Status: Hmm...hope I finish this one :) Sorry for all the other one's I've totaly abandoned. I'll go back to them some other time.

Love Is Dead

Chapter 12 (Damien)

I stood in the bedroom in my apartment, facing the gargantuan window. Dark, ominous clouds were rolling in and the first signs of a major storm were taking place. I felt that my mood matched the dark, gloomy weather. Sighing, I grab a gray jacket- not that I'd need it- and strode out of my room and down to the main lobby. Debating whether to either walk, or fly, I shrugged into my jacket. I opened the main doors and for reasons beyond my understanding, I decided to walk the way to my parent's residence.

The rain began as a slow drizzle, but quickly made it's way up to a little more than a sprinkle. I continued to walk, finding it oddly more comforting than flying. Maybe it was the fact that it was more mundane, or maybe it was just me being odd. I began to mull over what Everlyn had said, and started to feel a tad bit guilty. I really shouldn't have acted like I had towards Gloriana. Sure, she was a complete and utter bitch, but I should have behaved in a more civilized manner. I will apologize to Chauncey and Mother for creating all of this chaos. But, then again, it was them who had forced Gloriana and I together. Shouldn't they be the ones to apologize? I let out another sigh. Nonetheless, I would apologize-not that it would make things any better.

As I was crossing a busy intersection, it was like a bucket was overturned in the sky. There was no way I could even think about flying in this weather. No doubt that the storm would be worse up there. Giving up walking at a normal, human pace, I used my super-human speed and in about two seconds I was in front of the gates of my parent's mansion.

Sensing my vampire/demon blood, the gates gently creaked open. I jogged up the path and made my way into the house. What I saw made made my instinct kick into high gear and my non-existent heart hurt. My mother lay in the middle of the floor, a wooden stake through her heart. Blood circled the stake where it was inserted into her chest and was still trickling down her body and onto the floor. Surrounding her were Everlyn, Jace, and Chauncey. Everlyn sat on her knees, head bent and eyes closed as if she were praying, but we all knew that our kind were not meant to pray to God. Jace stood off to the right of her with a hand clasped to his mouth, eyes glistening. To the right of Eve stood Chauncey, looking not somber, no. Not even a hint of mourning in his eyes, but...annoyance. No, Chauncey was not sorrowful that his wife, my mother, was just staked through the heart and left for dead.

"When did this-," My voice broke off as a tried to muffle a sob. I hadn't moved an inch and the door was still swinging open.

The all look up, just seeming to notice I was in the room.

Jace cleared his throat. "Just minutes ago. We had not yet had an opportunity to reach you."

"Who-," Again, I was cut off, but by Chauncey.

"Do you have even one excuse for last night, Damien?" He exclaimed.

That finally pushed me over the edge. "Our mother, your wife has just been murdered and you have the nerve to question me about my behavior?! Do you even care that your wife is laying lifeless on the floor not five feet from you?" I took a few steps toward him. "Well, do you?!"

He stared daggers into me. "There are more important matters to discuss. Arrangements for her to be taken care of are being made. For now, we must worry about you and Gloriana-,"
I laughed a dark, humorless laugh. "I'm sure you can take care of all of that without me." I turned to Everlyn, now standing up, facing me. "If you want, you can stay in my apartment. I'm sorry. I can't stay here."

Then, without looking back, I fled that house-and hopefully Chauncey- for good.