Status: Completed on 3/17/12

Foolish

Giving Up

A Month Later,

I just came out of the bathroom with a serious case of nausea. I didn't go home because I wasn't ready and Nick was very understanding about that. Nick was sitting on the bed with a bag containing the main item that I asked for. Nick was so good to me that I thought maybe if we did get married in college like we planned my whole life would be completely different. I had decided that tomorrow I would begin moving back.

"Here you go." He stood up and handed me the bag.

"I know I don't even need the pregnancy test. I already know I am." I said.

"Then why take it?" He asked.

"I wanted to show Marcus." I said going into the bag.

"You know you love your husband. Why not go home?" He asked.

"Because I'm hurt." I said.

"It's okay. Fine go ahead and take the test and then we will celebrate with dinner. It'll be your final night/ you're pregnant dinner." He said.

***

After taking the pregnancy test which came out positive. I tried to call Marcus but he didn't answer. He was probably busy at work. I called Lyric who was probably with Ryan.

"Hello?" She answered breathlessly. I knew what the deal was.

"Hey, it's Mel are you busy?" I asked.

"Yes but what's up?" She asked.

"I wanted Marcus to be the first to know but since he's not answering any of his numbers you will be the first. I'm pregnant."

She let out a loud squeal.

"Oh my God congratulations!" I heard her gt quiet for a minute. "Mel's pregnnt."

"So, if you hear from you brother tell him to call me and don't say why."

"Okay, well I've got to go. Ryan's getting impatient."

"Okay, love you." I said.

"Love you too." She answered before getting off the phone. I tried to call Marcus again but still no answer.

"Hey ready?" Nick asked from the doorway.

"Yeah." I threw on some heels and pulled my hair out of it's ponytail and got my things before we left.

***

Art lunch I was sitting at a dining room table with Nick checking my phone for the millionth time.

"Melodie he will call you back just be patient." Nick said

"I'm sorry. I'm just getting anxious." I said putting down my phone. Soon our server brought our food.

30 minutes into our meal, my phone signaled a text and I looked at it.

Watch out Marcus is pissed off. He saw you at a restaurant with another guy and left.

"Fuck." I said before Nick turned to me.

"What happened?"

"Marcus saw me here with you and he's really upset. I need to get my car and get home." I said.

***

30 minutes later, I pulled up to my house and Marcus' car was parked in the driveway. I got out and closed the door. I knew this was bad. I got my key out and opened the door to see him pacing and very upset in the living room.

"Marcus?" I said.

"I know I was an asshole for cheating but never had I thought you would have cheated on me only for you to throw that back in my face." He was seething.

"Marcus, I never betrayed you." I said.

"Then who the fuck was that with you in the restaurant?" He yelled at me causing me to jump.

"That was my college friend who just o happens to be my teacher. And if I was cheating on you then why would I be blowing up phone all day?" I told him.

"Mel, I don't even know what to believe."

"Unbelievable, you are unbelievable. Fine if your fucking around has caused you not to trust me then draw up the divorce papers. Oh by the I'm pregnant and since we met I never cheated on you. I loved you and now that was for nothing." I spat back at him bitterly and walked upstairs to just pack some things. I planned on spending time at the property that Marcus bought last year. We did have renters but they decided to go to back to East Coast. So, it was a vacated, furnished, smaller but luxury home. I packed up as much as I could and put it in my Range Rover by myself, which I shouldn't had to do. As I was leaving the house I saw Marcus sitting on the couch.

"I will send the papers to you." I said.

"I am so sorry Melodie." He said. "Maybe I doomed us from the start when I slept with Karrine." He sounded so pathetic but I was hurt.

"At least you could say we did try." I said before getting my purse. I searched through the contents and found my capped pregnancy test. I put it down on the coffee table. He leaned forward and picked it up to look at it.

"You really are pregnant." He said.

"Yeah, I would never lie about it." I said as I could feel the tears coming.

"And the baby is definitely mine?" He asked.

"Like I said I never cheated on you and the baby is definitely ours." I said.

"Okay. I want to disregard the prenup and pay alimony and child support. I want you and the baby to be taken care of." He said.

"Why would you even do that?" I asked.

"Because you've been an amazing wife and I did have an infidelity clause so either way it would be 50/50. I want you to take 55/45. You deserve it." He said.

"It doesn't matter, I never married you for the money. I am going to go now." I said and walked out onto the porch feeling like my heart was literally breaking. I couldn't believe after all of the these years he would let me go so easily.
♠ ♠ ♠
Melodie