Status: Just getting started, motorbabies.

Two

Chapter 03 - Jet Star

A killjoy's ability is their identity- the more people know about it the more exposed they are, and therefore vulnerable. So we don't talk about our abilities.

Frank was scowling, sat next to the unconscious Psycho. Gerard was etching something into the dirt with a twig, his gloves looking very worn. Mikey was asleep against the back wall, and Revenge had gone to fetch their supplies.

"Why do we need girls?" Frank grumbled.

"They might come in useful." Gerard answered after a pause. The sentence hung in the air between us like a bad smell. Suddenly, the girl began to stir.

"Where am I?" Her tired voice called out, her throat sounding painfully sore and dry. "What are- you!" She yelled, her voice cracking, reaching for her ray-gun, which Frank had removed from the holster earlier. "Where's my gun?" She shouted, jumping to her feet and putting her hand to her head, staggering, as the blood rushed. Frank stepped forwards to catch her, but she shunned his hand. Gerard went back to etching in the sand, and I continued to tweak the transmissions device.

"Psycho." Frank said in warning. "Your gun's safe." He said. "Now just calm down and-"

"Where's Revenge? You've kidnapped me, haven't you?" She yelled, backing away from Frank.

"No, we haven't." I interrupted.

"Who asked you?" She growled at me.

"That's enough." Gerard snapped.

"Why am I here? Just give me my gun and I'm leaving." She said, stepping towards Frank, her arms outstretched. Frank looked at the gun on the floor, then to Gerard. Psycho saw the gun and drop-rolled to it, snatching it quickly and raising it to aim at Frank's face. Frank stepped back.

"Please, don't shoot. Calm down, stay for a while." Frank stuttered, pressurised.

"Move out of the way and let me go." Psycho growled in a low voice. Her grip shifted on the trigger, ready to shoot.

Suddenly Revenge appeared beside the device I had abandoned.

"Six, what do you think you are doing?" She asked angrily. "I can't leave you for ten fucking minutes!" She said, walking into the line of fire and snatching the ray-gun from her, throwing it to the floor.

"Leave me alone, Poison." Psycho muttered, picking up her gun and sulking in the back of the cave, the only sound two rocks systematically clattering against the stone wall.

Revenge was grumbling something under her breath as she found a nook to rest her sack of supplies in. I heard metal cans sounding against the rocks. The device in my hand suddenly sprang to life.

"-Dracs in Zone 4, two killjoys dusted-" Dr Death Defying's voice ran out from the device, drawing everyone's attention until the signal was interrupted.

"Killjoys, we know you're out there." Better Living Industries have hacked the signal, damn! "We aim to stop this petty rebellion. You will obey." The device would not switch off. "You. Will. Obe-" I ripped out the antennae.

"Dammit." I growled. I looked around at everyone's disappointed faces. All except Psycho, who was not looking our way but she was still, her shoulders hunched in tension.

"At least Dr D's still running." Gerard broke the silence.

"Yeah, I guess so." Frank answered.

"You still have your transmissions device?" Revenge finally asked in awe. I passed it over to her.

"We take good care of it." I said quietly as her fingers brushed lightly over the buttons and dials.

"Do you want me to show you how it works?" Mikey asked, getting to his feet. Gerard and I exchanged a knowing glance. I smiled as they began to talk about the device.

I'm sure Revenge knew how to use it, it was just cute how Mikey had taken a shine to the girl. Psycho started throwing rocks again, loudly, angrily.

I got up and walked over to her.

"Don't even start." She said as I opened my mouth to speak. "I don't care what you have to say." She continued, not breaking her rock throwing rhythm. "I don't want to speak to you, go away." She snapped.

"Sorry." I mumbled, surprised, walking away.

"Six!" Revenge snapped, pausing her conversation with Mikey. "What have I told you?"

"Sorry, Revenge. Sorry, Jet Star." She said, turning to look at me. Her eyes were red, as if she had been crying, but no tearstains had dried on her face. She reached out her arms and I knelt down to hug her. She was a little stiff, but I felt the hidden emoton behind the embrace. Her fist tightened on my jacket, then as she drew back, her eyes were cold again.

"That's better." Revenge said.

"Yeah." Psycho said bitterly, turning away and throwing stones again. I sighed.

"Fun Ghoul, Party Poison, what you talkin' about?" I asked, moving over to the two friends who were talking at the other side of the small cave.