Status: Still working on It. But please tell me what you think.

Near, Far, Wherever You Are

Family Values



The last day on the Lusitania, Harry and I were packing what little things we had; all we had was two suitcases, one for each of us. I was about to close mine until Harry touched my shoulder, “Don’t want to forget these.” He handed me the small bag of jewelry that we are going to pawn off to get some cash for us to live by.

“You’re right. Even though I filed a claim on my stuff, it still won’t give a whole lot.” I smiled, as I took the bag from his strong hands.

“And being that my beautiful fiancé is in delicate condition we will need all the money we can get.” He kissed the side of my head, while wrapping his arms around my middle, placing his palms on my five weeks pregnant belly. “As soon as we tell my parents you and I will get married, and begin to be a family. I love you Amanda, I’m forever yours. Faithfully.” His lips crashed down onto mine, enveloping them into a passionate kiss.

“I love you too Harry, forever.” I kissed him back, starting to get a little carried away. But that was interrupted by the heavy white door swing open.

“Oh my god! Do you two ever stop?” Jim’s bright voice bellowed, followed by polite laughter. “We’ve got to get going, we’re reaching South Hampton.” Rose was standing behind him with her bags in her arms. A broad, yet elegant smile adorned her pale face.

“Right, sorry about that.” Harry’s thick welsh accent deepened as his cheeks grew red with embarrassment. He picked up our bag and sat them down by the door so we were able to check over the rooms once more before going up on deck, and wait for them to start leading off the second class passengers.

Once we were on deck, Rose and I covered our hair with kerchiefs and large brimmed hats, I was fanning myself with a fan, even though I was not wearing a corset, being in my condition, it was still really warm in the early May afternoon. The gold strip of my engagement ring shined brightly, as I wore it proudly on my left hand. Harry stood to my left with his right hand on the small of my back; Rose and James were walking behind us as we came near to the gangplank.

As soon as we were off the gangplank and on the docks, Harry hailed a taxi, Jimmy helped Harry pull our luggage onto the back and then the two jumped into the car along with us.
Harry and Jim had to first check in at the White Star line England office, then we all headed to what Harry said was his home. I was excited, but also quite nervous. I’ve never been in Harry’s home; I don’t know his lifestyle or sadly a whole lot about him. I mean I love him to death, but there is so much I need to know about him.

The car ride felt like it lasted centuries before we pulled up to a small cottage. It had a fairly decent yard, It was beautiful. We all stepped out of the car and I paid the driver, before Harry placed his hand on the small of my back and lead the way up the cobble stone pathway.

“This is home.” He said to me, then kissed the top of my head, before he walked up the steps and unlocked the door. As soon as the tumblers dropped, Harry pushed open the door revealing a small, dusty living room. Books filled the cases that lined the walls. The furniture was covered with sheets that grayed from dust.

“This is beautiful.” I just stood there with my mouth agape. Harry and Jim pulled off the sheets from the chairs and coffee table. The fire place looked ghostly as there were no ashes or wood left.

“I’m glad you like it!” Harold kissed my forehead. “I’m going to make some tea. I’ll be back.” He walked through another door.

“I’ll come and help.” James noted, before retreating through the same door Harry left through. Rose and I sat next to each other on the small loveseat.

“So… We’re finally here, in England. I’m sure after the inquiry Cal will be out of our hair and we can happily live our lives.” I said trying to break some tension.

“Are you excite to meet Harry’s family?” Rose looked at me.

“A bit. More nervous really; but this should go well. Or at least I hope is does.” I shrugged.

“I guess you’re right. To be honest I think Harry is more nervous about it than you are. He hasn’t really talked to his family in how long?”

“Yeah I know what you mean.” My eyes looked towards my hands that were twisting the sash of my dress.

“I know it will be a wonderful visit Amanda, I could just tell.” She smiled as her hand touched mine, calming the nerves that riddled through them.

I returned the smile, “Thank you Rose, you’re truly a dear.”
Moments later Harry and James returned with a tray of cups of tea perched atop of it. “Well it’s not much, but bottoms up!” Harry chuckled , as he handed us each a cup. “So I’ve decided if you don’t want to stay in a hotel, there is a guest room down the hallway.” Harry said to both James and Rose.

“I’d be willing to take up the couch until tomorrow when I can leave to my own home.” James smirked.
Rose sat there for a few moments.

“Rose would be delighted to stay in the guest room.” I answered for my puzzled sister, whom only nodded her head with a smile.

“Well then, I believe I should give a tour.” Harry stood, while taking my hand. The other two stood up and followed Harry and I down the hall. “Well first off, there is the guest room…” It was a small room, painted a very soft olive green, stood in one corner is a twin size bed covered with a white sheet, along with a dresser and a small desk. “Um next is the master bedroom. This is the bathroom and toiletry.” He pointed into a room that was semi-across from the guest room. Down the hall was the master bedroom—Harry’s room. It was a larger room with also the same light olive green paint job. The bed was probably a good queen size bed. A double sided oak dresser sat in one corner, a small steam heater in another. It was very cozy like. We walked back out of the room and down the hallway into the living facilities.
“Well in through there is the kitchen and dining room. Also a back door.” Harry said slightly awkward.

“It’s beautiful Harry!” I kissed his cheek that formed a smile on his face instantly.

“I’m glad you love it.” He kissed me.

The next morning James bid his farewell, he wanted to leave early so he can get to his hometown early enough. Rose didn’t really want to go to Barmouth with Harry and I, so she stayed at the house. The trip to Barmouth took us a good five hours to get there by car and train. For Harry it was a lot longer and very agonizing, Harry hasn’t seen his parents in almost fourteen years, and he wasn’t particularly sure how they would react by seeing him after so many years being away from home.
“Is this it?” I asked Harry as we stopped infront of a small cobble stone cottage, with large patio with a swing, and two young girls on the porch steps playing with their porcelain dolls.

“I think so.” Harry gulped, as he took of his cap. I reached for his hand, and squeezed it tight for comfort. When the two girls looked up to see who has walked through the gate, their brown eyes lit up seeing that it was older brother.

“Harry!” The girls shrieked, as they got up and ran to hug him.
“Hello Sophia, Charlotte!” He laughed while wrapping his arms around the two girls. I stood their smiling at the siblings.
“Girls what’s going on?” And older woman poked her head out of the door, while drying her hands off with the apron that was tied around her waist.

“Mummy look who is back!” The oldest girl smiled.

The woman squinted her eyes, attempting to recognize the young man her daughters were hugging. Moments later, her brown eyes widen, “Harold? Is that really you?” She couldn’t believe her eyes.

“’Ello mum.” He waved awkwardly.

“Oh my boy!” She shrieked while running her down the stairs to her son, wrapping her arms around my fiancé. The two of them looked almost exactly alike, except she has lighter hair than he does, but the eyes were a spitting image. “Oh come in, come in. Your father would be delighted to see you.” She lead the two of us in the home.
“George! George! Harold is here!” She looked towards me. “Oh dear, forgive my manners. Harold how dare you not introduce us, Harriett Lowe.” She smiled.

“Amanda Dewitt-Bukator. It’s a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Lowe.” I nodded my head in a slight bow.

“Oh Harold! She is such a doll. Excuse me, George!” Harry’s mother left into another room, moments later she came out followed my an older man, who had peppered hair, brown eyes, Harry’s Jaw line and nose. He was an older version of Harold.

“’Ello father.” Harry said in a monotone.
It didn’t sound like Harry at all.

“Harold. What bring you here to my home?” The old man narrowed his eyes.

“Um Amanda, would you come assist me with making tea.” Mrs. Lowe tugged on my arm.

“Because I’ve decided to see my family.” Harry scowled.

Knowing this was going to get heated up, “Yes of course.” I followed the woman down a short hallway into a kitchen, with a coal burning, cast-iron stove, along with a porcelain sink, wooden kitchen table, and matching cabinets. “What would you like me to get Mrs. Lowe?” I wasn’t entirely sure what to do.

“Oh dear, in the sitting room, in a small china hutch there is a tea set, can you please fetch it for me.” She smiled.

“Sure thing!” I smiled back, before walking out of the kitchen. The two men were now currently yelling at each other. Walking past the feuding men, towards the china hutch, retrieving the glass ware, and walking back towards the kitchen; the last words I caught of the argument,

“I told you four years ago I didn’t want to see your face here again and now you show up unannounced.” I was hurt; Harry didn’t tell me he visited his family four years ago. I mean it is none of my business, but it still hurt that Harry never told me that. I walked into the kitchen, with the tea cup and saucers, setting them on the table.

“Here is the china Mrs. Lowe.” The woman turned and smiled.

“Good, the water hasn’t boiled yet, so it will be done in a few.” She wiped her frail hands with her blue apron. I smiled meekly, “Is everything alright dear?”

“Oh yes, I need some fresh air. I will be right back, excuse me.” I nodded my head, and left out the back door, walked the wraparound porch to the swing. Talking a deep breath, I sat down, taking in the beautiful scenery. Feeling a small tear trickle down my cheek, I thought about Harry, the baby our future.

“Damn these emotions.” I growled, as I wiped away the salty tears with the sleeve of my dress.

I’m not sure how long it has been since I came outside but, the door creaked open, followed by a pair of arms wrapped around my shoulders. “Amanda, darling, is something the matter?” I turned to look Harry in the eyes.

“Why didn’t you tell me you visited your family a few years ago?”

He took a deep sigh, “That day was a very hurtful day, even though I finally met my youngest sister. But all in all, I wanted to start up fresh. With you by my side.” He kissed the top of my head.

“Harry I want our relationship, our family to be the best with no lies, or hidden secrets. I love you so much.” Placing my hand at the nape of his neck, I pecked his cheek.

“You’re right. And I’m sorry my love, my father and I finally made amends, or partially. And my mother wants us to stay for dinner.” He smiled.

“I’m not going to ask how you made amends, but if you want to go to dinner, I will.” I smiled giving my fiancé a delicious kiss.

“Tea is ready!” sounded from the house.

“I guess we better go inside.” Harry grinned.

“Are you ready to tell them?” I raised an eyebrow.

“As ready as you are.” Harry kissed me again, before we walked inside.

Mrs. Lowe was pouring tea for everyone including the two girls and Mr. Lowe. We chatted four about five minutes until Harry gave me that knowing look. “Mum, dad, I have something to tell you. Amanda and I, well we are getting married, and Amanda is with child.” He grabbed my hand.

“Oh Harold! I’m so happy for you!” Mrs. Low hugged her son, then hugged me. “Welcome to the family Amanda!”

“Well this call for a celebration!” Mr. Lowe spoke up, while walking to a liquor cabinet and pouring scotch for the men.

“Yay! Harry is going to be a daddy!” Sophia giggled.

“So how did you two meet each other?” Mrs. Lowe gushed.

“Well Mrs. Lowe—” I started.

“Oh honey, please call me either Harriett or mother.” She grinned as I smiled even more.

“Well I guess it started when Harry and I were aboard the Titanic, on the second day of sailing I had, I guess passed out and Harry was there to rescue me. Almost getting arrested by err… Cal Hockley.”

“Cal Hockley? That American steal tycoon?” Mr. Lowe scoffed.

“Yes, you see my sister was engaged to him. Well Harry was a ship Officer and I was in first class. When he kissed me after the dinner the day after, I knew, we knew it was true love.”

“Her mother didn’t allow us to be together and the night of the sinking I had proposed to her.” Harry finished.

“That is so sweet and romantic! When we saw the paper that said you were on the Titanic and it sinking, we were heartbroken, but we saw the Inquiry with your picture along with the report. It was a great relieve.” Harriett sighed.

“That Hockley boy caused quite a commotion; it was all over the papers here and in England. What on earth was it about?” Mr. Lowe asked his son.

“Well on the ship Amanda’s mother announced that they had found a suitor for her and that she was engaged. Well the man was Caledon’s older brother, David. Well, her sister, Rose and Amanda was pulled from the water into my boat after the sinking.” Harry said.

“Rose and I didn’t want to go back to that lifestyle. I love Harry and Rose loved someone else. So we gave false names, well last names and supposedly let them think we were dead.” I finished without any trace of emotion upon my pale face.

“My, my…That is quite a story you two. Now on other terms, when do you plan to be wedded?” Harry’s mother asked the two of us.

We both looked at each other, with grins on our faces, “June Twelfth, two days after the English Inquiry has ended.” Harry nodded, “We want the wedding to be here in Barmouth.”

“Yes with our close friends and relatives as witnesses.” I smiled.

“Oh how exciting! We have no time at all!” Mrs. Lowe gushed wrapping her arms around me. “Amanda won’t be showing for another month or two, which will be perfect. I knew you weren’t far along when I first saw you.”

“I’m sorry but you knew already?” I was lightly shocked.

“Oh honey, I’ve had eight children. I know the signs when I see them.” She chuckled.

Dinner went well, with talking about plans for the wedding, baby names and everything in between. It was only five by the time we left, and took another five hours back home. By the time we got home, it was almost ten.
We walked in, Rose was sitting on the loveseat, reading a book by candle light. “Hello Rose!” I stated letting her know Harry and I were home.

“Oh hello guys, how did it go?” She greeted us.

“It went well, we told them and we found a date.” I smile wide.

“Oh my god tell me when!” She squealed, flailing her arms with excitement.

“June Twelfth.” Harry grinned.

“Oh yay! This will be amazing!” Rose clapped her hands together. “By the way, I made tea, it is in the kitchen.” She said.

“Oh no, it’s alright. I think I’m going to bed.” I said with a yawn, before heading to the master bedroom.

“I’ll be in there soon love.” Harry smiled.
I continued my way to the bedroom, pulled off my dress and changed into my night gown before crawling into the bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
just to get this out, this is once again, all fiction with very little facts. I mean no disrespect to the Lowe family in any way.
If you haven't noticed I changed the rating to pg13 from R because it isn't as racy as Ithought it was gonna be.
But pleease comment! and recommend! Harry needs love! He is just sooo darn good looking :S