Status: So... active for me apparently means years in between, I promise that's not the case this time. I hope.

Right to Choose

Innocence

It all started innocently enough. Why wouldn’t it have? We were only young. Fifteen and ready to take on the world, or so we thought. But we were young and stupid and so, so naïve. We thought friendship would last. I sure did. I thought I could depend on my best friend forever. I guess not.

***

January 4th, 2010

The loud pounding on the front door of the house woke fifteen year old Alexis Walker up. Rubbing sleep out of her eyes as she glanced at the clock, she slowly stumbled down the hall, heading to the door.

A few minutes elapsed before Alexis yanked the door open, her mouth open ready to abuse whoever was waking her up at 3 o’clock in the morning on a Saturday no less, but the words died in her throat as she took in the pale blue shirts of the two imposing police officers on her doorstep.

“Uh… what can I do for you?” She eventually managed to stutter out, trying to be polite, not letting her fear and worry show.

“We’re just insuring this young lady arrived home safely. Are you parents around?” One officer, the shorter one, a female, smiled kindly at Alexis, who could only look blankly back. The other officer, a man this time, stood to the side slightly, showing a lanky fifteen year old girl with messy brown hair, grinning ruefully at Alexis.

“Uh, no ma’am, my parents are out of town for the weekend. They’re at a work expo in Sydney,” Alexis told the officer, still confused as to why they were there.

“Just make sure your sister stays home the rest of the night then, and be safe. Both of you,” the woman sighed, nodding her head as she turned up the stairs with her partner, leaving Alexis and the other girl standing in the doorway.

“So… you gonna invite me in or what?” The girl grinned at Alexis again, nudging past her and into the house anyway.

“Yeah, sure, make yourself at home,” Alexis mumbled grumpily, following her in and closing the door behind her, making sure to lock it. “So… the cops, huh? What the fuck, ‘sis’?” Alexis brought her fingers up near her face, making inverted commas as she said the word sis.

“I got into a bit of a fight, no big deal,” the girl grinned at Alexis, rolling her sleeves up slightly to show her a whopping dark bruise on her forearm in the shape of a handprint. “They picked me up wandering around on my own.”

“Cass, what the hell am I going to do with you?” Alexis sighed at the girl, Cass, slowly making her way back to bed.

“Aw, come on Lexi, you luuuurve me,” Cass grinned, following Alexis to her bedroom.

“You wish, Cass. I don’t know why I call you my best friend sometimes,” Alexis shook her head, crawling back into bed, shuffling over to the left so Cass could join her.

“My winning charm and delightful smile,” Cass deadpanned, curling up on the right side of the bed.

“Ha ha, very funny.”

“I know, right? Love you, kid,” Alexis rolled her eyes at Cass’s playful comment, rolling over onto her side and getting ready to go back to sleep.

“Shut up Cass,”