Status: So... active for me apparently means years in between, I promise that's not the case this time. I hope.

Right to Choose

Accidents

I still sometimes wonder why things happen the way they do. I wonder if I did something wrong in a past life to deserve this, or if God just has a sick sense of humour. I don’t know which one I prefer anymore. If she was here, she’d give me a better answer, but I didn’t think this far ahead when I drove her away from me. I pushed her away and I only wish I could bring her back.

***

August 10th, 2011

“Cass? Is that you? You alright there?” Evans leaned out of her car window, calling out to the teenage girl laying in the bushes by the footpath.

“Unnfgh,” Cass groaned, slowly sitting up. The hood of her jumper had slipped away, showing her sweaty face and hair, “I’m good, just… y’know, going for a run and all that… thought I’d have a break… as good a place as any, huh?” Cass grinned then, flexing her calves and springing herself up to her feet.

“A run? You?” Evans tried not to laugh, pulling her car over and turning off the ignition so she could talk to the teen for a bit longer.

“Oh shut up, just because you never see me running, doesn’t mean I can’t,” Cass huffed, blowing a few strands of light brown hair out of her eyes.

“Uh huh, uh huh. Who did that, by the way?”

“Uh, no one. I walked into a door,” Cass lifted her hand to where Evans was staring, her fingers lightly ghosting over a yellow tinged bruise around her cheek and the remnants of a black eye.

“Cass,” Evans sighed, finally taking her sunglasses off to stare at the girl properly, “it’s been over a year now. No one can have this many accidents. Why won’t you tell me who keeps doing this to you?”

“No one is doing it! Fuck, why can’t you just believe that I keep falling over shit?” Cass huffed, looking away from the police officer.

“Cass, I’m not stupid, and neither are you. Why won’t you tell me? I can help you!”

“Because it’ll only make things worse, alright? The… person, who keeps doing this, they told me I wasn’t allowed to tell anyone, or else. I don’t really want to find out what “or else” is, surely you can see I have it bad enough already,” Cass scowled, kicking a rock on the footpath, her hands shoved deep into her pockets.

“Oh Cass… does your mother know at least?” Evans sighed, her heart going out to the poor girl.

“No,” Cass mumbled before sighing and looking away, “don’t you have criminals to catch?”

“I’m on my way, actually. Someone broke into your teacher’s house. Reegan, I think his name was,” Evans gave Cass a pointed look, “know anything about it?”

“… oops?” Cass grinned, raising her hand in a wave to Evans as she quickly took off, running down the street and disappearing down a side alley.

“Yeah, oops,” Evans sighed and turned her car on again, pulling away from the street and heading towards her destination, “If it wasn’t her, I’ll eat my hat.”