Status: Finally Finished!

The Only Hope for Me Is You Alone

Chapter 16 - I'm Not Kissing You Goodbye

A few days past by, and Bert stayed by my side the entire time. He helped me the entire week I was in the hospital.

"Lindsey Way?" a doctor came walking in.
"Lindsey Cobain, I'm divorced"
"I see you're getting the hang of talking. It's a little low and scratchy but, just take the medicine daily and you'll be fine. I want you to stay one more night then I'll send you home."
"Alright, thank you." I said with a polite smile as he walked out. Bert took my hand, it was still early in the morning so, Anna was still sleeping. Typical teenagers.
"Linds.. She was asking a lot about.... Gerard being her father...."
"Gee said that you were her father... She didn't respond to him though"
"When I had Annabel for that week, she... kept talking about Gerard and...it hurt. I want to be the father."
"You are the father."
"She's... a teen. Teenagers don't like their parents."
"Bert, she's different." I smiled. Bert smiled back and kissed my head. Annabel woke up and looked at us.
"Good morning baby" Bert smiled
"Good morning" I smiled also.
"Um..." Annabel looked up at Bert, sorrowfully. "Are.. You really my dad?"
Bert nodded and smiled.
Annabel looked confused.
"Honey... Long story short... I wasn't... a good father to you. Mom got pregnant at a young age, I ran off and Gerard was her boyfriend so they raised you. I went to rehab and everything to get you back in my life." Bert said as he looked at her. "I'm sorry."
Annabel got off the bed and hugged Bert.
Bert grinned and hugged her back.
"You're too beautiful to be a Way. You're a McCracken all right." Bert smiled and giggled.

The rest of the day went along so smooth. Bert told us stories about his life on tour, he made me so happy. Even since the beginning, he was always the type of person to make you happy inside. His smile makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. I don't know why, but I love the feeling. As the day went on, Bert and Annabel connected. Later on, Bert laid down with Annabel; as they were having a serious talk. I pretended to be asleep, but, I'm a mom I eavesdrop.

"Gerard has a drinking problem. He over does it. I drink, but I don't go crazy. He gets full of anger and fury when he's drunk. We used to be best friends, until he got into drinking. Gerard was a nice guy... But, he's messed up. I mean, everyone is baby but, Gerard has depression problems. He decided to go untreated. He messed himself up. Annabel, you're my princess, you always were... But.. Please... Don't go to the wrong guy baby."
"Mom-"
"Mom did go to one. She fell in love in what character Gerard portrayed himself as."
"Bert"
"Yes Annabel?"
"Gerard told me that she does drugs"
"She did. Those are really bad. But, mommy chose to help herself. She's been sober and she's doing great."
My stomach churned. I wanted to throw up.
"I remember when mom caught Gerard cheating on her..."
"That was when she had a drug breakdown"
"I was in a foster home.."
"Honey... No ones perfect but, Gerard got worse. Mom did herself a favor and got better."
I heard crying.. I looked up at the ceiling and that night replayed in my head. Oh God.
"Bert I wanna live with you"
"You and mom are."
"Forever?"
"Forever. Goodnight my little princess"
I heard footsteps, I quickly closed my eyes but tears kept streaming down my cheeks.
"Lindsey.." his arms embraced me in a tight and warm hug. "Lindsey... I love you."
I just hugged him back. Bert climbed into bed next to me and held me into his chest.
I laid my head against his chest and felt his heartbeat. I listened to it and fell asleep.

The second I closed my eyes, my mind went crazy. I went into a deep dream, a dream I didn't want. He was coming at me and I couldn't stop him. I screamed, kicked and cried. I couldn't stop him. He kept coming after me.

"Lindsey! Wake up! Stop kicking come on!" Bert shouted as he held my arms down.
I looked up and tears ran down my cheeks.
"Baby what's wrong?!"
"He's coming again!"
"Who?"
"Gerard!"
"No he's not, I got you baby!"
"Bert please!"
"Lindsey I got him" Bert said as he put his forehead against mine. He wiped my tears then kissed my lips. "I'll protect you forever." He whispered softly.