Playing With Fire

Flame

Mel and I entered the lunchroom, sitting at our usual table. It was near the door, making escape easier if a food fight ensued. Both of us picked at our food, neither one particularly hungry. Suddenly Mel snickered, and my head shot up.

"So did he smell like boy?" she asked, smirking. I snorted and shook my head.

"No, surprisingly. He smelled like smoke." I smiled at the memory.

"You must have enjoyed that," she remarked, blinking up at me through her dark lashes. I threw my plastic spoon at her, making both of us laugh. We were interrupted by Jake leaning over me and grabbing the spoon out of the air. I jumped, shrieking quietly and covering my mouth with both hands. Mel laughed hysterically, and Jake smirked. I glared at him, then turned and threw my water bottle at Mel. She literally fell off her chair.

"You seem to be enjoying yourselves," Jake chuckled. I stuck my tongue out at him, too besotted by his scent to speak. Mel was still cackling like an idiot.

"Anyway, we saw you sitting by yourselves, and we were wondering if you wanted to sit by us," Jake said, obviously amused. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Who is 'we?'" I managed to choke out. Jake pointed to a group of people across the lunchroom. I recognized three, but didn't know their names. I looked at Mel, who was wiping tears of laughter from her eyes.

"Sure," she said, clutching her ribs. I hoped they hurt from laughing so much. We stood up, and she threw my water bottle back to me. We both threw away our food yet again as we followed Jake. As we approached his table, I shot a quick glance at Mel. She stuck her tongue out at me, and I gave her a slight push.

"Guys, this is Sayuri Edwards and..." Jake paused, looking at me to answer.

"Mel Meyer," Mel filled in, grinning. A boy I recognized wiggled his eyebrows, making Mel frown and shoot me a dubious look.

"What? You're hot; what do you expect?" I whispered. She shoved me playfully, and we each took a seat at the table: me by Jake, and Mel, to her disgust, by the guy who had oggled at her.

"Is that your natural hair color?" a girl asked suddenly. I looked up to see her brown eyes looking into my green ones. I nodded, unsmiling. I suddenly didn't want to be here. The smell of boy flooded my nostrils, making me want to vomit.