Status: Revamped. I've also decided to take a darker turn than I had intended for which people may disapprove (if I ever make it to the end). I actually haven't had anyone to bounce ideas so message me if you'd like to help. Subscribe/comment if you like it!

Shambles

Chapter 5

I tried to avoid talking about what was happening with the Sanders family triangle for as long as I could, even going as far as to hide out during lunch from Janine, Holly and Laura. But when our final class came- which was a free period, I couldn’t escape. We had a class together before that, AP Biology. I did have to congratulate myself on avoiding Brian for the rest of the day, he had been in almost all of my classes, and sitting away from him had been a proven struggle since I seemed to be the only person he wanted to talk to besides Janine. Since Janine and I had planned our schedules nearly the same, I forced her to sit in the back with him and introduce him to people. To be honest, I really didn’t need to even ask twice, she was more than willing.

“Listen, I’ve told you pretty much everything. Let’s just go.” Laura and Janine weren’t budging, and Holly was neutral, so I convinced them to at least go to our local coffee house, Café Bean. When we got there, we took a booth by the windows and I gushed about everything again, adding in the details on Ms. Sanders and her brother Brian. The only thing I left out was Brian’s final question to me. Since Janine seemed to approve of him I didn’t want to ruin any ideas for her. When I finished, each was in their own world, thinking.

I wanted to move the topic away from myself.

“So, I know Holly had Tom. What happened with you guys last night?” I asked. That was all Laura needed to get away from the topic of me to her catch. “Liam” sounded like a pig to me, but by the way Laura talked about him he was like a knight in shining armor. “He really knew how to please me.” Janine snorted, and I shot her a look telling her to keep retorts to herself, trying so very hard to remain neutral when I was thinking the same exact thing. Laura wasn’t very hard to please in any way. Still, Laura glared at her. “And what about you hotshot?” Janine bit her lip and looked to the side. “I promised not to tell.” That was odd, and completely not like Janine to keep it to herself, especially from me. It also wasn’t part of the game. I pressed. “Ok, student or random guy?” She shook her head. Holly and Laura looked at each other and shrugged. I just had to know. “Jan, c’mon, I told you my lovely little screw up, and Laura told you about her white knight, how about a hint?” She wouldn’t look at me. I sat there staring at her for a few minutes while Holly and Laura had a little side conversation. Finally, Janine mumbled something. Holly and Laura stopped talking and looked at me. “What was that?” I hadn’t heard, but Holly and Laura looked shocked.

“Aaron.”

My world was spinning. Aaron, that Aaron? I shook my head. “Aaron? Not Aaron Tanner.” I didn’t want it to be true. It couldn’t be. But then she nodded ever so slightly. I wanted to throw up for the second time today. My breathing became labored and I stood up. Yup, the world was spinning. “Jan, what-” What? What was I going to say? How could she go the whole day without telling me and pretending everything was ok until just now? She was my best friend. I dropped my coffee. Finally she looked at me, eyes sad. “Please, Angie, I-” I didn’t want to hear it. I couldn’t hear it. I turned away and practically ran out the door and to my car, dropping my keys when I got to the door. When I looked at the coffee house window I saw Holly and Laura talking to Janine. Had they known? They couldn’t have, they had looked too shocked. Still, I got into my car and pulled out onto the road.