Status: So... active for me apparently means years in between, I promise that's not the case this time. I hope.

Right to Choose

Sign

If I could take back what I did that night, I would. I didn’t realise it would do so much damage. If I hadn’t done all of that, she would’ve still been around to stop me doing what I did next. Everything would’ve been so much better, so much easier, if I’d kept myself to myself that first night. I brought this upon myself.

***

May 6th, 2011

“Mum?” Cass called out tentatively, standing in the hallway of her house, listening out for sounds of movement in her mother’s bedroom, “mum..?”

“What?” A hoarse voice croaked back at Cass, before dissolving into hacking coughs.

“I need you to sign this for me,” Cass had slowly ventured down the hallway, the old wooden floorboards creaking under her shoes as she stepped into the doorway of her mother’s dark room, her eyes adjusting to the lack of light until she could finally make out the figure of her mother, huddled on the middle of the double bed, sheets and blankest strewn around her.

“What for?” Cass’s mum croaked out again, still caught in the middle of a coughing fit.

“I’ve been suspended… I need you to sign this, so school knows I was here,” Cass gently placed the form down on the edge of her mother’s bed with a pen, speaking softly.

“Were you even here?”

“Yes mum… I’ve been in my room the last couple of days,” Cass mumbled, inspecting her shoelaces.

“Suspended, huh?” Her mother sat up on the bed, a bony hand gripping the pen as she scrawled a signature on the note, “come here.”