Full Lips Such as Mine

Tumbling Down.

He simply didn't understand. Jack took a seat in a chair and thought to himself, a disgruntled look on his face. What had he lied about now? Jack ran his hand over his face and sighed heavily as his voice finally returned to him.

"I don't know what you're talking about. . ." he whispered.

"Oh you and your bullshit." Ophelia cursed. Her voice was spiteful and it stabbed at Jack.

"I really don't. I would never lie to you deliberately. I only lie when it benefits me, really, and this isn't benefiting me at all."

Jack's voice had become clear and stern. His eyes burned into the back of Ophelia's head, wishing she could feel his glare and turn around to look at him. But Jack could hear the quiet, muffled sniffles coming from the body on the bed and sighed again. Jack tried again, lowering his voice.

"Please tell me what I lied about. I don't know what you're talking about,"

Ophelia didn't answer him again and Jack didn't press the issue. He didn't know what was wrong with her but it was still the same, meek girl underneath all that confidence. Jack decided to take his chances and approached the bed, crawling on behind Ophelia. Jack rolled over and wrapped his arm protectively around Ophelia, smiling silently when he felt Ophelia turn and huddle into his embrace.

She was such a strange girl, everyone knew it. But sometimes Jack wondered what exactly happened while he was off exploring the high seas. Leaning down and resting his head against Ophelia's, Jack felt asleep only moments after Ophelia did.
---------------------------------------------------------

The next morning was a wonderful morning. Jack awoke to Ophelia huddled up in his arms and her arm slung over his waist. Carefully prying himself away, Jack slipped out of the bed with a smile. He put on his boots and hat and exited the cabin in his usual fashion: a big grin spread across his face. Anamaria immediately approached him. Jack would usually take that as a bad sign and flinch before she even reached him but this morning he didn't seem to feel the danger.

"Jack! What did ye' do t' dat girl!? Ye have done many a' thing Jack Sparrow, but I nevah thought ye'd hurt Ophelia!! Why I should give ye' a good smack in da' head! Smack some sense int' ye!"

Jack smiled at her and nodded nonchalantly.

"Ophelia's fine, lass. She's perfectly fine."

Jack walked off in a cheery fashion, a small skip in his step. Even though Ophelia hadn't told him what was bothering her, Jack was fine. Just seeing Ophelia react so in such an affectionate fashion made Jack forget all about their past problems.

Jack turned on his heels when he heard the cabin door creak open. Ophelia padded out from the cabin, rubbing the sleep from her eyes like a small child. Jack walked over to greet her but stopped when he noticed she wasn't wiping away the drowsiness from her eyes; she was wiping away tears. Alarmed, Jack approached her with caution and asked her if everything was all right.

"Hm? Oh, yes. I'm fine, Jack."

Ophelia gave him a half-hearted smile before turning and walking towards the edge of the boat. When Jack turned to look at her, memories flooded through his head. He remembered when she had grown sick and fallen over board. He remembered when Ophelia had temporarily suffered a horrible fever and nausea. Maybe her strange behavior was because of her illness.

Jack became more and more worried about the situation. He didn't know what this disease was and what it was doing to her but he was frightened inside. And he knew that Ophelia was crying because she was frightened, too.