Status: Revamped. I've also decided to take a darker turn than I had intended for which people may disapprove (if I ever make it to the end). I actually haven't had anyone to bounce ideas so message me if you'd like to help. Subscribe/comment if you like it!

Shambles

Chapter 1

I could hear Sam get up and turn off the TV in the living room and I waited, patiently facing a wall so he would not see my makeup if he decided to check on me before he went to bed. His footsteps grew louder as they reached my room and I closed my eyes, breathing deeply as I played my role as the good stepdaughter who was in bed early on a school night. When the door clicked closed I knew I just had to be patient for a few more moments- once he was washed up and changed for bed he would pass out and never check on me. Clearly I’d done this before. This was all routine for me now.

After he turned the water off and there was silence for a few minutes I crept out of bed, pulling on my strappy heels and grabbing my purse that held only my fake ID and condoms in an otherwise empty wallet. I think Sam didn’t have the sense to check on me again because he was only my stepfather; he never had a kid of his own so he never honed those parental instincts.

The window opened easily and the climb across the roof to the gutter was so familiar to me it didn’t matter that the house light wasn’t on or that I was in a dress. I only slipped once when my foot missed a bolt.

The rusty, beaten Lincoln was stalled a few houses down with the lights off so not to draw attention. “We could have walked.” I stated as I slid into the passenger seat. The back already had the two other girls from our crew in it, Holly and Laura. In the driver’s seat was my best friend Janine, a tall, wispy and elegant blonde that had been very convincing when she got me, Holly and Laura involved in the beginning of the summer. Today, we swore, would be the last day since the first day of our senior year started tomorrow.

“If you don’t pick up anyone, do you really want to end up walking home?” Holly inquired as she rested her chin next to Janine’s neck on the driver’s seat. Laura, who obviously wasn’t wearing a seat belt, rested on her elbows on the center counsel between the two front seats and puffed her red curls. “Besides Angie, I personally decided if you, Holls, and Jani run off I’ll just take the car home so it won’t end up getting towed if we get back after seven like last time.” I rolled my eyes and Janine laughed, adjusting the rearview mirror as she spoke. “Laura, you’ll probably be the first to run off you little addict.” I caught Laura stick her tongue out before she put on her most innocent expression. “I can’t help I’m cursed with sex appeal.”