Status: So... active for me apparently means years in between, I promise that's not the case this time. I hope.

Right to Choose

Suspect

Time went by but we stayed the same. She never changed. She says I didn’t, but I think I must’ve. Surely I must’ve. But, she said I didn’t, and I guess I should trust her. She never lied to me before; she said she would always be there for me. That’s what best friends are for, right?

***

July 18th, 2010

There was a sharp rap on the classroom window before the door was pushed open, creaking the whole time. Everyone in the room turned to look at who was coming in, before losing interest quickly and going back to their science experiments.

Alexis kept her eyes on the front of the room, curious as to why two police officers, one short, blonde and female, the other a taller male with dark hair, stood by the teacher’s desk in the front of the science lab with the receptionist from the councillor’s office.

“Lex, will you pay attention! Lex! Oh God what did I do wrong!?” Cass dropped the two test tubes she had been holding, backing away horrified as a putrid smell came from the bench top, a result of the chemicals she accidentally mixed. Gagging from the smell, Alexis turned around to see what had happened, spotting the puddle on the bench and the angry red burn already appearing on Cass’s arm where the acid had touched her skin.

“Oh, shit, Cass!” Alexis screamed, grabbing her friend’s hand and dragging her to the sink and thrusting her hand under the water, hoping it would help.

“Mr Keller, we need help, Cass –“ Alexis started, but was cut off.

“Cassandra, these officers would like to speak to you outside,” the teacher looked at the young girl sternly, giving her no choice.

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Cass muttered angrily, yanking her hand from out under the sink and storming out of the room, yelling back over her shoulder, “and my name is Cass you asshole!”

“Was that appropriate Miss Williams?” the female officer stared down at the young girl.

“Probably not, Evans,” Cass shrugged, grinning up at the officers, “what? You’ve picked me up at least ten times this year. Think I wouldn’t remember your name?”

“Fair enough Miss Williams. Can you tell us where you were last night?”

“Out. Why?”

“You were named as a possible suspect in a B&E along your usual route.”

“… oops?” Cass grinned, shoving her hands in her jeans pockets.

“Please get your things, Miss Williams, you’re going to have to come down to the station with us,” the officer, Evans, sighed.

“So I don’t have to go to English? Works for me,” Cass grinned, walking off, “you two coming?”