Status: Finished!

My Arranged Marriage to Sidney Crosby

Chapter Twenty-Four, Part One: Overtime?

Disclaimer: My characters are the only thing I own, besides the plot line. The boys of the Pittsburgh Penguins belong to Mario Lemieux.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter Twenty-Four, Part One
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Go, go, go!” I yelled as Talbot had the puck and was racing towards the Flyers’ goalie. We were down one and there was two minutes left in the third period. Letang had scored the first goal only forty seconds into the first period, but after that the Flyer’s started to score and we hadn’t been able to really get out of our end. That was, until now.

“Shoot the damn puck already!” Vi yelled next to me.

“Score!” the announcer exclaimed into the microphone. Everyone was standing up clapping and cheering.

“There we go boys!” Mario called out to the crowd.

“Looks like we’ll be going into overtime.” Violetta said as we sat back down, eagerly awaiting what the next two minutes would bring.

“Holy shit.” I murmured under my breath as we won the face-off and Sid had the puck. He was moving around the players, but he wasn’t trying to waste time. I could tell he was determined to win this game right here and right now.

He faked a player and was only a few feet in front of the goalie when he had a perfect opportunity to score. The goalie had come out just enough to the point where he wouldn’t be able to stop the puck. Well, unless he had an amazing reaction time, but I could tell he was tired and we could win this.

I could tell Sidney was smirking that sexy cocky smirk of his and he hit the puck. I held my breath.

It raced passed the goalie- who went sprawling to stop it- and it crossed the red line.

“Holy fuck!” I exclaimed jumping up from my seat and cheering.

“Did he- he just did that…didn’t he?” Vi asked me dumbfounded.

I could only nod my head as I watched the boys celebrate then skate off the ice.

“Let’s go and congratulate them.” I said and took Vi’s hand and dragged her out; after saying ‘I’ll see you later’ to Mario.

“Slow down Jess. They aren’t going anywhere.” Vi said to me as I raced down to the locker room, weaving in and out of all the happy fans.

“I want to get there before the reporters bombard them.” I told her and continued without stopping or slowing down. Once we were almost there I began to run (making Violetta run as well) to the door and when we reached it- I didn’t bother to knock and just burst right through the doorway.

“Sidney-fuckin’-Crosby!” I yelled out.

I saw him across from me and he looked surprised for a second but then smiled a huge smile. I ran up to him to give him a hug- after I had let go of Violetta- but then stopped when I saw how wet and gross he was.

“I’m not touching you til you’ve showered.” I told him.

“Oh come on- I thought girls liked a sweaty man.” He said, flexing his muscles. It was then that I realized he wasn’t wearing a shirt, along with most of the other guys.

“Mhhm, sure, where’d you read that? And I refuse to touch you.”

“Jess- watch out.” I heard Violetta warn me.

But it was too late. I felt someone else come up to me and give me a hug. I made a face as I felt a sweaty body being pressed up against mine.

“Oh come on Jess, it isn’t that bad.” I heard Max say, laughing loudly. I turned around and tried to wiggle free but it was impossible.

Next thing I knew, however, flashes went off and I looked up to see a bunch of reporters.
Suddenly Max let go of me and I was thankful for that.

“Oh- don’t mind us. You can continue.” The one man said.

“Just pretend we aren’t here.” Another told Max.

Max and I looked at each other, both knowing what they were thinking and worried what they would write.

“She’s just my friend- Sid’s actually- and we were just play-”

“Oh you don’t have to make any excuses,” the first guy said, “She was the girl with Jordan, am I right?”

I groaned. Great. Now when Sid announced he was engaged to me, I would be known as the girl who had slept with the whole team. Even if it wasn’t true.

“We’re just friends. I was showing her around the city because she’s just moved here.” Jordan told the guys and came up to me. He was about to place his hand on my hip, but instead put it on my shoulder.

I smiled up at him, thankful, but I didn’t think the reporters would care. And I was right. They just waved it off and then it was time for the interviews.

Violetta and I walked out and sat in the hallway to wait for them to be over.

“Well, can’t wait to see what they say about me in the papers tomorrow.” I said to Vi.

“Don’t worry about it too much. All the guys know you aren’t a slut.” She told me.

“Ha. Yeah, I guess.”

“You’ll be fine,” she said and we sat in silence for awhile, until one-by-one the reporters started coming out.

I waited a little bit longer with Vi, giving the guys a chance to shower and clean up. I closed my eyes for a second, being tired and bored and just waited. I must’ve fallen asleep though because I felt someone lightly shaking me. I moaned.

“Come on Jess.”

When I heard Sidney’s voice- I jumped up and attacked him with a hug.

“That was amazing Sid. Holy fuck. Who saw that coming? Well- I mean I didn’t see it coming until I realized you were absolutely determined to score.”

Sidney chuckled and continued to hold onto me. That’s when I realized no one was around.
“Where is everyone?” I asked.

“They went out to celebrate.” He said.

“Oh- and Vi went with them?”

“Nah- she said she had to work early, but she thanked us for inviting her.”

“Well she’s pretty much the only friend-”

“Jess!” I heard a familiar voice call out.

I turned my head around and saw Jo coming towards me.

“Uh-oh.”

“Uh-oh?” Sid asked, looking down at me.

“Just wait.” I whispered, as she came closer.

“Jess! Did you have fun?” she asked.

I smiled and nodded my head, “Yes, it was great!”

We stood in silence for a second until I realized something, “Oh- Jo, this is Sid. Sid-Jo.” I said introducing the two.

“Nice to meet you Jo.” Sid said.

“You as well. Oh and Jess I think you left something at the suite.”

“Oh- did I?” I asked, “I’ll go check and see if it’s mine.” I said and ran off- hoping Sidney would come with me, but he didn’t and I think it was maybe- possibly because Jo wanted to talk to him so I hurried.

When I reached the suite- the door was open and someone was cleaning.

I saw the woman place something on the table, but I saw it wasn’t mine. I took a quick glance around, but didn’t see anything and I had my phone. I rolled my eyes and quickly hurried back.

“She likes me?” I heard Sid ask, “And she wants me to ask her out?”

“You’ve already asked me that five times! Yes- why is that so hard to believe?” Jo asked him, she looked frustrated.

“Because we’re talking about Jessica Hunter here! We’ve hated each other for years.”

“Hey guys!” I said from the end of the hall, pretending to not have hard their conversation.

“Hey Jess.” Jo said, as Sid just stood there.

“It wasn’t mine, but thanks anyways. The cleaning lady is taking care of it.”

“Oh, sorry. It was near where you were sitting and I didn’t want people to just think I was taking it for myself.

“Mhmm.” I said, sarcastically, knowing full well that she just wanted to talk to Sidney about me.

“I should probably go now. It was nice meeting you both tonight. Maybe I’ll see you around.” Jo said and waved walking away.

“You too and yea, hopefully.” I told her.

She smiled back at us before continuing her way down and disappearing. When I could no longer see her or hear her shoes on the ground I turned to look at Sidney and smiled.

“Are we going to hang out with the boys?” I asked him.

He shook his head, “Nah not tonight. I’m kinda tired.”

I tilted my head, “But you just won a great game. You,” I said and poked him in the chest, “Shouldn’t the guy who scored the winning goal be out celebrating with his team?”

“I told the guys I thought I’d hang out at home and seeing as my parents didn’t come to this game- I’m sure they’d want to see me.”

“Oh yea, why didn’t they come?” I asked.

He shrugged, “Something about wanting us to have our own time. Which wasn’t the best idea seeing as we aren’t even together.”

“Oh.”

“I mean,” he said quickly, “We are together, we just aren’t hanging out and talking with each other.”

“Crosby, I knew that you meant we weren’t hanging out. Besides, I had a fun time. And I didn’t know I would be sharing a suite with Mario.” I started to walk towards the exit and winked back at Sidney.

Sidney stood there for a second before catching up with me and pulling me to him, “What did he tell you?”

“What do you mean? Mario’s just a funny person.”

Sidney opened the arena’s door for me, giving me doubting look, but he didn’t question it further. He simply kept his mouth shut and I laughed at what I knew that he didn’t know I knew. When we reached Sid’s expedition I went to open the door, but instead Sidney opened it. I rolled my eyes, but I thought it was sweet of him.

When Sid climbed in and started the engine up, I got a text. It was from Eric, telling me he was calling me soon. I didn’t reply knowing that in a minute or two, I would be on the phone with him, learning any details I had missed out on or what not.

And I was right, only thirty seconds later I saw my phone lighting up since it was on silent.

“Hello buddy.” I said into the phone.

“Second game.” His soft, but deep voice came through on the other line.

“I know. I’m sorry. I don’t think I’ll be coming to a few more either,” I paused, “So. Are you going to tell me what happened or do I just have to sit here?”

“We lost.” He said quickly afterwards.

“Oh Eric, that’s horrible! What was the score?”

“It was three to four. I can’t believe we lost to them either. We are such a better team than they are. There was no excuse for us not to win that game.”

“Calm down Eric. And I know you’re gonna hate it when I say this, but it’s true. It’s one game. And trust me; I know that one game can mean the most. You just gotta lighten up a bit. You’ve been so stressed lately and I know all the other players are too. You guys are just going to have to skip the partying or whatever it is you do now to go and get some rest. You aren’t an energizer bunny. And even if you were, you would run out of energy eventually.” I told him.

“I know, but I’m just disappointed.”

“I get that. I’m disappointed as well. Just remember there are other games that you are going win.”

I heard him sigh, “I know you’re right.”

It was silent for a few seconds before he spoke up again, “You need to start texting me your good lucks earlier so I can get them. I mean, it won’t be the same as having you at my games, but still.”

“I’m sorry. I know and I’ll start doing that. Promise.”

“Good. Well how is everything going?” he asked me.

“Can’t complain.” I said and looked over at Sidney.

“Really?” He asked, sounding surprised, “So you’ve admitted it.”

“I have nothing to admit to.”

“Oh give it up. I know that you’re just being stubborn.”

“I am not just being stubborn!” I exclaimed.

“My point proven,” He said, “But seriously. Is everything alright?”

“Oh shut up. And, yea actually it is. Oh! They won tonight- Sid had an amazing goal that ended it.” I told Eric.

“That’s awesome. And let me guess, you two are going to go out and celebrate now?”

I shook my head even thought he couldn't see me, “No we’re going home now. Sidney’s parents didn’t come tonight so he wants to go home and see them.”

I heard Eric laugh a bit, “Sure he does. I’m thinking he has other things on his mind about what he’s gonna do when he gets home. I’ll leave you, but be careful.” Eric told me.

“Why would I-”

Click.

“Son of a bitch! He just hung up on me!” I shouted.

“He’s probably mad that they lost their game tonight.” Sid said, looking at me for a second before returning his eyes back to the road.

“But we weren’t even talking about that just now.”

“But you brought up how we won.” Sid said and smiled.

“Yea, but still.”

“You don’t understand a thing about a man’s mind do you?”

“Excuse me. I’ve grown up with boys my whole life. Of course I know how they think and what they think. And trust me- sometimes I wish I hadn’t a clue.”

Sidney simply laughed at me, “You’re so cute.”

“Oh thanks.” I said, being sarcastic knowing that he was saying that because of what I had just said.

“Well here we are.” Sidney said and I looked out the window to see that we had pulled into the driveway.

Sidney cut the engine and he just stayed in the car, not getting out. I was about to open the door when he started to talk.

“Thanks for coming Jess. It really means a lot to me that you would come to one of my games.”

I closed the door again and turned myself so that I was facing Sidney, “Of course, I wouldn’t miss one of your games. Sidney. I’m not as heartless as I appear to be. I do have a heart and I do care.”

“Couldn’t have fooled me.” Sidney muttered.

“Sidney. I know I got meaner in my teen years. But,” I paused. I wasn’t sure if I really wanted him to know about Daniel. Only a few people I trusted, which wasn’t very many, and even they didn’t know every little detail about him and what he had put me through. Sure everyone knew he had cheated on me, but they didn’t know the full story.

“Look, when I started to date Daniel, he was so sweet and nice to me. We never fought. Until one night. I told him I couldn’t hang out with him because you, your sister and your parents were coming over for dinner and my parents just wanted it to be your family and our family. Well, when he found out that you had come over, he had accused me of cheating on him and beat me. That’s why I had that black eye the next day.”

“But you told everyone you had just fallen.” Sidney interrupted me before I could continue.

“I know I did, but do you really think I would tell everyone that Daniel beat me up? We were the perfect couple; we had an image to uphold.”

“Jess you didn’t have anything to uphold. If a guy hits you, you shouldn’t stay with him.”

“I know. And trust me I knew that. But he had apologized and promised me he would never hit me again, but it continued. Any little thing that I did would set him off. That’s why right after dinner I would go back up to my room and stay away from you. That’s why I dressed the way I did then. And why I gained weight.

“I thought he would change, but he never did. We broke up, but we would always get back together after he would apologize and promise me he would never hurt me. I knew he would, but I didn’t know how to get out of everything by that time.”

“You guys never broke up.” Sidney told me.

I laughed, “Yes we did, but no one ever knew because he could hide it so well. The only reason why I ended what I ended is because Eric wanted to hang out with me and knew that something wasn’t right. Well, Dan,” I choked. I hadn’t said his name, little alone his nickname in ages.

Sidney must have sensed my hesitation and how upset I was because he tried to pull me close to him, which was somewhat hard because we were in his car and the console was in the middle.

“It’s alright; you aren’t with him anymore for him to hurt you.” Sidney said trying to comfort me.

I wanted to cry, but was holding it back. I had never cried in front of Sidney. At least not that I remembered. After a few seconds I pulled back a little and took a deep breath, “I want you to know this because I want you to understand why I’m the way I am. And I’m telling you the full story. Eric is the only other one who knows everything. Not even my parents know everything that happened. But I figure I should tell you since we are getting married.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Putting up Part Two after this. Hope you enjoyed!