Status: Finito :)

Hunt the Haunted

7.

And then the pain was gone. I stretched, not hitting any Josh-shaped objects. This was what first alerted me to the fact that I was no longer in my bathroom. Squinting against the harsh sunlight, I cracked my eyes open, bit by bit. Soon enough, they were open fully, and I could see that I was right in my assumption. I wasn’t quite sure where I was though. I was outside, I knew that. The grass digging into my back and the lack of grey concrete structures made me believe that I was in some sort of countryside. I sat up, and the first thing I noticed was that I ached. Like I’d been dropped from a great height.

My wrists were open, shining red. I could see all of the veins, and the torn flesh, but there was no blood. I’d known this would happen though. You couldn’t heal once you were dead, so I’d have to get some rather fetching gloves to cover the gaping wounds on each of my arms. I was still in my hoodie and my jeans, but the blood stains from earlier were gone.

That was about the time that Josh appeared at my side, concern etched all over his face. He kept asking me if I was alright, and how I felt, so I placed my hand on his shoulder, and forced myself upwards, into a standing position.

‘I’m fine, Josh. Honestly. Just a bit... light-headed.’ I said, almost falling backwards. Josh kept a steady grip on me, keeping me upright.

‘Yeah, that’s how it was for me as well. You just need to sit down.’ He sat on the grass, pulling me down with him.

‘I feel so... floaty. It’s weird.’ He nodded.

‘You get used to it, darling.’ He smiled at me, and I returned it. I felt free, for the first time in forever. We sat there for God knows how long, just marvelling at the fact that I was dead. That we could finally be together, without the worry that one of us was breathing and the other was as dead as a doornail. Why do people say that anyway? Are doornails dead? Were they ever living?

But I digress. Eventually, the sun began to set over the horizon, casting a gorgeous pink hue to cover the field. I stretched, the sound of cracking bones shockingly absent from this movement. I’d have to get used to that. I kind of liked that my bones cracked with every small movement I made.

That was about the time Andy appeared; when I was contemplating the things I could never do again. Surrounded by a suspicious white light, she held out her hand to me, and I rose, walking towards her slowly.

‘What happens now?’ I whispered to her, terrified of the answer.

‘You come with me. Both of you.’ I looked back at Josh, who looked mesmerised at the mysterious light.

‘Where do we go?’ I asked her, looking back at her tiny frame.

‘Now that’d be telling,’ she smirked. ‘But I can tell you that you’ll stay together.’

I smiled, and grabbed her hand, reaching behind me to grab Josh’s simultaneously. I took a step forward, dragging them with me. This snapped Josh out of his reverie, and he grinned at me, his eyes alight with a spark of mischief.

‘I guess we’re off then.’ He commented in that adorable Surrey accent, freeing my hand and swinging his arm around my shoulders.

And with that, we walked into the suspicious light. Cliché, I know, but it’s the perfect ending for a story that was far from normal. Besides, I like the cliché. It lets me tell you lot that me and Josh lived happily ever after. Well, not lived, but you know what I mean. I can also tell you that I still have to help ghosts, but this time, I just help them to get adjusted to our new world. And to be honest with you, they’re a lot less whiny when they’ve been dead a while.

So, guys and gals, that’s where our story ends. There’s really nothing else I could tell you. I could tell you all about what happens when you die, after you walk into the light. But I won’t. I think the fun part is finding out for yourself. You’ll make it here one day, it’s inevitable. And when that day comes, you’ll discover what we do up here. If you can even call it up here, because I’m not really that sure there’s anything below us, but it’s the one cliché I like to use. It’s as if, when you die, your sins are forgotten, and you just float up to eternal peace. God, this story has just been cliché after another hasn’t it? But that’s what my life is, I guess.

Anyways, I’m not saying that up here is one massive picnic. We have our problems too. But once you get here, you’re generally stuck here, so we’re nicer to each other, because it’s not like we can get rid of anyone. We’re all stranded together. I like it up here. It’s a lot prettier than Wales. It’s not all clouds, white robes and shiny gold gates, but it is close. The grass is greener, the sky bluer and the ocean is cleaner.

Me and Josh are happy up here. His dad arrived the other day, and there were tears, but of happiness at father and son being reunited. I’ve seen my parents too. Our relationship hasn’t exactly been salvaged, but we’re working on it, and Andy’s a great help. She’s so positive about everything. And so bloody worldly and wise. It gets annoying.

Yeah, there are downsides, like the fact I can never have a kid. But it is possible to adopt up here. The kids that died before their parents. But they’ll never grow up. That’s the only thing I regret. Not being able to have a child of my own that I could nurture and watch grow. But it’s a small price to pay, I guess. For this happiness. For the love up here.

So, that’s all folks. I can’t really say much more without giving the whole game away, and I think the suspense will keep you going. I don’t want to disappoint anyone, either. You’ll get here eventually. And when you do, just ask for me. Tell me you read my story. And I guess I’ll see you soon.

Peace out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Right, I'm back from France :D
And this is the last chapter :)
I know it's a total cliche, but I got a bit stuck on how to finish it.
But there you go.
I hope you like it, and I'd love some comments :D
Thank you to everyone who actually made it to the end of this story :')
Peace xx