Status: Discontinued, sorry lovelies! xo

Beautiful Things

Nine.

With no new bodies, there was nothing more to go on. The team had assembled a profile. Once they were sure of it, I gathered my officers to listen to them. I sat at the back and admired their presentation.

The way they each took turns talking, without planning it beforehand, was interesting. They seemed to cover almost everything. I hope desperately they were right, because it was the only thing we had to go off of. We've done everything else and it lead to nothing.

The team wrapped it up.

"Alright everyone, keep your eyes open," I told the group and then they dispatched.

"You okay?" Morgan asked as he strolled over.

"Yeah...yeah, I'm okay," I replied.

"You seem a little distracted, something on your mind?"

I shook my head. It wasn't very convincing. Or maybe I was just stupid for trying to fool a profiler. Morgan smiled temptingly at me and I couldn't keep my mouth closed any longer.

"Rory said some things," I admitted.

Morgan chuckled, "Don't worry about what that guy has to say. You're a good cop, and you're going places, Megan. Now him, well I think we both know where he's going."

Morgan walked away after I gave him a smile. That was all I knew how to reply with. What he just said had meant a lot, but I wasn't sure how to tell him that. So I tried to without words.

I headed into my office, just wanting to sit alone for awhile. I felt safe with a team of FBI Agents and a whole bunch of police officers who were equipped just outside. It was nice to be alone, but safe. I hadn't been alone in a long time, and I just wanted to breathe.

A knock on the door made me groan accidentally.

"Come in," I shouted.

Prentiss let herself into my office. She closed the door behind her and sat down across from me. She smiled sympathetically. I felt Morgan had sent her.

"How are you doing?" she asked quietly.

"Better," I replied, and this time I didn't even believe myself, so I wasn't sure how I expected Prentiss to.

She stared at me, as if she was analyzing me. I shifted in my seat as I casually avoided eye contact. I wish she would just come right out and say it.

"Maybe you should stop working the case."

The words hung in the air. I couldn't get rid of them even if I tried with a febreeze air freshener. We sat in uncomfortable silence. I didn't want to stop working the case. I had to prove that I could catch this sick bastard and keep my emotions in check.

"I can't, Prentiss," I replied. "I can't do it."

"I understand," she retorted surprisingly.

"You do?"

She nodded. "I wouldn't give up either."

Prentiss stood up and turned towards the door.

"Hey Emily?" I piped up. She turned to look at me. "Thanks."

She seemed to know for what.

Image

Reid and I walked to the coffee shop around the corner. I was tired of sitting in my office, and every time I tried to do some work, all I would get in reply was: "You know, you should have some relax time!"

I was tired of being constantly under surveillance with nothing to do. I somewhat forced Reid to walk to the coffee shop with me, because one: I couldn't be alone, two: if I couldn't be alone, he was the next best thing.

"It's nice out," he commented.

"Very," I said.

"The weather earlier this week was so... gloomy."

"Are you done?"

Reid laughed, "Sorry for trying to be social."

"It's not working for you," I teased playfully.

"And you're a social butterfly, Miss. I-Lock-Myself-In-My-Office-All-Day?"

"That's totally different! I'm watched all the time, so being alone is like a treat."

"Well since a serial killer is trying to track you down--"

"I know, I know, it's understandable."

We arrived at the coffee shop. Reid grabbed the door for me. I thanked him kindly. We ordered our coffees, and even though I insisted on paying, he did for both of us.

We sat at a table by the window.

"So I guess this is like an official date now, huh?"

Reid's expression turned blank as he stammered on the words he tried to force out. I had a good laugh.

"Easy, stud, I'm just screwing with you."

He took it well and laughed too. The way his eyes lit up when he laughed was incredible. I couldn't help but stare. I didn't understand how a girl hadn't come by yet and nabbed him.

"Don't try to be more social," I insisted.

"I know I have a lot of work to do, but--"

"You're perfect the way you are," I interrupted him. "You should have a little more faith in yourself, you know."

I sipped my coffee and stared out the window. I waited for his reply, but I knew he wouldn't give one. He was too shy to take a compliment, I knew that but did it anyway. I didn't need a reply though.

I just wanted him to know.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello beautiful subscribers, comment something you want to happen, or something you liked, or even something you didn't like. I'm writing this story mostly for you guys, so I want to know what made you click on it and continually read it? :) Thanks lovelies! xo