Status: Finito :)

Hunt the Haunted

5.

I was back out in the field, dressed in a white summer dress, my red hair fluttering freely down my back. The field was green. Greener than it had been in a long time, and there were flowers everywhere. Stood across the field, I could just make out the top of a blonde head of hair over the tall grass. I’d recognise those curls anywhere. I ran towards her, and she ran away. I chased her to a clearing, where the grass had been flattened. She was just how I remembered her, only older. She’d be what, eleven now? But, ghosts didn’t age, did they? I was sure they didn’t. I’d never seen them age.

‘I’m not a ghost, Amelia.’ Her voice was haunting, melodic and sweet as she answered my unasked question. Her green eyes sparkled in the sun as she looked at me.

‘Then, what are you?’ I whispered, afraid that if I spoke too loud, this would shatter, and she’d disappear.

‘I’m a cliché. Or your guardian angel. Or a stalker. Whatever you want to call me, really.’

‘Well, you’re awfully well-spoken.’

‘Time passes differently up there. It’s not linear. We have this tendency to wake up and find ourselves years in the future. And being that well travelled generally warrants a wider vocabulary than your normal eleven year old.’

‘Another thing. Why do you look eleven? Shouldn’t you still be seven?’

‘Because, would you listen to my vast wisdom if I was still seven? Apparently, I age until I’m eighteen. Then I stop. I don’t know why. I’m not privy to that level of inside knowledge.’

‘Well, then, dearest Andy, what are you here for?’ She started at that, and I look at her, confused.

‘No one’s called me Andy in years. It’s all Andrea up there.’ I frowned. Andrea never did suit her. It was too old, too mature for my little sister. I grabbed her and sat down on the floor with her, my little sister wrapped in my arms.

We sat like that for a while, until she finally moved, preparing to explain as to why she’s invaded my dream like this.

‘Ammy, look, I’ve been sent here for one reason. To apologise. This apology, it’s from them. The people that gave you this gift. And I know you don’t consider it a gift, but you’ve done so much good. You’ve helped countless people, and I’ve also been told to thank you from all of them. They are all so appreciative. I’m also here to explain some things to you. Namely, Josh. He is their way of thanking you. Of apologising. He’s yours, Ammy. I know that makes him sound like a dog, but he’s your soulmate. As clichéd as that is. They found him, and they delivered him to you.’

‘So, I’m the reason Josh is dead?’

‘No, he was due to die then anyway, they just decided to kill him in a nicer way, because they knew you probably wouldn’t want him if he had a hole in his head.’ She chuckled, and I joined her. I’m not sure why, but I found that hilarious. They killed a man to apologise to me? And all I could think was ‘at least he’s cute’. Which admittedly is probably not what I was supposed to think.

‘But, am I the reason why he can’t move on?’

‘Mmhmm.’

‘Why couldn’t they give him to me, oh, I don’t know, alive?’ I asked.

‘They can’t affect free will like that. They knew the only way to get you together was if he died, and went to you for help. I know what you’re thinking about, Ammy. No one will hold it against you.’

‘Right. Okay. I’ve got that. I think. Hang on. What am I thinking?’ Andy stayed silent, and I just knew that she wasn’t going to answer.

We sat together for a little bit longer. We made daisy chains, and joked about things – everything two sisters are supposed to do in the summer. Eventually though, I felt a pulling sensation, and instinctively, I knew that was my cue to wake up. I stood, and brushed down my dress, helping Andy up. I gave her the tightest hug I could and whispered my thanks in her ear. She kissed me on the cheek, and I opened my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
I swear these are getting shorter :/
On a bright note, I went to see All Time Low on Friday, and it was AMAZING. But I've still got a sore throat :').
Thanks to all of you readers and my subscribers :).
Comments?
Peace xx