‹ Prequel: Going Down In History

History In The Making

That Happy Morning

Breakfast: First meal of the day.

Every single time I have had breakfast in my life, it has consisted of either cereal or eggs. This, to me, was not breakfast. This was a feast.

When I walked into the Spencer household fifteen minutes late, due to Chris and his obsession with his hair, I was instantly hit with a mass of different smells. Each one of them smelling just as delicious as the next. I proceeded to walk into the dining room area, following Chris, when I was met with a sight that I had never seen on anybody's breakfast table before.

I gaped at the table before me that seemed to hold so much food, I didn't know where the first plate ended and the next one started. There was a pile of fried eggs a little bigger than my head. Next my eyes met with about 20 different kinds of meat: bacon, sausage, ham, turkey, beef patties, and some identifiable meats I had never seen before. There was a stack of toast piled so high that, sitting down, you could not see over it. There was pie, fruit salad, brownies and cupcakes. This was like no breakfast I had ever seen.

I heard a light chuckle from beside me, so I tore my eyes away from the almost finished table to look at Chris who wore an amused expression on his face.

"What?" I asked, knowing he had just caught me gaping at the loaded table. My cheeks gave into a blush as I looked over sheepishly at him. "It's just, I've never seen this much food before."

"Well, having everybody come home gives me a reason to go crazy in the kitchen." I heard someone say and turned to meet the woman from the other night. She had light brown hair that curled around her face. She was actually shorter than Chris, which was a shock seeing the rest of his family. She had a flour filled apron wrapped around a pretty red sundress and eyes, the same color as Chris's, looked at me, matching the soft smile on her face. "I'm sorry, I don't think we have officially met. I'm Loretta, Chris's mother." She took off an oven-mitt to shake my hand.

"I'm Charlie." I returned her warm smile as I took her hand into mine. "I'm glad to finally meet you, too bad it has to be under such horrible circumstances." She nodded along with my words, letting me know she agreed.

"Well Charlie, Chris, would you mind helping me clean up? The others should be here soon." I nodded and Chris and I followed her into the kitchen to help clean. Upon walking to the kitchen, I noticed that most of it was already spotless. The only real thing that needed cleaning were a couple pans that needed to be washed and dried and the counters that needed to be wiped off.

I stepped over towards the sink so I could wash the pans. Chris knew I was really picky about the kitchen in our apartment and how orderly and clean it needed to be, so he was glad to take the easy job of wiping the counters clean.

Once done with our simple task, Chris and I headed back into the dining room, his arm wrapped around my shoulder and my arm around his waist. The dining room was a lot noisier now than when we had left it not ten minutes ago.

Seeing everyone sitting at the table made me think of what my family did before my dad got a job that made him move around a lot. I missed my small family meals where my mom and dad would ask me about school and my friends and we would just have fun. I felt a twinge of jealousy in my stomach that Chris had all of this and just went away from it all.

I knew most of the people sitting at the table. I recognized Sara's bright blonde hair, Keith's bulkiness and David's grin. There were three more girls there, two I assumed to be Chris's other sisters. I could easily pick them out. One had sandy brown hair like David but it cascaded down her shoulders in delicate curls. The other had Chris's hair color, which was a slightly darker brown and was longer but straight with straight bangs. She was laughing at something David said and I noticed both girls had perfectly straight white teeth.

Once we had stepped into the room more, everyone quieted down and looked at us. Chris squeezed my waist as a comfort to me, though it didn't do much good. The girl with the brown hair stood up and walked over to us, smiling all the while.

"I'm Rachel, but you can call me Ray." She stuck her hand out to shake. I shook it as the other girl walked over to introduce herself.

"And I'm Cait. It's nice to actually officially meet you." She smiled as I shook her hand also.

"It's nice to meet you guys too. I'm Charlie, Chris's girlfriend." I smiled back at them. I heard Chris let out a breath that he had been holding in when Ray had walked over. The lead the way to the table and we all sat down. I placed my hand on Chris's lap and gave it a gentle squeeze. He took my hand in his own and held it there throughout breakfast.

"So Charlie," I heard Cait start, "when did you two get engaged?" And here it was, the real reason I was here right now. The engagement questions. As prepared I was for them, I was still thrown a little off guard on how quickly they started asking.

"Well, umm actually, only about three nights ago." I smiled shyly and turned back to my food. I head Cait and Sara talking about their engagements and weddings, along with Keith imputing on his a few times.

All of our heads turned when we heard the front door slam shut. My eyes widened, probably along with everybody else's eyes. I turned to Chris to see him already looking at me with anger and a small hint of fear in his eyes.

"Shit." He muttered under his breath. All of us knew that the happiness and fun would quickly go as it had come. All with one person. Brad.
♠ ♠ ♠
so it's been a little over a month guys
sorryyyyy
I've been super busy
and I'm having writers block and a little less motivation that I had before..
]: