch High. I had some short thinking to do and I couldn’t do that with that Teddrex gawking at every move I made. Thinking about it just made me erupt in nervousness.

To tell the truth, I was more confused than nervous.

Susanne had joined us afterwards for a meal down in a restaurant. My dad was working (as usual), Rehan was too self-centered to care about my winning, so it was just my mother, Susanne and me. My mother stared at me from the other end of the table for several seconds. Susanne was the only one talking about the game, when my mother asked me what was wrong. I stood silent without the need to express how I felt.

Crap, the curiosity was eating me alive.

I shrugged, taking a bite of my steak.

My mom understood what that meant. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

I nodded, but didn’t say anything else. That’s when Susanne started looking worried.

It was around eight when I reached my doorstep. I helped my mom bring in the leftovers to the kitchen table and my mom crawled up to her room while I walked Susanne to her door which was right in front of mine. But a gentleman always had to do the right thing. Especially with a girl that was as weak and fragile as Susanne. I received the same question from my mom.

I nodded. She asked again. “Yes.”

She smiled without looking too convinced. She hugged me good-bye before disappearing after her doorstep. I waved at the closed door and walked home.

Then, I went upstairs and undid my shirt, putting it on the hamper. Then I went for my pants, reached for the pockets to empty them out. My hands found the small paper balls people always threw at me in school and decided to keep to take to the trash later. In the middle of the anti-ecologic mess, I found the silver chain and twirled it between my fingers, unsure of what to do with it…

I quick thought hung into me.

What if she was there and saw me drink the pills? Oh, that would mean lots of shitty trouble. Not for me, but for The Swimming Team instead.

We would definitely be cut. No doubt about it.