Alone at Six

Labor laws

We slid into a booth in a almost empty restaurant called the "Dough Roller." Driving through Ocean City, there were less people than we expected to see, it called for rain today so most people had probably hid out inside or slept in real late.

A extremely perky blond haired waitress came to take our order and left with piratically half the menu written down. But seriously, she looked like her smile was of the Chelsie variety and I was surprised her ponytail didn't fly off of her head.

"So" Jake drummed his fingers on the table "I was thinking-"

"you're not getting another battle fish." Sandra interrupted.

"Why not!? I did great with the last one."

"Jake, you put a mirror up to the bowl and watched it run into the glass until it died. You're not getting another one."

"I was trying to teach it peace!"

"By letting it kill itself?"

"It wasn't a fast learner. What do you think Andy?"

"Hu?" I wasn't paying full attention to their conversation. Actually, I wasn't paying any. Someone over their shoulders had caught my eyes. A girl with dark brown hair in a light blue colored shirt was reading a few booths behind them, totally oblivious to anything around her

Sandra and Jake both looked back "Hey" Jake said "Isn't that-"

"Cole!" Someone out of sight yelled, answering Jake's unasked question. "Is this your bag?"

She shook her head no then turned back to her book, but not before catching Sandra and Jake looking at her. They both turned back around, looking guilty, and Cole went back to her book which cover read 'Behemoth'.

Before Sandra had a chance to say anything, I slid out of our booth and slid in across from Cole. "Hey there. How'r you?" I said after I saw she didn't see me sit.

She jumped then and set her book down "Oh, hi. I'm Cole."

My smile dropped and I gave her a disbelieving look "I know. We met. Twice. Last night."

"We did? I'm sorry, what's your name?"

I was starting to get worried. Had I imagined meeting her? I was pretty tired. I had tried to eat Jake's hard display play-dough hamburger earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if I my thinking was screwy with memories of her too. But I don't think I could imagine those sad eyes and frowning lips. Plus, Sandra and Jake seemed to remember her too.

"Andy."

She thought before saying "I'm sorry. I don't think I know a Andy."

"Sure you do. You know, We gather here to sing for you" I sang "the words you've written."

"Oh, right" Realization dawned. "Andrew. Sorry."

"It's okay. So, what are you doing?" My attempt at conversation was obviously obviously way too obviously obvious for Jake and Sandra because I could hear them sighing in disappointment and Sandra's not-so-quiet-voice saying "I thought we taught him better." Obviously, they hadn't.

"I actually work here. I'm on brake, that whole child labor laws and me being seventeen thing."

"Oh, cool. It's kinda.....dead here."

"Yeah." She scratched her head, causing her hair to clump in one place. I wanted to reach over and fix it, but that didn't seem like the thing to do with her. "I think I might be getting off early. Which kinda sucks 'cause I'll have to take the transit home. But whatever." She shrugged "What are you doing here?"

"About to consume some nutrients." No smile, but a laugh sort of thing escaped her lips. I sighed "We leave tomorrow so we were just wondering around the boardwalk."

"Cool. Well, I kinda have to get to work now." She slipped her book into her bag and started to slide out of the booth. "It was nice talking to you."

"Right. I'll see you later?" I asked with a little bit of hope.

"Yeah, probably not. Leaving tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah" I sighed. I guess she didn't get my hint. Or didn't care.

"So, uh, bye Andrew."

"Bye Cole."

She stood up and passed the table Sandra and Jake were sitting at, saying "Bye Jake. Bye Sandra." and kept on walking

"Bye." They said in unison, realizing they'd definitely been caught eavesdropping.

I slid back into the booth across from them as our food came. "She didn't even remember who I was." I said, rubbing my face.

Sandra took a bite of pasta and with a smug look on her face said "She knew who I was."

I staked up some silverware, suddenly not hungry "Yeah, I know."

"She knew who I was too." My tower was knocked down via Jake.

I sighed "Yeah. I know." She could remember everyone but me.
♠ ♠ ♠
So much dialog! I'm sorry! I didn't mean it! and it's short. Sorry. again.

Story time!
Today in gym(of course) me and David both dove for the ball and ended up four courts over on our backs. We both missed the ball.