Hell's Kings

Avery

My phone had been going off in my pocket for over an hour and I had been ignoring it for that hour. Few people actually wanted to talk to the records keeper. I knew that, I accepted that and quite honestly, I didn't give a damn one way or the other. I had better things to do with my time than piss and moan because no one wanted to talk to me.

Of course one of those things was illegal, but that was beside the point.

I brought my hand up and knocked on the door leaning against the frame as I waited for Thessaly to open up. I had met the young woman seven months before when I had found her daughter Monica wondering around a park alone around nightfall. I hadn't decided what I was going to do with the little girl when Thessaly had come along half-frantic, snatching Monica away from me and into her arms.

I should have walked away then and there.

What can I say? I had been bored. I had been planning on killing her that night though and then Monica too. Instead, there had been something about Thessaly's frank and yet guarded manner that had convinced me to spare he for one night more. One night had turned into months. I knew what would happen if anyone like say Hector or Waylon ever caught us, but I had convinced myself that some things were worth the risk.

The door opened to reveal Thessaly with little braids in her hair from where Monica had clearly been at work. I didn't say a word about it, but leaned forward and kiss her cheek instead. "You look great."

"I look frazzled," she corrected shaking her head as she moved aside to let me in. Not that I needed permission. The thing most people don't know about vampires is that we need permission to enter a home, once it's given, it can never be taken back and we can enter whenever we please. Thessaly had invited me into her place a month after knowing me. Of course, it had been a necessary thing on her part since I had been carrying a sleeping Monica, but she didn't know that and I wasn't ever going to let her know that. "I think Sarah's been kidnapped," she admitted as she moved into the kitchen.

The news was shocking to say the least. The fact that I cared made it that much worse. "Are you absolutely sure?" I asked trying to throw it off. Thessaly's younger sister Sarah had probably just been working too hard and crashed without her phone on. She had done it before.

"I've called her phone six times. I've called her work, they haven't seen her in days and her study budy, that idiot Lily, called looking for her just an hour ago." She had been moving around the kitchen pulling things out of cabinets and drawers with no real purpose until she finally stopped, her back to me, her hands braced against the counter. "I'm worried about her Avery. This isn't like her."

I came up behind Thessaly and rested my hands on her shoulders for a moment before I allowed my fingers to slowly start digging into her back. A soft moan escaped her lips. "That's not fair," she whispered.

A smirk touched the corner of my lips as I leaned forward and kissed the artery that ran down her neck. "I promise I'll look into it for you." I might not have told Thessaly what I was, but she knew that I had power. I was playing a game a chicken with the rules, one that I would eventually lose. I knew that, but I was in so deep that I didn't give a shit anymore.

"Mr. Avery!" Four-year-old Monica came slidding into the kitchen and into the back of my knees wrapping her chubby little arms tight around my legs. Leaning down, I swung the little girl up into my arms and planted a big kiss on her cheek which sent her into a fit of giggles. I was growing to understand why real father's were so protective of their daughters. If any of my brothers would have spoken to me about hurting this little girl now that I had known her for so long, I would have killed them without hesitation. I understood our laws for women more than anyone could now that I was so close to two of them.

And I was quite willing to tell most of those rules to fuck themselves.