Status: One-shot

Talking to the Moon

Am I a fool?

Image


“I know you're somewhere out there. Somewhere far away.”

Looking up from his hands in his lap, the twenty-one year old boy stared at Earth's only natural satellite in the sky. The young adult found himself sitting next to his opened window in the middle of the night with a blanket wrapped around his body, keeping him warm from the chilly October weather.

It's been four weeks.

Four weeks since he couldn't sleep properly anymore. Four weeks since he first decided to sit comfortably next to his window, which he had opened, letting the cool air in.

“I want you back, I want you back.”

While the boy sat next to his opened window, he looked up at the moon and continued to talk to it.

“My neighbors think I'm crazy, but they don't understand,” the boy shook his head lightly and continued to stare at the satellite. “You're all I have.”

Indeed, the boy's neighbors thought he was crazy. His neighbors woke up in the middle of the night once, after hearing a voice. They opened their window and saw the twenty-one year old boy sitting by his opened window, talking to the moon. After his neighbors saw him a few nights in a row, they started to tell people in town.

The town where the boy was living in had a little less than five-thousand residents. In the small town, everyone knew each other from the fact that no one barely moved from the neighborhood. It was a cozy town that people liked.

“I feel like I'm famous: the talk of the town. They say I've gone mad,” holding on tighter to the blanket, Tom continued, “Yeah, I've gone mad,” the boy scratched the back of his neck, in an irritated way. “I've gone mad. But they don't know what I know.”

The residents of the town Tom was living in didn't know. They didn't know all the pain the boy was going through. They didn't know he was as lonely he's ever been. But mostly, they didn't know the truth. The residents thought she was done with him, making her leave town.

Tom was the only one who knew the truth. He was the only one who knew that his fiancé was not done. She hadn't left him and move out of town.

Tom was with her when it all happened.

“At night when the stars light up my room, I sit by myself, talking to the moon, trying to get to you in hopes you're on the other side, talking to me too,” he sighed quietly and wiped the falling tear from his face. “Or am I a fool who sits alone, talking to the moon?”

When the boys walks alone in town, people stare at him. They all know he talks to himself at night, not knowing why exactly. But Tom doesn't even bother talking to them. He doesn't want anyone talking to him. Before, he didn't mind when people did because he was happy and he was with her and only her. Now that she's not there anymore, he doesn't bother. He's sad without the one person he truly cared for.

It's been a month. Or thirty-five days to be exact.

It had been thirty-five days since his fiancé died. It all happened suddenly while the couple left to Paris, for a small vacation of three days.

Tom didn't know how. He really didn't know how it happened all so fast.

Alycia had been sitting in the taxi for less than five minutes when it happened. The taxi that Tom had paid and ordered to go park at the famous Eiffel Tower, where someone would've been waiting for her.

It all happened suddenly.

The taxi went at the green light but another car came the opposite side, deciding to go at the red light, which made it crash into the yellow taxi, right in front of Tom's eyes. The car had crashed right into the side of the taxi, making it jerk away and flip two times before landing on the wrong side. Tom had ran, faster than he was capable, to where the cars were and broke down in tears when he saw his lovely fiancé trapped in the taxi, helplessly.

He had pulled her out of the car, laying her head in his lap as he sat down in the middle of the street. He did everything to wake her up but she wouldn't budge.

In that instant, he knew.

He knew that his fiancé wasn't going to wake up.

After that, Tom went back in Germany, deciding on not telling anyone what had happened. He didn't want them to know his Alycia was not among them anymore. People were talking when they had seen the boy come back from Paris with no one by his side. The boy was crying, sobbing and sorrowing but he didn't dare speak to anyone. The residents of the small town in Germany thought that Alycia left him, which explains why he had come back alone, with no one by his side.

The boy didn't cared if they thought Alycia had simply left him for another man and thought he was crazy for talking to 'himself' at night. He rather wanted that than people knowing Alycia was dead and having pity towards him.

Between pity and loneliness, Tom chose loneliness.

He chose loneliness because, for him, he was only lonely in day time. Like Tom had told himself, he had Alycia at night. But ff course she wasn't really there with him.

“Do you ever hear me calling? 'Cause every night I'm talking to the moon, still trying to get to you.”

He hoped that his fiancé heard him talking to her but deep down, he was still hoping for it. He was still hoping that his fiancé was there on the other side, listening to him every night.

Staring at the sky, Tom sighed and closed his eyes.

“I know you're somewhere out there. Somewhere far away.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is short but I like it (:
Hope you enjoyed it as well!
Please comment!!!