Status: Still Working On It

Memorial

08

I giggled at Tom as he tried to get his fingers free of the Chinese finger trap. His forehead was creased in concentration. His cheeks slightly flushed in anger.

“Tom you just got to-”

“NO!” He cut me off midsentence. “I can do this.” He tugged his fingers apart slightly. “They will not win!”

I laughed shaking my head. “They?”

He looked up at me. “The damn Chinese.” I started to laugh harder. I grabbed his hands and pushed them closely together, quickly snatching the trap from him.

“See young grasshopper!” I held it out in my palm. He snatched from my fingers and looked at it in astonishment.

“Ow the bloody ‘ell did yeh do that?” He asked in awe.

I laughed, shaking my head. “I’m magical!” I said standing up. I stretched and walked over to his tv, looking through the movies. “How about a movie?” I asked turning back to him.

He shrugged putting his fingers back into the Chinese finger trap. “Sounds reight with meh.”

I turned back around and started to look through all the movies that the Sykes had. I bit my
lip as I looked through the movies. “Hey, Tom, where is everyone?”

“Mum an’ Dad are shoppin’ an’ Oli has band practice or somethin’.” I heard him playing with the Finger trap.

“Oh.” I picked two up and turned back to Tom. “Ninja Turtles or The Goonies.”

“I don’ care, yeh pick.” He said

I put Ninja Turtles down and put in the Goonies. Tom placed the finger trap on the small coffee table and I hurried over to the couch lying down and putting my feet on Tom’s lap. “Eww, yer feet reek Pay.” He pinched his nose and smiled at me jokingly, making me laugh. He pushed my legs off his lap and got up from the couched walking towards the kitchen. I turned my head and watched the previews that were playing on the screen.

I heard the door open and I turned to see Ian and Carol walking through the door, with bags in their hands. Carol looked over at me and smiled. “Payton!” she grinned, setting the bags on the ground and hurrying over to me. I stood up and smiled as she pulled me into one of her love crushing hugs.

“Hello, Mrs. Sykes.” I said

She pulled away and scowled me. “Fer the millionth’ time, dear, call meh Carol!”

I smiled sheepishly. “I’m sorry, Carol.”

I heard Ian chuckle as he walked back from the Kitchen his hands free. “Lo, Pay.” He smiled at me.

I smiled and offered a small wave. “Hi, Mr. Syke….I mean Ian.” I caught myself. I turned to Carol and she smiled happily. She reminded me of Tom so much, it was almost weird sometimes.

She kissed my temple, “Enjoy yer movie with Tommy.” I nodded and sat back down as she walked toward the groceries she had dropped.

Tom walked in a few minutes later holding a bowel of popcorn. I smiled at him, tucking my legs underneath me. He sat down beside me and placed the bowel in his lap. We watched part of the movie silently eating popcorn. Halfway through the movie I yawned, shaking my slightly.

Tom looked up from my lap. “Tired?”

“Kind of.” I said brushing my fingers slightly through my best friend’s hair.

“Oh,” He turned his attention back to the TV. “Pay, can I ask yeh somthin’?”

“Sure, anything Tommy.” I looked down at him but he kept his focus on the TV.

“Do yeh like bein’ with Oliver?”

I smiled slightly, a warm feeling washed over my cheeks. “Yeah, I do.”

“Do yeh trust ‘im?”

This question caught me off guard. My eyebrows furrowed and I felt a bit of concern peck at the back of my mind. “Why?” He didn’t answer me and I felt my heart pick up a bit. I pushed his head off my lap and stood up. I walked in front of the TV and turned towards him, “Tommy, Why?”

He looked up at me slowly and sighed. “‘E ‘angs round with Neil’s sister quite a bit.” He sat up. “An’ lately a bit more than before.”

My heart started to pick up some more. “So?”

He ran his fingers through his light brown hair. “I’ve known Sara fer a while now....”

“And?” I felt my eyebrows knit together.

“I know what ‘se like, Pay.” I watched as he nervously rubbed his hands on his pant legs. “An’ I know how Oliver…” He hesitated. “used to be.”

I felt my hands start to sweat. “W-what are you trying to say?” My voice came out slightly weakened.

He looked up at me, “M’ saying….i don’ know if Oli, has changed. I mean yeh’ve been mates with meh, since year 6. Yeh know how meh brother is with birds.” I shook my head, trying to get his suggestion out of my head. He stood up quickly and walked over to me, pulling me into a hug. “I don’ want to see yeh get ‘urt, Pay. Yer meh best mate, an’ it guts meh to just think of yeh ‘urt.”

I pushed out of his arms holding back my tears. “Oli wouldn’t do that to me, Tommy. We’ve been together too long.”

He sighed. “Yeh don’ know that. Oli’s meh brother I know ow’ ‘e works with the birds ‘e’s with.” His eyes saddened. “Yeh know ow’ ‘e is too.”

A tear slip. “You’re wrong, Tommy.”

“I might be.” He shrugged. “Or I might ‘ave it spot on.” I opened my mouth to speak but he cut me off. “M’ not ‘oping ‘m reight, Pay, I would be ‘appy to be wrong. But ‘m only lookin’ at the facts I ‘ave.” I shook my head and he frowned.

Ignored the thoughts in my mind agreeing with Tom, I felt my heart cling to the thought that Oliver Sykes loved me and wouldn’t hurt me. “I trust him, Tom.” My voice came out defensive.

I saw a trace of anger touch his face. “That’s all well, Pay, but I don’.” I glared at him. The muscles in his jaw tensed slightly. “M’ just lookin’ out fer yeh.”

“Why?” I balled up my hands.

“BECAUSE YER MEH BEST MATE!” He shouted, throwing his hands up. He was slightly reddened in the face from frustration and anger. I felt the house get silent and I looked at him shocked. He had never shouted at me like that. I stayed quiet as he calmed down, “Meh brother is the cheatin’ type, yeh an’ I both know it.”

I felt my tears build up and my eyes. I moved and grabbed my heavy jacket and slipped on my shoes. I walked passed Tom not saying and work and walked out the front door slamming in behind me. I hurried down the steps of the porch, holding my jacket close to me. Tears slid down my cheeks icely as the winter winds nipped at my face.

The snow crunched under my feet as I walked towards home. I blocked out Tom’s words hoping they would disappear forever. I was happy for once, couldn’t I just have that?

I heard the sound of someone else walking in my direction. Soon enough a pair of arms wrapped around my middle. “Lo, Pay.” Oli’s warm breath hit the side of my neck, sending a shiver of warmth up and down my neck. I kept my head down and wiped away my tears. He chuckled, “Yeh hardly wearing enough to keep yeh warm, Pay.” A sent I hadn’t smelt on Oliver in a year filled my nose and more tears built in my eyes.

I felt something touch the top of my head and I moved. I looked to see Oli holding his hat in his hands. He tried to put it on my head again but I didn’t let him.

“Pay, let meh put the hat on yer head before yer freeze yer bloody ears off.” He tried again and then stuffed it in his pocket. “Fine then neither of us will wear it.”

I turned my eyes away from him and watched as the wind blew the snow around, since he stood in my way. Oli touched my check, I saw him frown from the corner of my eye. I wiped the cold moisture from my eyes with my jacket and pushed past him. I walked faster as I headed towards home.

The wind picked up, carrying the lose snow up high into the air. My hair flew around my face whipping my ears. I nearly ran when I saw the lights of my house. I ran through the front door and up the stairs ignoring the looks my sisters and brother were giving me. I rushed up to my room and threw myself onto my bed. I cried into my pillow, silently.

“Payton, are yeh o’reight?” Holly asked. I lifted my head from my pillow and turned to see my favorite sister standing in my door way.

I wiped away my tears quietly and nodded. “I’m fine, Holly.”

She walked towards me. “Yeh don’ look it, sissy.” She said sitting on the edge of my bed. “Come off what is it?”

“I really don’t want to talk about it right now, Holly.” I spoke softly.

She clicked her tongue looking me over closely before sighing out. “Fine.” She opened her arms and I crawled over to my older sister and hugged her. “Yer goin’ to tell meh later on yeh know.” I nodded softly and she gave me a small squeeze.

“‘Olly!” my small sister Suzie called from the hallway. I heard her small feet patting on the hardwood floors.

“What?” Holly hollered pulling away from me.

“Tom’s on the tellie.” She held the house phone tightly in her small hands.

“What’s e’ want yeh git?” Holly said rolling her eyes.

Suzie placed the phone to her ear. “What do yeh want?” She looked up at me and I shook my head. “Payton sleepin’.” I smiled and gave her the thumbs up. She giggled, “bye.” Then she hung up, skipping out of my room.

I sighed and raked my hand through my hair. Holly sighed and kissed my forehead. “Get some sleep, well talk in the morning.” I crawled under my covers and buried my head in my pillow. The click of the door signaled my tears to run free.

I didn’t know what to think or do. I couldn’t think straight, all I knew is I just didn’t want Tom to be right.


▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲


I opened my eyes and looked over to my door to see Lily holding her hand against the wall. “What?” I signed.

“Get up and dressed.” She walked into my room towards me.

I looked over at the small alarm clock on my night stand. “It’s almost twelve at night.”

“Just get your bum up!” She pulled the covers away from my body, causing me to lose all my body heat. “You need to be ready in twenty minutes.”

I groaned and slowly got out of bed walking over to my closet and grabbing clothes. I threw them on and grabbed a beanie to cover my messy hair. I covered a yawn as I slipped on my socks and shoes. I grabbed my blanket from the end of my bed and snatched my purse from the ground as I walked out of the room still half a sleep.

As I walked into the living room, I saw Tay curled up against Matt side. I looked at them curiously; they had been spending an awful lot of time together the past few days. They were always cuddling too.

Delilah clapping her hands in front of my face startled me making me look away from Matt and Tay. “What?”

She held out a Monster for me. I took it and rolled my eyes, putting it in my purse. I walked over to my couch and plopped down on it. “Why in God’s green earth am I being kidnapped by whomever at midnight?”

Matt chuckled. “Someone’ bit grumpy.”

I glared. “I’m TIRED!”

Tay sat up and handed me another coffee Monster. “That’s what these are fer, Payton.” I grumbled under my breath opening the Monster and taking a gulp.

“Why am I up?!” I groaned

“S’ a surprise.” Tay and Matt said at the same time.

I groaned throwing my head back. I took another gulp of Monster getting up and walking into the kitchen. I searched for something to eat. I heard a knock at the door; I sighed and grabbed a pop tart walking back into the living room. Tom walked in sopping wet.

“Se ready to go?” He asked running his hand through his wet hair.

“Aye I think so.” Tay said, I walked over the couch and grabbed my purse and blanket.

“I’m going to be a complete B word when I get home.” I said walking towards the door. I heard Tay let out a laugh as me and Tom walked out the door. We hurried through the rain towards his still running car. We both hopped in and Tom quickly pulled out of the drive way. I sighed and laid my blanket out on my lap. “You’re not going to tell me either, huh?”

“Nope.”

I sighed and opened my second Monster chugging it down. When I was done I placed the empty can in the cup holder. The twenty minute drive was filled with the occasional clap of thunder and the sound of the window wipes moving against the front window. I starred up at the full moon through the rain. It looked so beautiful through the clouds.

I nibbled away at my pop tart as we drove. Tom cursed as he pulled up to a dark house, he pulled out his phone and dialed a number. “Lo? Did the power go out?” He sighed, “Fuck, well that’s great.” He leaned back into his seat and looked over at me. “They’ll be fine without the light.” He listened to the other person talk. “Aye, m’ out front, be in, in a minute.” He pulled the phone away from his ear ending the phone call.

I looked at him with my eyebrow raised. “Who was that?”

“Curtis.” He said unbuckling his seat belt. He opened his car door and hurried over to my side helping me out. I was pulled up to the house and in side by Tom, who seemed to be in a hurry. He closed the door behind us and quickly pulled me towards a door that had stairs going downward.

I looked at the stairs then at Tom. He pushed me a little more towards the stairs, I held my blanket around me tightly and started to make my way down the stairs. As soon as I was down the first for steps the door behind me closed and I heard a click.

My eyes widened and I turned and tried to open the door. “TOM OPEN THE DOOR!” I shouted, banging my first repeatedly.

“No, yer not comin’ out till tomorrow.” He said.

“Tom!” I shouted.

“Sorry.”

I quickly searched through my bag and pulled out my phone. I touched the screen and it lite up, allowing me to see. I made my way down the dark stairs looking around. The room was empty and plain. A small love seat and a huge leather couch. The thunder made me jump now.

I looked around the room, all the sugar I had ingested in the last half hour made me think I was in a really scary horror movie. The killer was going to pop out of the shadows and kill me with his chainsaw. I held my blanket tight to my chest and my phone out, lighting the room. I walked towards the couch hoping I could curl into a ball and hide under my blanket till the next morning. I tapped the screen every so often to kept it lit.

I dropped my bag and blanket onto the couch as I quickly looked around the room. I kicked off my shoes quickly and from the corner of my eye I saw something move. I turned and the light on my phone turned off. I quickly tried to turn the light back on as fear rushed through my body. I saw the figure stand up and start towards me. I felt my phone slip through my fingers and I heard it hit the ground with a light thud. I watched in fear as they or it got closer and then things when black.
♠ ♠ ♠
having written this in only two hours i feel i have done an ok job:) i haven't updated in a little over a month :( i'm sorry it took me soo long. i really hope this makes up for it. :)
i'm going on vacation for about 2months. x/ it's a happy & sad thing. i don't know when the next update will be. so if i'm not able to type anything up while i'm away, i will post 4 or 5 chapters -that i will have hand written- as soon as i get back :) please don't unsubscribe, cuz i'm not being lazy & taking for ever!! i don't wanna lose anyone who reads this story cuz they think i'm lazy or some shit. i promise to make it up to you guys as soon as i get back in August. pinky promise.

please commet & subscribe?! :)