This Is Where It All Went Down

What This Night Was For

So this is where it all went down. Huntington Beach, California.

I'd just moved there and was getting a pretty steady job as a life guard on the beach. Not the dream life but it was enough to pay for the small house I just bought. I'd just moved out of my parents house in Texas to come to Golden West College.

I'm glad I moved there. As cheesy as it sounds I meant the love of my life in Huntington Beach. He may not have had the best profession at the time but really, who does when they first start living on their own?

So here's my our story.

One Year Ago

Day One

"Shit! Son of a bitch that hurt!" I yelled. I earned a few stares from my new neighbors giving them a great first impression of me on my first day here. Lovely.

I started picking up the heavy box that had rudely given me a paper cut on my finger. I'd only made it a quarter way toward the door when the box started to once again slip from my fingers. Just as it was about to fall to my feet again an arm reached under it and kept it from doing so.

"Whoa," a masculine voice said. Looking up I saw it was just the mail man. "Here let me help you." he said.

"Thanks," I said finally looking up to his face.

Holy. Shit.

This was no ordinary mail man. This was a mother fucking sexy ass mailman. He had jet black hair spiked in every direction, brown chocolate eyes, high cheek bones, a nose piercing, and the last and best thing I noticed about him were the tattoos covering practically all of his buff arms.

"Hey don't mention it." he said smiling at me. All I could do was stare and I was pretty sure it was noticeable. "So uh, where do you want me to put this thing?"

I hadn't even noticed that we'd walked into the house and were now standing in the small foyer.

"Oh, uh just set it down in there please." I said pointing to the empty living room. He obediently walked into the room placing it down on the floor.

"So you're the new neighbor people've been talking about."

"People were talking about me?"

"Yeah all kinds of things. I mean practically everything you could think of except for one thing."

"Yeah? And what would that be? Hmm?" I asked.

"None of them, absolutely none, mentioned how pretty you were gonna be."

Holy. Mother fucker.

Did this sexy as hell mail man just hit on me? Damn it was a good day to wear my short shorts and this shirt!

The only downside about this moment was that I turned red as a tomato and started to look down at my feet.

He just chuckled and told me his name was Brian Haner... Jr.

"Well Brian, it was nice meeting you and thanks for the help with the box."

We had talked for about 20 minutes and was now leaving my house to continue doing whatever mailmen do after their shift of delivering mail.

"No problem Jailene. I guess I'll see you around."

"Yeah. Definitely." I said.

He started walking down the street as I started to close my door.

-x-


Pretty romantic so far right? Gets even better. Somehow me and Brian ran into each other practically anywhere you could think of. I even ran into him at the Hot Topic store with his sister once. Eventually we became great friends. And after friends came...

[Three Months Later

"So so what do you think you're doing later Jailene?"

"Probably nothing why?"

Right now we were sitting in my living room watching some TV. Yes surprisingly Brian and I got so close that I was completely comfortable with having him in my house for movie night.

"Nothing. Just wondering that's all."

"Yeah, and I'm really Tinkerbell. C'mon. What were you going to say Brian?"

He stared at the TV but kept biting his bottom lip like he always did when he was nervous about asking a girl out.

Wait. Was he really biting his lip? Was he really nervous about asking a girl out?

"Oh my God. Bri whose the girl?"

"Girl? How'd you know it was about a girl?"

"C'mon I know you well enough by now don't you think?"

"Yeah I guess."

"So... who is it?"

"Just this girl I've been hanging out with alot lately, she's really cool and funny." he said with his signature smirk plastered on his face.

"Well that tells me nothing Bri!' I said throwing my hands in the air. "I mean you could be hanging out with lots of funny girls! I mean look at you!"

"So you're saying that you find me hot?" he smirked.

I just ignored him and making it completely obvious, well in my mind, that I was avoiding the question.

"Seriously! You've got the tattoos and everything! But really what does telling me that she's funny do to help me figure ou-"

I couldn't finish the second part of my rant for two reasons.

1. I was rudely interrupted.

2. I was completely in love with the way Brian's lips were keeping me from talking.

A few seconds later he pulled away and said, "Hint. She laughs at all my stupid jokes when I'm drunk."

Another kiss.

"Hint," he said again. "She can totally kick my ass at Call of Duty."

Another kiss.

"Hint. She can almost play guitar as good as me."

Another kiss.

"Hint. I met her about three months ago."

Another kiss.

"Hint," he paused. "She's sitting on this couch with me."

Again he kissed me but this one was longer and more intense than the last. Soon I had to pull away from the lack of oxygen I was getting.

"Wow." I said.

He smiled at me and gently stroked my face with the hand that was resting on my cheek.

"Wow Bri I... didn't know you were into Jimmy like that."

Throwing his head back he laughed his usual laugh.

"Ha! I connected the dots! See! You've been hanging out with Jimmy alot lately, he totally kicks your ass at Call of Duty, and he laughs at all of your drunk jokes!"

We sat there for a few minutes just laughing with each other at my small little joke. When our laugh faded out and our stomachs didn't feel so sore we just stared at each other for a minute.

"No," he said. "It's not Jimmy. I didn't meet Jimmy three months ago, Jimmy isn't a girl, and Jimmy isn't here."

"But everything else fi-"

"Just stop talking." he said before his lips connected with mine again.

Again we sat there making out, but this was the most intense, passionate, and... romantic kiss that we'd had yet. Our lips were moving in complete sync, as if this was something we've been practicing for for a while.

"Hint," he said pulling on slightly away to where I could still feel his breath on my lips. "Her name is Jailene, Mary, Kennedy."

"Oh, that's a pretty name."

He let out a small chuckle and the hand that was on my face moved down to my neck.

"What are you doing later Jailene?"

"Going out."

"With who?" he asked confusion covering all his facial features.

"Brian Haner Jr."

~*~


So that was how our first date happened. Jimmy went completely nuts about our get together and rubbed it in all the guys faces that he was right and was owed five bucks from every one of them for winning the bet.

I can go on and on about the many dates that followed the first but, maybe I should skip to the last one we had.

Nine Months Later

I woke up to find the other side of my bed cold and empty.

"Bri?"

No answer.

I looked around to find our apartment completely empty of any other person but me. But what I did find was a small letter on Brian's pillow.

Dear J,

Morning beautiful. Sorry I couldn't be there when you woke up like usual but I needed to go do some things. I was up all night thinking about this and I decided to take my chances and sup rise you with a gift later tonight. Don't worry about dressing fancy or anything. I know how you hate that. Dress like how you would if we were going to meet up with Jimmy.

I'll come by and pick you up at 7.

I love you.


Love, Bri.


Huh. Well then guess I better get ready soon. I looked over at the clock and saw that it was about 12 o'clock in the afternoon.

I decided to go and eat my usual cereal and watch some That 70's Show all day. I had gotten to the episode of the yearbook pictures when I saw that it was about 5:30. Deciding to finally get off my lazy but and get ready I went to shower, turning the water on as hot as it could go.

I decided to shave and shampoo my hair even though I had done so the night before. When I got out of the shower I briskly dried myself off and walked to the closet to pick out what to wear. He said if we were meeting Jimmy so that meant I had to dress casual but also sexy to where I could go into a club and still look hot. I chose to wear some nice purple jeans and a nice club-ish blouse.

After I chose my clothes I dried and straightened my hair, adding in some waves with my curler. For my make up I only did a small amount of black eyeliner and purple eyeshadow. I was ready by 6:30 and since I had nothing else to do I decided to paint my nails black.

Knock, knock, knock.

Running to the door I looked through the peephole seeing Brian standing there wearing jeans and a button down shirt with his classic fedora and bandanna. Hurriedly I unlocked the bolts on the door and as soon as I opened that door I practically ran out of it and kissed him.

"Whoa, Babe easy." he said laughing.

"Hmm, sorry I just haven't seen you all day that's all."

"Well you're ready to go right? 'Cause I'm making up for today tonight."

"Bri, I told you we can't fool around tonight." I laughed.

"Trust me babe, we'll be using the bed tonight." he smirked.

Rolling my eyes in a playful manner we walked out the door and to the car.

"So where we going babe?" I asked.

"Movies, then a club after."

"Hmm, movie and the club. I still don't see how we'll be using the bed."

"You'll see."

When we got to the movies we ended up going to see Due Date with Robert Downey Jr. and laughing our asses off. At the club we had to park about two blocks away to find a parking spot.

Once we were inside I couldn't even hear myself talk over the loud music playing for people to dance to. As soon as we got inside we went straight to the dance floor and grinded it up. By the time we were leaving my feet were hurting like hell from the shoes I was wearing.

"Babe," I said.

"Hmm?"

"Can you carry mee? My feet huuurt." I said in my whiny, childish voice. But still he agreed. Once we got to the car we both agreed on going straight home due to the fact that it was about midnight.

Arriving at our building we went straight to our apartment and relaxed and watched some TV.

"Alright," Bri said in the middle of the commercial. We had been cuddled up on the couch in just our t-shirts and boxers. Well I was wearing a t-shirt... he wasn't. Hallelujah!

"What?"

"This is what this entire night has been for. Look I know we haven't even been together for a year but, I really love you."

"I love you to Bri." I smiled.

"Well then," he said leaning over to the coffee table and pulling something out of the drawer. "Do you love me enough to take this?"

"Bri, you need to show me wha- Oh my god."

What he pulled out of the box was a beautiful diamond engagement ring. I was in so much shock that I didn't realize that I was just staring at the ring.

"J, I love you. I really don't see what my life would be without having you in it. So I'm asking you this... will you marry me?"

I finally looked up from the ring with a huge smile on my face.

"Yes." I said.

"Yes?" he asked. "Yes?"

I frantically nodded my head and laughed and so did he. Slipping the ring onto my finger he kissed me and pulled away with a smile on his face.

"Babe." I said hugging him close.

"Yeah?"

"I think this is the part where we get to use the bed."