Status: Completa. =D

Life Has Died, And Yet We're Still Alive

4

Could all of that really have been just a dream? I think quietly to myself, my eyes still closed as sleep slowly drifts away from my body. I feel a soft, silken fabric covering my body, and the strong arms I know instantly to be those of Bryan’s are wrapped around my waist. My arm no longer hurts and the pain that seemed to last forever is gone, leaving me content and happy in my husband’s embrace. Slowly, I peel my eyes open, an angelic light pouring over us and the soft aroma of vanilla filling the room.

“Bryan…?” I ask quietly, my eyes adjusting to the lighting quickly.

A smile spreads wide across my features as I see him sleeping peacefully beside me, everything about him perfect in every way. I reach forward and lightly brush a piece of hair from his forehead. He shifts a little in his sleep before his face contorts with thought, a sign that he’s slowly waking up. “G’morning…”

His eyes slowly open, his sleepy grin widening tenfold after a moment of looking at me. “Lynnie?” he asks, almost unsure that I’m unreal. I nod vigorously, smiling even wider.

“We did it, you were right…we’re still together, Bry,” I tell him, propping myself up on my elbow and looking around to observe the room. “Doesn’t it seem like heaven to you…?”

All around us, everything is perfect. Not a speck of color or line out of place, everything angelic and beautiful and comfortable. The room is made perfectly for us, most of the colors themed like our wedding was and the furniture exactly what we’d always looked for.

“Yeah…it really does,” he says, and I turn to see him looking straight at me and smiling happily. I lean down and softly kiss his lips, every happiness I thought I could feel being present in my mind. We kiss for a moment before he slowly pulls back and nods upwards toward the canopy covering of the bed. I give him a small look of confusion before turning to look up at it. Engraved into the wooden roof above our heads is a message written with such perfect handwriting, it seems as if it were done by angels.

Could it have been?

{True love has kept you together, even through disaster and death.
But to remind you of the horrors you’ve so narrowly escaped, there stands a window at your side.
Remember to forever treasure the love you both so strongly possess.}

I turn back to Bryan, a troubled look on both of our faces. “A window?”

“Over there,” he says, pointing behind me. I sigh and slide from the bed, looking down to see that I’m in a soft, silken pink nightgown that flows to the floor at my feet. I walk to the side of the room he pointed at, my eyes widening with every step I take.

From the window, as far as you can see, there is only death and destruction. Bodies left laying there, buildings crumbled at their sides and the ‘storm’ still raging the earth. To see all the people just laying there, and the ruins this storm has left behind as it travels the world, shocks me with horror. My hand goes up to lightly cover my mouth, a quiet gasp leaving my lips. I hear Bryan’s feet step across the floor to me, his arms wrapping tightly around my waist and his chin resting on my shoulder.

I shake my head slowly, disbelieving at the sight before us. I rest my hand ontop of his, staring at the awful picture in front of my eyes.

Inside, our world is beautiful and perfect, and it’s just the two of us held together by our love. Yet, through a window, lies all the horrors of Pandora’s Box and more.

“Bryan…is th-this Heaven or Hell…?”

“I don’t know, Lynnie,” he replies quietly, “…I don’t know.”