Status: Still working on It. But please tell me what you think.

Near, Far, Wherever You Are

Dining with the Snobs, and partying with the steerage



Dining with the snobs, and partying with steerage ~Chapter Three~
Titanic Fan-fiction
5th Officer Harold Lowe


Trudy was helping me, lace my corset. This is the sort of corset that, when your finished with the top laces, It pushes your breasts up so far that they are almost falling out. When she was done lacing the whole thing up, I sat at my vanity.
"Trudy, dear. What dress should I wear?" I asked. "I want to look my best, tonight."
"Is it for that dashing Officer?" She smiled. I nodded my head. "Well then I think you should wear the emerald green one with, the black lace and beading." She walks over to my wardrobe and pulls out the dress, is made of emerald green silk, with black sheer fabric. It had a short train, with a sheer black sash, that wrapped around my waist and trailed along with the train. And a square cut neckline that was trimmed with black beads and it was very sparkly too. After she helped me fit into my dress, she did my hair up into a nice toppled twist, that was definitely a old late 1800's fashion. Short ringlets and strands fell down on the sides of my face and my neck. "Is there any hair accessories you would like you use, Miss?" I pulled out a matching string of emeralds. She wrapped that with the hair. I did my own make up; I can't stand other people doing my make-up. I picked emerald claw-footed earrings with a black silk ribbon to tie around my neck, like a choker.

"You look stunning, Miss; If I do say so myself."

"Thank you Trudy." I smiled as I twirled in front of the full length stand mirror.
There was a faint knock on the door. I look at the clock, it was 6:43.

'He's early.' "Can you please get that Trudy?"

She then walked to the door, and opened it. "May I help you Sir?" She asked my visitor.

"Yes, I'm here to escort Miss Dewitt Bukater.” I knew that familiar voice.

"Trudy, don't let the poor boy, stand out there. Have him come in." I giggled; as she let Harry in. He was dressed in a very formal version of his daily uniform. It was black, with silver trim around the cuffs. He looked so handsome.

"This is for you Ma'am." He handed me a white rose.

"Thank you Officer Lowe. But how did you manage to get this?" I asked, with a slight giggle.

"I have my connections." He grinned.
"And I might add that you look absolutely beautiful."

I could feel a blush rise. "Thank you, Mr. Lowe."

"Excuse me for interrupting, but would you like me to take that for you and place it in a vase?" Trudy asked.

"Yes, Trudy. And thank you dear." I handed her the beautiful rose.

"Shall we?" He asked, offering his arm.

"Yes, we shall." I took his arm, and we walked down the corridors, to the grand stairs. We could both see Jack standing at the bottom of the stair case, looking like he was trying so hard to belong.

"Mr. Dawson!" I said as we reached to the bottom of the stairs.

"Miss Dewitt Bukater. Mr. Lowe, I am so glad you guys are here." Jack mutter to the two of us.

"I could tell." I giggled.

"Do I look that nervous?" He asked.

"Yes. But you do look handsome." I smiled.

"Thanks. Hello Mr. Lowe, How are you." Jack asked. I could see Mother and Cal walking down the stair case; absolutely ignoring us. But not far behind them was Rose in a dress similar to mine, but hers was a maroon color.

"Hello Mr. Dawson. I am well, thank you!" Harry said. Then Jack turns towards Rose, and his face lit up like a light bulb. He takes her hand and kisses it softly.

"I saw that in a nickelodeon once, and I was will to do it." The two smirked.

We walk up behind Cal, and Ruth. "Cal, surely you don't remember Mr. Dawson." Rose taps Cal on the shoulder.

"Dawson! I didn't recognize you. Amazing, almost past for a gentlemen." His eyes then dart towards Harry. "And you are......"

"5th Officer Harold Lowe, Sir." Harry nodded his head.

"Oh! Right, the Officer that accompanied my soon to be sister-in-law." His eyes narrowed, when his eyes fell on me.

Molly walks up and take Jack's other arm, they talked for a while. I turn to Harry. "So Harry, are you nervous at all?" I grinned.

"Why, Do I look nervous?"

"Yes Sir, You do." I grinned even more.

"Damn." He muttered under his breath.

"Don't worry. It will be fine." I said as we walked to our table.

At the dinner table they started to serve the first part of the appetizers, and mother had a sly look upon her face. She turns to Harry. "How did you become an officer, Mr. Lowe?" She asked.

"Well, Ma'am. When I was fourteen, I ran away from home; because my father wanted me be to become and apprentice in his business. But I wouldn't work for nobody for nothing. So I ran to become a sailor on schooners, square, and riggers. Since then I've been working on all sorts of vessels, in the Atlantic. But a few months ago I joined White Star lines, now as a fifth Officer on the Titanic." He smiled politely.

"And how is that going for you?" She said icily.

"Quite well Ma'am. I enjoy working on the sea, and my duty is here on the ship."

"That is interesting Mr. Lowe." Cal said. Then mother turned to Jack.

"Tell us of the accommodations in steerage, Mr. Dawson. I hear they're quite good on this ship." She was testing the both of them. Or either embarrass them.

"The best I've seen, ma'am. Hardly any rats." I could see Rose motions to Jack to take his napkin of his plate. I could see Harry also taking his napkin off his plate. I smiled slightly, at his concentration.

"Mr. Dawson is joining us from third class. He was of some assistance to my fiancé last night. Also Mr. Lowe who was of some assistance to my fiancé’s sister yesterday afternoon." Cal grinned maliciously.

I could hear Mr. Guggenheim whisper to Madame Aubert, "What is Hockley hoping to prove, bringing this... bohemian... up here? And the Sailor?"

"How do you like your Caviar sir?" A waiter asked Jack. I sat next to Jack, with Molly on the other side.

"No Caviar for me sir..." He glances at Cal. "...Never did like it much." His poker face went to Rose who smiled.

Through out dinner kept asking Jack questions, she kind of had put Harry aside, as she interrogated Jack.

"....To make each day count." Jack said promptly.

"Well said Jack." Molly raises her glass slightly.

"And you Mr. Lowe, what do you think about what Mr. Dawson said?" My mother asked.

"Some one, special to me had told me to seize the day. And that is what it means to me." Harry smiled.

"Here, here." Colonel Gracie raises his glass.

"To making it count." Rose raised he glass in a toast.

"—and seizing the day." I followed behind her. Every one did the same, all at once. Mother on the other hand had a course look on her face.

"How is it you have the means to travel, Mr. Dawson?" She asked.

"I make my way, from place to place. Tramp steamers and such. But I won my ticket on the Titanic here in a lucky hand of poker." He glances at Rose. "A very lucky hand."

"All life is a game of luck." Colonel Gracie says. I heard Cal reply something to Gracie's remark.

Then a conversation starts up about Mr. Andrews, and the Titanic. I turn to Harry; "They are always talking about the Titanic. I honestly feel so bad for Mr. Andrews." I whispered to him. He chuckled.

"I see what you mean. I could tell he doesn't enjoy the attention."

"Who doesn’t? Except for the rich bastards that feed off attention." I whispered into his ear, making sure nobody has heard me. The carts of desserts where wheeled out. “Next it’ll be Brandies in the smoking room for the gentleman." I rolled my eyes.

"Well, Join me for a brandy, gentlemen?" Gracie looks around the table. "Joining us, Dawson? You don't want to stay out here with the women, do you?"

"No thanks. I must be getting back." Jack replies.

"You, Mr. Lowe?"

"No thank you Sir, I have other things to take care of." Harry nods his head.

"Probably best. It'll be all business and politics, that sort of thing. Wouldn't interest you. Good of you to come." Cal looks at the to then retreats with the other men.

"Jack must you go?" Rose asks in a soft tone.

"Time for my coach to turn into a pumpkin" He takes her hand and kisses it. I could see something being slipped into her hand. I smiled internally, then looking at mother who looked quite aggravated.

"Amanda." Rose says softly then slips the paper to me, from under the table. I unfold it, it read: 'Make it count. Meet me at the clock.'
I could feel Harry reading over my shoulder, out of the corner of my eye I could see him smirk.
I look up at Rose, who is giving me a pleading look. I motion for her to go. I then look at Harry; I think he knew what Jack had in mind.

"Would you like me to escort you ladies back to your rooms?" He asks looking at Rose and I.

"Yes, please, Mr. Lowe. Excuse me ladies." I said getting up from my seat.

"Excuse me, Ladies, Mother." Rose got up from her seat. Harry offered his arms, and we were out. As soon we were out of earshot of the table, she asks--"What should I do?"

"Go to him Rose. I noticed how you two were looking at each other." I smiled.

"Also I'm sure what he's got planned, it's going to be a blast." Harry laughs. We walk towards the bottom of the grand stair case. Jack is leaning against the banister, looking at the clock. The clock had just striked the hour.

"Go." I motioned her to go to him. She walks up and he turns.

"Want to go to a real party?" He laughs.

"Come on, I want to take somewhere." Harry said.

"O.K." I said, as we walked to an elevator.

"E-deck" He tells the steward.

We walk into the General room for the 3rd class. It is filled with people of all ages. A band is on the stage, playing quick paced Irish music.

"WOW!" I said loudly.

"Great huh. Only a few of us Officers attended these." Harry laughs.

"Hey Look! There is Rose!" I point to a table; Rose is sitting there drinking a pint of beer, watching Jack dance with a little girl.
When the music stops, Jack turns to Rose, from what it looks like it looks like he was asking the little girl if he could dance with Rose.
The band plays another song and the two get into a very close waltz position.

"Would you like to dance?" Harry asks me.

"Sure!" I took his hand and we start to jump around, twirling and whirling. I giggled with every swift turn, as he smiled.

"Wow! I didn't know you could dance!" I told him.

"I didn't think a first class girl could dance!" He said.

"Bite Me!" I giggled.

Everyone around us was dancing and having a good time, when I see Rose on her feet, doing a ballet stance. "What in bloody hell is that girl doing!" I said to myself.
I then look to the entrance to the general room and see Lovejoy, with a few stewards looking around. He must have been looking for Rose and I. He spots Rose, and looks around again.

"Harry, cover me!" I said as I turned to where his back faced Lovejoy, I brought my lips to his and flip my hair to the side of our face, so nobody could recognize me. I glance over, with my lips still pressed against his, seeing that Lovejoy was walking back up stairs.

I release Harry from his collar; He looked at me dumbstruck for the most part. “Wow… I mean—wow!” He look completely shocked.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that.” I looked at the floor.

“No… It’s OK. It was just a bit of a shock. But I’m really glad you did it. Like you have no idea how bad I wanted to do that.” He said, while placing his hand on my cheek.

~Meanwhile~

“She’s down in the steerage…with him.” Lovejoy whispered to Cal. Cal was sitting in the smoking room when he was informed this. “Also her sister, is down there. With that sailor!”

What! This has to stop! I will not let my reputation, nor’ my brothers be ruined by a sailor and is pet rat!” Cal nearly shouted. But he managed to keep his voice low enough so nobody could hear what he was saying. “I shall talk to the girls. But if it moves anymore further then acquaintances, I will make their lives hell.”

“Sir, Amanda… she was kissing the sailor. From what it looked like sir.” Lovejoy grinned. Not only because he was informing is employer what was going on, but how he had the girl trapped. He had something planned, it was an evil plan at that.

~Back to Amanda~

“Hey Amanda, do you want to come with me. I have another thing to attend before my shift starts up again.” Harry asked me. While we were drinking a pint.

“Yeah of course!” I said, obviously not knowing what he had in mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
haha what NOW! I told you I would have it out really soon! But also I have been lagging a bit and I am terribly sorry. School is totally kicking my ass at everything grrr. But please tell me what you think or anything like that thanks a bunch and I would like to give a shout out to DearestBreeanna for being the first person to comment. Thanks a bunch. and Here is a virtualcookie *hands cookie*