Status: Still working on It. But please tell me what you think.

Near, Far, Wherever You Are

Lusitania



The third day on the Lusitania, my sickness had finally subsided that morning. All of yesterday my stomach was doing back flips. The baby was making me quite sick. But as for today, I was feeling much better. The sun was shining brightly, and the weather was quite warm on this mid-May morning. Rose and I were walking around the sundeck talking about various things.

“—So Jimmy actually walking in on you two?” Rose laughed at my story.

“Well not exactly, Harry and I were both unclothed, So Jimmy assumed. Then Charles walks in and warns us that if Smith or Will finds out they will have our heads on a silver platter.”

“Oh I see, so where is Harry and Jimmy anyway?” She asked, as she held onto her clutch.

“Actually, they are in a meeting with the other officers.”

“Don’t they always have a meeting?” Rose was right. The officers have been having these meetings every day since they’ve been on this ship. Not that I don’t mind or anything, but I’m starting to miss Harry. I don’t get to see him very much on this trip. Though it’s kind of understandable that we can’t even be seen together very often on this ship, knowing that someone will see us together.

“Amanda!” Rose hissed quietly. “Cal is coming!” I looked in front of us, and hard to believe, Cal was walking towards us with an older man walking beside him.

“Come on!” I pulled her into the nearest door which turned out to be the Gymnasium. We peaked through the windows watching Cal walk by. He was talking to the man about the sinking, and how Ruth has become a burden to him. Not that I’m surprised, she did depend on his money.

“That was close.” Rose said to a near whisper, whilst peering out the window watching him walk away.

“Yes, far to close. We need to be careful, or he will have our asses back to Pittsburgh before I say ‘I do’.” Rose stared at me like I was a purple Hippo with a frog on my head. “What? It’s not like you’ve never swore before.” I laughed.

“Right…Well, we best go back to our rooms.” She said.

"You're right. Harry should be there in a good fifteen minutes." My green eyes averted to the clock that was placed up against the opposite side of the room. We slowly walked out of the gymnasium, onto the sundeck and down to the C-deck. Those who were passing by gave us non-approving looks as we walked down the halls. Either it is because they noticed we weren't wearing the organs-crushing, whale bone corsets, just our undergarments, petticoats and these dresses with empire waist lines. Mine was a bright, royal blue, with clear beads. Roses' was a soft mint green with lace billowing down the skirt. We just bought them along with Harry's and Jim's suits, in a department store. I assume it was Macy's. The Co-owner perished on the Titanic, and his wife now helps run the business. And since we were passengers and officers, we sort of had a discount. Not that I don't mind or anything, but it is sort of really sad, and very depressing.

Still those who passed by gave us wary eyes, until we heard that kind voice, that was never mistaken; "Well I'll be, aren't you two a sight for sore eyes!" We turned to see Molly Brown, standing behind us with a broad smile.

"Hello Molly!" Rose smiled.

"Well, wouldn't have believed it when they had posted your obituaries, but now I know that is all a bunch of horse manure." She smiled. "How've you been?"

'Why don't we talk in my room." I said as we walked a bit further down the hallway, before we reached the sitting room Rose and I shared.

Once I opened the door, I noticed there was a pot of tea with four cups, sugar cubes, and a small pitcher full of cream. The other ladies took two of the seats at the small table, as I took the third. I picked up the steaming pot, and dipped the spout filling three glasses, and then handing them to Molly and Rose. I noticed Molly likes her tea sweet, with no cream, as Rose enjoys hers with lots of sugar and cream. I only enjoy mine plain.

"So...how are you ladies doing?" Molly smiled while sipping her tea. You can tell she had a thick mid-western accent when she spoke.

"Nothing to exciting, really." I said.

"C'mon Amanda, how're you and that Officer doin'? I seen him earlier." She grinned.

"Well..." I hesitated, before Rose spoke.

"They're getting married soon, and she is with child!" Rose giggled.

"Well I'll be damned, congratulations! That boy is a good match for you!"
The older woman smiled brightly. "Cal caused quite a ruckus at the inquiry with Mr. Lowe."

"Damn that man." Rose hissed.

"You sure do hate him, not that I'm surprised. The way I saw you slap him that night, can see the hatred shining out." Molly shook her head.

"Well he, that family and Ruth are out of our lives. It's just us, and anybody who is willing to help." I retorted while sipping my tea.

"Well said Amanda. You know ladies, if you need any help with money, let me know."

"Oh no Molly... We couldn't take your money." Rose said.

"Nonsense...Mr. Brown and I would love to help." After Molly said that their was a knock at the door, it then opened and in walked Harry, with Jimmy and Charles trailing behind him.

"Nice to see you Mrs. Brown!" Charles smiled, greeting our guest.

"Hello Mr. Lightholler. Harry, Mr. Moody great to see you boys!" She chimed.

"Hello love." I smiled at Harry as he knelt down to kiss my forehead. He took the empty seat next to me, as the other two Officers took the two sitting chairs, that were in the corners.

"So... anything new with you ladies?" Jim grinned.

"Nothing to much in particular. Except we almost had a bit of a run in with Cal, but thankfully he didn't see us. " Rose smiled.

"I see."

~Cal~
I could have been mistaking. It couldn't have been her, Rose is dead. That fiery red blur I had seen must have been some other lady, couldn't have been. Her and that sister of hers is dead. Though they never found their bodies. Probably down with that ship. But now I am on this damn ship, with my brother. and I am constantly seeing that damn Officer, what's his bloody name....Lowe! That's it, Officer Lowe. I've been seeing him waltzing around this ship like he bloody owns it. He is an Officer, he doesn't belong to walk around this part of the ship.
"Cal? Cal? Are you alright?" My brother said to me, as we sat in the smoking room, drinking brandies.

"Yes, David. I'm peachy. Now what were you saying?"

"Well, once we get out of England, we can start looking for other eligible, young, ladies that will wait on our hands and foot, unlike those two broads. If...." I started to trail off, thinking of that fire of blur running into the door, I look much like her. She is far to hard to miss. I must find out, before this blasted plan of my brothers, take effect.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I just goofed on the editing. So now it is edited at ready to read properly :D please let me know what you think :D