Whatever You Say

THING

The next day Éirin had asked me to carry her books through her classes.

Well she didn’t really ask. It was more like…

The Queen walked with the usual swing of her hips through the gray lockers of Feltch High School; her Hive following closely behind. She had a yellow dress on this time that reached to her thigh once again and she had a matching yellow bag hanging from her elbow while her other hand carried some books.

She stopped by her locker and paused in the middle of opening it.

The workers and three of the drones situated themselves in front of her, reaching for their lockers while one of the drones, reached for Éirin’s curves and caressed them with a firm hand. The hand groped under her skirt and she giggled as she smacked weakly his hand away.

The butt-groping drone went for her skirt again and pressed her against her locker. His lips situated themselves above her neck, giving her a light squeeze.

I noticed I was staring, and that was when she noticed me.

Her walk to me felt like slow-motion. Her black ponytail was swinging back; her curves were gently dancing their way up to me…

Her green eyes held onto mine as I drank sideways from the fountain, too mesmerized by her beauty to even notice the water spreading around my back.

It wasn’t until I heard laughter from behind that I composed myself and waved at The Queen.

She scoffed. “Don’t do that again. There’s a difference between friends and acquaintances. And we’re not even that.”

I noticed also that her Hive was behind her like a version of Barbie and Her Friends.

One of her workers, a blonde one (which I think was Janette), shifted to take a step forward. “Why are we stopping here?”

“Just need a hand,” she said to her, not breaking contact with me.

Then she proceeded to throw her (very heavy) books onto my arms. I backed away again, noticing I needed more practicing in the pool after this. I backed away more than I could ever think off. People pushed me around all of the time like I was a leaf.

“Don’t you have lockers for that?” another one of her workers asked. She had brown, flowing hair, decorated with a tight bang above her chocolate eyes. I squinted, trying to remember. Anna.

“Yeah, Éirin, I can carry them for ya,” the Butt-Groper said. I had just noticed he was the only black guy of the group. I thought his name was Chris. There were also two blondes and a type of Indian guy in the group.

“No, no.” She gestured with her hand. “Let The Loser do it.”

My stomach sank and did a somersault right there. She was there treating me like crap, I thought. I knew her reputation meant more to her than anything.

So, then I walked following her step all day. She refused to open her locker during the entire day, for I had to keep her stuff along with mine. At the end, the pain killed me.

Finally her last class came. I was tired of the running around campus, trying to keep up with her books and my classes, and I was extremely tired of people gawking like I was a phenomenon. People thought I had become part of The Hive. Heck, rumors had already spread.

But Éirin made sure everyone knew that I would never be a part of them.

That I was just a little “thing” she had to fix.

Now that, that hurt.