Status: Discontinued, sorry lovelies! xo

Beautiful Things

Fourteen.

Morgan had mentally taken note of everything I had told him. There wasn't much I could tell though, since I hardly remembered anything. I wanted to help so desperately, but everything before the argument between my two kidnappers was a blur.

A professional looking woman entered the room, sending Morgan on his way. I asked Reid to stay with me, because honestly I was scared. This woman, Dr. Brady had told me, was to check my memory loss, since it wasn't supposed to happen.

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave," she said kindly to Reid.

"No!" I exclaimed. "I mean, can he stay? I'd like it if he was here."

She seemed skeptical, but allowed him to stay because of the circumstances. For one thing, he was an FBI Agent and this could be helpful information, and also because I was completely terrified.

It was quick and then it was over. She asked a few simple questions and took a few tests. It was a form of amnesia, she said, and I had nothing to worry about.

But I did.

"I hate how I can't help with the case," I sighed in defeat.

"They're both in custody, Megan," Reid replied, "Don't beat yourself up over it."

"I know, but I just feel like since I survived, I'm supposed to be the one who tells everyone what the victims went through and just how twisted these people are. I feel like I can't do them justice until I do."

"Hey," he said, which forced my eyes to link with his, "You're in the hospital, it's not your job. Once you're healthy again, you can worry about the victims, but just worry about yourself right now. Please."

I promised I would keep my mind set on getting better, and then I would return to the station with full force. He smiled when he heard that. I knew it was because he couldn't believe how obsessed I was with my job, but I had to be.

"Hotch wants to talk to you," Reid told me after a long silence.

"What? When did he tell you that?"

"Before Morgan and I left to come visit you," he replied.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, cluelessly.

"Yeah, every thing's okay. It's actually...it's something good."

"Oooh, can you tell me?" I cooed.

He laughed as he shook his head. "No, I can't."

"Please?" I begged. "Just a little hint?"

I put on my best puppy dog face, even though I knew it wouldn't work. Reid wasn't easily persuaded, no matter how hard I tried. I pouted after he shook his head again.

I wondered what Hotch could possibly want to talk to me about, and it made me wonder even more after Reid said it was something good. Could it be about the case? I hoped it was. I needed to hear something good.

Dr. Brady entered the room. He would've knocked, but the door was wide open. He had a clipboard in his hand and looked happy, so I was assuming there was good news.

"How are you feeling?" he asked me.

"Better," I assured him.

I was feeling better. I wasn't sure if it was because of all the rest, or if it was because Reid was by my side, as he had been for the whole day. Either way, it was good.

"You're scheduled for release today," he told me. "I'll sign you out."

"Seriously?" I asked excitedly.

"Yes," he laughed, but then took a more serious tone. "There's some conditions though. You have to take it easy at work, and you're only allowed desk work for the next month, understood?"

"Desk work for a month?" I groaned. "Okay, fine."

Dr. Brady unhooked all of the wires from me and turned off my machines, then he left me to get ready for release.

"Do you need help getting up?" Reid offered.

I nodded and he helped me off the bed. A fresh outfit they had brought from my house was sitting on a chair. I was so excited to be rid of this hospital gown.

"I'll wait outside," Reid said as he noted me staring at my clothes.

He headed for the door and shut it behind him. I slowly, because I was still sore, put them on and tied my shoelaces. Everything almost felt normal for a second, but it wasn't.

Image

I rushed into the office with Reid trailing behind me. I was too excited. Just the smell of the station was enough to make me feel at home again. I was ready to get right back into the game, even if I could only do it from behind a desk.

"Good to see you back," Prentiss said as I entered the media room.

"Thanks," I retorted.

I looked around to see the whole team packing away the case files. Of course they were. They had caught the bad guys and now they had to go back to Quantico. Of course.

"We put together a file for the trial," Morgan told me, handing it over.

I took it and held it tightly. I would open it in the safe environment of my office, where nothing could damage the contents.

I didn't know if a court trial counted as being out on the field or if my doctor would approve of it, but I had to attend to that at least. I was a witness.

"Thank you," I replied.

"Feeling better?"

"Much."

I smiled and dismissed myself, heading into my office. I was too eager to look over this file. That wasn't about to happen though, because suddenly there was a knock at my door.

"Come in," I called out.

It was Reid. He came in hesitantly.

"Oh hey," I immediately smiled, "Have a seat."

He did so. He blinked a few too many times and moved his lips in an anxious way. I just waited patiently.

"We're flying out tomorrow morning," he said.

"I know," I sighed.

"So there's this place around the corner that I've wanted to try, but haven't had the chance yet--"

"I'd love to," I spit out before thinking. My hand slapped my mouth closed. "Sorry," I mumbled through my fingers.

He laughed, thankfully. "No, it's okay. I was going to ask if you wanted to go there with me tonight so..."

"You know where I live," I reminded him sweetly.

"Yeah, I do," he smiled, "Seven?"

"Seven's perfect."

He excused himself and left me sitting in my office, smiling to myself like I was a teenage girl. I felt super ridiculous, but I couldn't help it. I couldn't stop the over dramatic, excited little girl in me from shining through.

Another knock on the door stopped all my thoughts and made me put on my most professional face.

"It's open," I said.

Hotch opened the door so slightly and looked at me. His face was as serious as ever.

"Can I have a word with you?" he asked, and it wasn't like I had any other choice.
♠ ♠ ♠
About time, I know! Thank you all for being so patient, you guys are darlings! <3