Sequel: Winter Kiss
Status: Done.

Last Summer

...the view from our last summer...

The fire flickered and cracked as the four teenagers huddled closer towards it, and they say it was the hottest summer on record. It was a classic scene; picnic blanket, log seats and quiet banter between friends, just perfect. Every hidden flaw seemed to turn round and become perfect; absolutely nothing could fault the beauty of the dying summer’s day.

Sarah-Louise was the oldest and quite possibly the most ready for the rest of the year ahead, without her beloved friends. She had driven to their present location, she knew the route her like the back of her hand only this was the first year they had driven here. Passed summer’s had been spent at this very spot and she had sworn to the others that forever more that they would spend it here, no matter where they where.

Julia, the famous grinner of the teens was deep in thought as she stared aimlessly into the fire, never had she thought so hard. College worried her, as much as she was having fun now; she knew that her education was going to continue to be harsh. Although always happy she had always struggled at school. Flat out on her stomach she only spoke when spoken to, though silence had always been a key element in their friendship.

Lee would never admit it but he would miss hanging out, driving around and just being with his friends. He, unlike the other three wasn’t staring at the flickering lights of the fire, he chose to watch the sun fall beyond the trees instead. It was a ritual of sorts. Watching the shadows endlessly change their positions intrigued him as the sun refused to stay in the same place. It was only now that he found out that everything had to move on, even him.

Sonny, the youngest and quietest member of the small group was afraid. Afraid of losing his friends, of growing up and also just never being able to feel this way ever again. He didn’t want to move on, moving on seemed like such an ordeal for the quiet boy. Getting to where he was today was hard enough, and now he would have to leave it behind him like an old toy.

“Do you ever wish it could be this way forever?” Lee asked, his head still fascinated with the idea of movement and change.

“No, I want to grow up and have a family,” Sarah-Louise answered, turning her head to face Lee, “don’t you have ambitions.”

“I do, but wouldn’t it b cool if we could stop time and be as happy as we are.”

Julia rested her chin on the heels of her hands, wanting to get involved in the sudden conversation. She though they both had points, she did want to achieve something but it would be nice to stay like this. She let out a sigh, “Life’s a bitch so we can’t have it both ways.”

“If we stopped time we would have nothing to look back on, if we love these times they’ll be even better memories,” Sonny squeaked, he didn’t speak often but when he did it always came out thought filled.

Lee bit his lip, he didn’t want to think of these times as memories, which would be a long way away, “What if we ever forget, what if out memories fade?” Personally he didn’t think he’d forget but he had to be reassured by his friends; closure meant a lot to him.

“The memories of this place will be as hard to forget as it is to say goodbye to it,” Julia pouted at her words, realising that the goodbyes would be coming soon. At her words, Lee slung his arm around Sonny, just to make sure he wasn’t gone. Sonny had no intention of leaving anytime soon so found it strange, the blonde haired boy didn’t usually get so close.

One of the longest days of the year was almost over, only to be further proven by the sun vanishing behind the trees completely. Sarah-Louise and Lee strained their necks to see beyond the trees, just thick green leaves and the dull sky could be seen. The eldest sighed as she returned her gaze downwards, once the sun was gone so was summer. She had spent the whole day trying to pretend this wouldn’t happen but it was all becoming too real.

“God I’m going to miss you guys,” she blurted out, as soon as she did, she started sobbing.

Julia scrambled onto her hands and knees, then she crawled over to what felt like her big sister, “Don’t cry Sarah, the last time you cried was when Sonny got stuck up that tree.” Sarah-Louise laughed through her sobs; that was pretty funny that year.

“Last time we send a short person to do a tall man’s job,” Lee smiled, ruffling Sonny’s black mane of hair, “you just had to go all macho on us Sonny boy.”

The blue tinted eyes belonging to Lee wondered past Sonny as he looked at the two girls, both of them were now crying. Unintentionally he gripped onto Sonny tighter, Sonny didn’t mind at all. Reality had hit them all full force now, this was their last summer. Not even they could predict what was going to happen, the future was so unclear and their memories seemed so vibrant.

An odd noise came as the wind whipped through the beaten car a few yards away from them, night was almost here and so was the end of summer.
♠ ♠ ♠
First of three, it's ok.