Hell's Kings

Waylon

Watching my fledgling, I knew he hadn't listened to me. The boy would come away scarred at best. More likely, he would die and I would not lift a finger to help him. I could not teach an idiot and if he was dead, it would be better for all of us.

Those who could not follow the laws deserved to die, something I pointedly reminded Victor and Hector every time that we heard a new rumor regarding young Mathias.

I was not dealing with my former fledling at the moment however; I was dealing with one that had even less brains and potential than Mathias had had. It made him likely more dangerous than Mathias would ever be. After all, at least Mathias knew what kind of prey to stay away from.

Could the boy truly not smell that the girl had blood on her and not simply in her? Or did he not care? I was going to have to go with the later given his current position standing over her looking more like a stupid creeper than anything. The little fool.

And then the girl began to cry. Not simply cry, but wail.

I rolled my eyes upward. What had I been thinking when I had turned this one? Oh yes, I had just seen him fight. It was clearly the only asset that he had. But without a brain to go with his skills, he was useless to us. Footsteps pounded against the ground telling me that two humans were moving this way cautiously. Looking back at the idiot, I narrowed my eyes. HIs fangs were already unsheathed.

Stupid bastard.

I attacked him before the girl could noticed the fangs. If she noticed them than...no, that was best not to think of. My fledgling fought against me, angered at being deprived of his meal. Not that I would give him a chance to regret his mistakes. Something I had learned in my centuries was that mercy was a weakness that could not be allowed. Especially not when we had to work so hard to hide our race. There were those who said we should have been the rulers of human kind but I had seen the fall of that empire.

Never again.

Flipping him over my shoulder, I spun around and pressed my knee into his neck. His form writhed under me as I looked down at him feeling no pity or apathy. "You caused this," I told him before I slipped my knife from its hiding place in my boot and slid it between his ribs and into his frail heart. Unlike the myths would have you believe, vampires do not burst into dust when they die. Their soul slips away and within a few hours, the body does decay and return to its human state leaving no evidence that anything was different about the creature that died.

It was a way that we could safely hide.

Before I stood up, I slid the knife into my boot and looked back at the girl who had stopped wailing but was now sniffling and staring at me with something like wonder or awe. That didn't bode well in my opinion.

"You saved me..." she whispered.

Dear God. She was one of those.

"Are you alright?" the two men asked taking in the scene as I turned towards them.

"He saved me!" the little blonde jumped in. "That guy was attacking me and...he saved me," she was staring at me in a way that I knew would make things end badly if I did not deal with the matter quickly.

The men nodded approvingly. "Good job pal, you need help cleaning this up?" the asked. Brooklyn accents, clearly not from around here. That made things simpler.

"Thank you, but I shall be fine on my own," I promised them keeping my voice low so they wouldn't hear my accent. It was a trick that Avery had taught me when he had first turned me so many ages ago. The men nodded and left leaving me alone with the corpse of my fledgling and the young woman he had so erringly targeted.

Arms wrapped around me from behind and I stiffened, the smell of her vaginal blood so damn tempting. "Thank you," she whispered.

"Just go," I growled softly. She stiffened this time, her breasts pressing into my back. It was so tempting to simply spin around and take her, but I knew better. Control was a key. You'd think it would get easier with age.

She pulled back after a few moments and I didn't have to look at her to know that she was pouting. "I'll see you again," she vowed. I let her walk away thinking that. She would see me again too. I was going to make sure of it because I was going to kill her, properly...

After she had finished her period.