Status: Discontinued, sorry lovelies! xo

Beautiful Things

Two.

A full day passed. I was completely on edge the entire time. I waited eagerly for the call saying the body had been identified. This was a small town, things like this took time. I was pacing my office, reading over some paperwork, chewing hard on my polished nail. The ringing of my desk phone startled me.

I picked it up, unsure of what I'd hear. The scientist kept it short and quick, so he wasn't wasting either of our time. He told me the body had belonged to Christina Laufer. Christina.

A hollowness fell over my body and a weakness grew in my knees. I made on like everything was okay as I thanked them and hung up the phone. The first thing I did was call in one of my most respected men.

"Hey Mason," I said as he sat down in the chair opposite my desk.

"What can I do for ya, Meg?"

"I need you to inform the family of Christina Laufer about her death," I replied, "And once you have, call me."

"Sure thing, Boss," he accepted and then he left my office to begin his task.

The second thing I did was call Rory into my office. He grinned slyly as he sat down in the chair Mason abandoned. Unexpectedly, Rory dropped another tape on my desk. He told me it was received less than half an hour ago. This time, written on the front, was Nicole. It was the same chicken scratch.

"Why didn't you let me know as soon as it got here?" I demanded, allowing my fury to unleash. I stood up tall behind my desk.

"I watched it first, you know, to make sure it was the real deal," he assured me. I wasn't buying it, though.

"Next time, bring it to me first. You are not in charge of this department and I'll be damned if I allow you to make the decisions I should be, am I clear?"

"Yes, Ma'am," he hissed reluctantly.

"Good. I called you in here to discuss bringing the FBI into this. I take it you have done some research? Do you think they'd take a case like this and how soon?"

"Well, since we've got another tape on our hands, and taking into consideration what happened to the last girl," Rory said, "They'll come. We've got a serial killer in the making here."

A serial killer in the making, as he phrased it. Never had I ever dreamed of dealing with something so huge. This would put our small town on the map, and our force would be well respected once we caught this bastard. If we caught this bastard, which we are going to do everything in our power to do.

On the other hand, I didn't want to believe it. This guy was sick, I could tell from what he'd done to the first body. Our small town's name would also be ruined by such a scandal. The only thing to do was to get this under control. And eliminate the enemy. This serial killer chose the wrong girl to mess with.

Image

"Our case is approved!" Rory announced as he entered the office, throwing his arms up in the air as if he was our saviour. I knew he'd want bragging rights for this.

He strolled over to where I was, beside the coffee machine as usual, watching over everyone. He poured himself a cup and drank rewardingly. A smile was placed on his face, a rare sight in this station. I could tell he was loosening up, for he thought he had my job in the bag after this case.

"You think you're hot shit, eh?" I muttered.

"Well aren't I?" he retorted charmingly.

I rolled my eyes. "I wouldn't get too comfortable. I hear the FBI guys are going to come in here and act like they run the place."

"You'll handle it," he said assuringly, though it was far from it, "Won't you?"

Instead of proving myself to him, I took my full coffee mug and walked away. I headed into my office and filled out paperwork while I waited for the BAU to arrive. Rory had no trouble barging into my office and announcing it. I straighted out my skirt with my hands as I made my way out the door.

"Hi, I'm Megan," I greeted them as I extended a hand. Then I gestured towards Rory. "This is Officer--"

"Rory Erickson, nice to meet you," he quickly stole the spotlight.

"I'm SSA Aaron Hotchner, this is SA David Rossi and Emily Prentiss," clearly the man in charge explained. He had the same look Rory always had, which was funny because it didn't seem to get Rory anywhere.

"Last names okay?" I asked comically, for they names he had shared seemed awfully formal for around here.

"Yes, that's fine," he assured me, "Agents Morgan and Reid have gone to examine the crime scene. Is there a place we could set up?"

"Of course, right this way," I told him. I turned to walk away. I felt anxious as they followed me. These were serious FBI Agents. This was the real deal. In this place, we only dreamed of meeting the big times. Though the circumstances were unfortunate.

I showed them our media room, which was pretty much used as storage. We were old school and didn't use the whiteboard or overhead projector. There was a table in the middle with surely enough chairs for all of them and a computer at a desk in the corner. One of my men had fetched the case files for me and placed them on the table. The tapes included.

Hotchner opened the box and looked rather disappointed. All we really had were the two tapes, unorganized notes, and the pictures of the deceased. I hoped the other agents would find something we missed at the scene.

"Could we get a VCR in here?" Prentiss requested.

I sent Rory to find one, as well as a television. I stayed with the BAU, watching them closely. I tried studying their faces as they looked at the pictures and read over the notes. None of them even batted an eye at the disturbing images and details. I couldn't even imagine what was going through their minds, and I wasn't sure I wanted to.