Status: Temp postponed. Computer probs. We'll be back soon.

Listen to the Thunder

Beware! Cougar!

"Where do you want to go? There's tones of choices." Paul asked me as we walked.
Paul, what a freaking name.
Sure, he's cute...but I'm not here for cute boys. I'm here to get better.
"Dude, I just asked you to get me out of there. I really hate party's,"
"Why?" He chuckled slightly.
"Because...bad experiences." I replied, trying to end the conversation.
"What kind of bad experiences?" He pressed.
"Okay, let's get one thing straight, Paul... when I try to drop a subject, just drop it."
"Are you saying that there will be other times that we hang out?"
"Yes...wait no!" I nearly shouted.
"I'll take that as a yes."
"No, you will take that as a maybe." I stated stubbornly.
What? I'm complicated.
"So, can I take you to McDonalds?" He asked with a cheeky grin.
"Oh how romantic!" I stated sarcastically while batting my eyelashes. "I think I'll pass. Fast food is gross,"
Food is gross in general.
Dammit, I really have to stop thinking that way.
"How about we just go in and sit down on the third story? It's a killer view."
I hesitated for a moment before nodding my head. I know that if Rumor was here, she would be damn proud of me. Accepting a strangers offer isn't easy for me. Accepting anyone's offer for food isn't easy at all.
"You sure do know your way around this city." I commented after we arrived at the semi-crowded fast food chain.
"I guess," He shrugged. "I've lived here for like the past year."
"Good to know," I nodded.
"What do you want?"
My eyes skimmed the menu.
"Can I just get a Diet Dr. Pepper?"
"You don't want anything to eat?"
"No, I ate before I left."
Lie.
But I did eat lunch earlier. That counts, right?
"Okay," He nodded and ordered something for us while I looked around me awkwardly. So many people were pushing and shoving. I was seriously surprised by the amount of drunk people that packed the small room. "Here you go,"
I took the cup slowly.
"Thanks, Paul."
"You're welcome, Jack."
I felt a small smile make it's way to my face as he reached for my hand to lead us up the stairs toward the second and then third floor.
"You're right..." I nodded in agreement. "This view is killer,"
"Told you so," He chuckled.
"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.
"So...Jack...tell me more about yourself."
"Um... I just moved here from Nashville with my step-sister..." I answered carefully. "We needed room to breath."
"And Nashville didn't give you room?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.
"Not exactly." I danced around the subject.
"What kind of music are you in to?"
"Ah, you know... punk rock music." I replied. "What's your favorite band?"
"Blink,"
"No way!" I nearly shouted. "Mine too!"
"Them and Newfound Glory are pretty awesome,"
"Good Charolette is pretty freaking sweet too."
"You like them?"
"Correction, love!" I stated.
Paul smiled widely at me.
"They're having a concert a few blocks over tomorrow night. Do you want to go with me?"
I think I nearly fell off of the chair my keester was currently sitting on.
"You're kidding me right?!"
"No..." Paul trailed off with a chuckle. "I happen to know a guy who can get us backstage passes too."
"NO WAY!" I squeaked. "I've only been in love with Joel since forever!"
"You know that he's with Nicole Richie, right?"
"Duh! Dude, I would totally go gay for her,"
"You would?"
"Nope." I smiled. "I don't think I could ever do that. I was totally joking."
"No really."
"Ha ha."
Paul smiled at me and laughed.
"How old are you, Jack?"
"21," I replied. "What about you, Paul? You've gotta be at least 23,"
"No," He laughe and shook his head.
"Then how old are you?" I asked, causing my eyebrows to knit together.
"I'm 20,"
"Oh my damn." I laughed awkwardly. "That's just...weird."
"You're weirded out that you're on a date with a younger guy?"
"Slightly... wait...this isn't a date."
"It's totally a date."
"It isn't." I insisted.
Paul playfully winked at me, and stood up.
"Are you ready to leave now?"
I shrugged.
"Sure. Rumor's probably back at home away."
"Yeah, I think my friend Martin is with her."
"Thank God she isn't alone..." I stated mostly to myself.
Paul and I walked down the stairs and out of the McDonalds.
"Here, grab my hand."
"Why?"
"So we don't get lost." He smirked before offering his hand. "Come on, I don't bite."
"How do I know that?"
"Because I would have already bitten you,"
"Point taken," I stated before lending my hand to his bigger on. "Do you know that your hand is big?" I said dumbly.
"Yeah....did you know that your hair is red?"
"Duh," I retorted. "Now, what I was going to ask is if you play guitar."
I watched as a slight smirk appeared across his lips.
"As a matter of fact, I do."
"No need to get cocky."
"I'm not...just confident."
I wish I had his confidence.
"Where are we going?"
"Short cut," He smiled before pulling me in different directions, and before I knew it, we were standing outside of the appartment buidling.
"Whoa... you weren't kidding, were you?"
"Obviously I wasn't joking." He chuckled. "Come on, don't be a slow poke. Martin texted me saying something about watching a musical and baking cookies."
"Baking cookies? Dear Lord, Rumor already found the secret stash."
"Secret stash?"
"Yeah, I try to keep sugary stuff away from her and vise versa. I never thought that she would find them this fast," I explained as we walked through the lobby and back up the stairwell.
Stupid stairwell.
"I hope that he isn't too plastured. He does dumb shit when he is."
"Martin?"
"Bingo." Paul replied with a wink.
"Stop winking at me. It's weird." I stated before we headed toward the door. I got out my key from my pocket, and I opened the door to be met with the smell of warm chocolate chip cookies and the tv blasting The Sound Of Music.
My first thought?
You've got to be kidding me.
"We should probably be going in."
"I guess you're right." I agreed before we both walked in, and I closed and locked the door behind us. We were met by two people dancing while singing loud and annoying like.
"Hey, Jack!" Rumor called and the guy, whom I guessed to be Martin, waved at us.
I turned to look at Paul and he looked at me.
"Welcome to my life." We stated at the exact same time.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was insanely run to write! I hope you enjoy! :)