Status: Revamped. I've also decided to take a darker turn than I had intended for which people may disapprove (if I ever make it to the end). I actually haven't had anyone to bounce ideas so message me if you'd like to help. Subscribe/comment if you like it!

Shambles

Chapter 8

When I woke up the next morning I contemplated what would happen if I never went back to school. I could get a GED and go to college, not having to worry about facing anyone from this town ever again.

But I would have to face them. Though not a small town, it wasn’t quite large enough to fully ever escape.

I trudged through my morning routine listlessly, half-heartedly doing everything that needed to get done. I was sitting at the table not tasting my cereal when Sam came through the door to the kitchen.

He kissed the top of my head, “Good morning munchkin! Are you ready to get into the full swing of things at school?”

Sam’s back was to me as he was pouring a cup of coffee so he couldn’t watch my slink down in my chair. I calmed myself with the thought that he had no idea what I was going through, he couldn’t censor himself if I didn’t tell him. I pushed the cheerios in my bowl around with my spoon, suddenly not hungry. He was so happy, he must have had a good day in court yesterday afternoon. He turned around and I straightened up.

“Yeah, you know- basic classes. The biggest challenge will be figuring out colleges. I can’t wait to get out of this town.” His face fell into a half smile that didn’t meet his eyes and I automatically felt guilty. I never had thought about what Sam wanted, but I was pretty sure he didn’t want me to leave. He and my mom had been soulmates. They finished each other sentences and could almost always tell what the other wanted before they said anything. It might have been a year, but we both felt the constant loss. We had been cheated.

“I mean, if your firm is looking for an intern to grab coffee they could probably sway me to staying around.” I placed my bowl in the sink and gave him a kiss on the cheek, then started gathering my books and pencils on the table. “How was work yesterday?”

With Sam, it was easy to flip the switch. He had thrown himself so deep into his job that it made or broke his life. He started animatedly talking about a client he was defending. The new employee had been nervous going to a prison for the first time- he had worked a year for the state before flipping sides. I smiled, Sam was always in charge of the newbies since he was the most charismatic. In a way what he lacked in structure with me he brought to his office. All his employees were like his children. While was talking I looked at the time and sprinted to get my keys. He seemed to sense I was in a rush.

“Bye Angel, I’ll be back late tonight. Don’t have any wild get-togethers.”

I threw him a grin and raced out the door.

I was almost late to school, so I took a seat near the door just as the bell rang. I had been so preoccupied with making it here that barely remembered what I would be faced with. Ms. Sanders stood in front of the class and dove right into the book.

Today I moved too quickly for anyone to stop me from leaving. At least I thought I had until Brian was walking at my shoulder. I kept my eyes forward and waited for him to clear his throat.

“Are you going to follow me around like a puppy all day?”

Brian grinned. It was a dopey sort of smile, but he pulled it off. I cursed the entire family for beings so good-looking.

“Admit it- you love having someone to rely on.” I rolled my eyes and started to formulate a snarky reply when I stopped dead in my tracks. It took Brian a second to realize what had happened to me. Aaron’s eyes were glued to me and I wondered how long he had been watching me. He was encircled by his old football friends pretending to be laughing at something someone said, but I knew he wasn’t listening. My heartrate skyrocketed and the blood rushed to my legs. Brian turned around and walked back to me, “Hey, if you really want me to go just say the-” I grabbed his arm and pulled him down a connecting hallway that led to the auditorium.

Brian looked puzzled. “You realize our class is the other way, right?”

I dragged him through the mass of people until we were about halfway down the hall then took shelter in the nook of a water fountain. I let Brian go and found my hand was shaking. By now he knew something was up, but he didn’t press me for answers. I met his eyes. “That was Aaron.” Brian shrugged and looked over his shoulder as though he was expecting Aaron to come around the corner for another look, then he looked back at me. “I know, I took his spot on the football team. Now he’s second string. I think he was glaring at me though- he’s a bit of a tool.” I shook my head. “No. He-I- we dated for two years until this summer. I broke-we just-it ended suddenly.” Suddenly was hardly a proper word to describe what happened. I had filed charges. It was over by default. Brian didn’t need to know that though. He looked like he was about to say something but the bell cut him off. We were both late. I sighed and walked off down the hallways towards my English class.