Sequel: You Better Pray

Going Somewhere

Chapter One, Meeting Alice.

I'd like to introduce you to someone special. Her name is Alice Eloise Green. Alice is working in the diner right now, so we'll have to wait until she get's off her shift. Until then, let me explain to you about her life, where she comes from, and more importantly where she's going.

Alice is a young girl of sixteen, full of heart and spunk. Her spirit hasn't been broken down by the oppression that the residents of Empire, Michigan bring. You see, Alice believes that she can make it... It's not just that she wants to make it, this girl honestly feels like she has what it takes. Alice wants to be an actress, she wants to rub elbows with the likes of Mister Clint Eastwood and Miss Katherine Hepburn. And, you know what?, Alice feels like she's destined to do it; that nothing, and I mean nothing, will stand in her way. The rest of us? We know she'll find a man, and raise a beautiful family. This acting stuff, it's just a phase. If only she could realize this.

Don't get me wrong, Alice can act. She's the best that I've ever seen off the silver screen. Let's face reality, though, the odds are she wont make it. The odds are stacked against Alice. The poor girl doesn't have a chance.

If she ever does make it out of here, she'll be back. In the past, a few have left us as well, but they always come back. Yes...they always come back.

Oh! Would you look at the time? She should be on her way out now.

"Alice! Over here! I have someone I'd like you to meet. Alice, this is Jason... Jason Jacobsen. Jason, this is Alice."

"Pleased to meet you, Mister Jacobsen. Did Mister Smith tell you that I'm going to be an actress? That I'm going to be one of the few who make it? Oh, never mind. You see, sir, I have what it takes, I know that I have it. And, believe this, I'll leave this town one day, and you can say that you knew me way back when. Oh, wow! I could go on forever but I've got to go. I don't want to be late for rehearsal. Pleased to meet you. Goodbye, Mister Smith...Mister Jacobsen."

Lovely girl, isn't she? Too bad she's got everything invested in this silly dream.